What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

Pneuma

First Grade
I actually grew up in Brisbane. You couldn't even get that right. 🙄

Roy Masters' article is based on television ratings you dope. That's actual evidence. Not delusional fake anecdotes like the crap you tried to pass off as "fact".

This year's GF between Parra and Sydney drew the lowest national TV rating in history. It drew a terrible audience in Brisbane. That's evidence proving you're full of shit.

NRL Grand Final ratings sink to historic low​
The 2022 NRL grand final has proven a ratings flop, with historically low numbers tuning in for Sunday evening’s season finale.​
The 2022 NRL grand final has proven a ratings flop, with historically low numbers tuning in for Sunday evening’s contest between the Penrith Panthers and Parramatta Eels at Accor Stadium.​
The Panthers secured a second-consecutive NRL premiership by toppling their cross-town rivals 28-12 in front of 82,415 fan at Sydney Olympic Park.​
But there wasn’t a whole lot of interest outside of Sydney.​
According to MediaWeek, 2,367,000 fans tuned in nationally for the one-sided match, making it the smallest NRL grand final television audience on record.​
It marks the first time the overall television audience for an NRL season finale has dipped below 2.5 million viewers in the history of OzTam ratings data.​
These numbers are substantially lower than 2020 and 2021, when most of Australia was stuck in lockdown, but also the 2019 grand final between the Sydney Roosters and Canberra Raiders.​
Only 252,000 people tuned in from Melbourne, the second-lowest viewership from the Victorian capital since 2000.​
The numbers for other metro markets were 391,000 in Brisbane, 77,000 in Adelaide and 114,000 in Perth, according to MediaWeek.​

Of course I know why teams who have a monopoly on a city draw better crowds than nine teams who are competing over the same market. It's why I'm arguing for Sydney to be rationalised down to a number it can actually support. 😃

Thank you for proving that Sydney's nine clubs draw shit crowds because there's not enough RL fans in the market to support them. Maybe you'll get a clue and realise the only way to change this dilemma is by getting rid of a few.
You really are a very angry rude person.

Iamback

Coach
I’m happy to support a club that has nearly 400 junior teams, owns its own ground, is growing its asset base and is growing its brand.
It’s not the biggest club I grant you that. But in any competition of this nature some clubs will be bigger than others. That’s true of competitions all around the world including the Bundesliga and the EPL. It’s a fact of life. Proud to be a Sharkie mate. We’ll be round for many decades to come. Enjoy!

That is the dumb thing. Every comp has big clubs and small clubs, NRL clubs unlike some of those big clubs in other competitions make profits

Yes but they played there and you said the only side that played there was the Gold Coast Chargers.
It was a temporary arrangement until Robina Stadium was built. Plus it was 15 years ago since they last played at the ground. Surely that's enough time for our friend to realise the Titans aren't based at Carrara.

Pneuma

First Grade
Last years GF TV ratings, like the the AFL, that people won't watch a one sided match and that FTA TV ratings are in decline.

Where did the NRL GF rank in terms of most watched TV shows for 2022, would be a better stat.
Both were well down but our ratings picked up once 9 now and other streaming were added. Both were disappointing though and demonstrate the decline in fta viewing overall. A daily glance at the tv ratings sites demonstrate that 1,000,000 fta viewers for prime time shows in the metro space, once the rule, are now the exception. There is no coming back.

Reflector

Bench
For myself I'm happy with the NRL expansion plan so far and welcome with open arms the Dolphins and wish them all the best. I can see them becoming the most popular club in South East Qld in no time, like, by about round 4 I reckon.
Give it a decade, and I can see Broncos v Dolphins having a similar intensity as Roosters v Souths. Cowboys v Broncos was a friendly rivalry between cousins for many years and it has picked up some spice in the last decade- but there's still the distance separating them.

Dolphins and Broncos are fighting for hearts and minds of the same city. Like Roosters v Souths, supporters of both will live in the same neighbourhoods and work in the same places to a greater degree than the Cowboys.

Plus more Qld teams strengthens the NRL in Qld while also weakening the advantage Qld have always had in Origin over NSW, so I'm all for it!

Latest posts