What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can not see how playing 3-4 NRL players makes a club Tier 2

But when the same club plays with 0 NRL players which happens during SOO or high injury periods it suddenly becomes Tier 3
Yep, people in these locations aren’t going to follow a nrl teams reserve grade, theyll follow their local club if it’s a good day out and the only show in town. Look at high school football in usa and you have an idea of what could be possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d aim for 4 state and nz conferences, ten semi pro teams in each conference. 18 game regular season then top 4 teams in each conference go into a knock out cup scenario. That would creat some good local media and interest as well as make it fun for players playing interstate.

eventually expand to incLuce Vic and png conferences

the wider-benefit is these 50 clubs will also have whole grassroots age groups under them. Might help the games decline in many areas?

Pneuma

First Grade
I’d aim for 5 state conferences, ten semi pro teams in each conference. 18 game regular season then top 4 teams in each conference go into a knock out cup scenario. That would creat some good local media and interest as well as make it fun for players playing interstate.

eventually expand to incLuce Vic and png conferences

the wider-benefit is these 50 clubs will also have whole grassroots age groups under them. Might help the games decline in many areas?
Potato

FFS. Do you understand how politics works? WTF is your point anyway? A Sydney team was provided government funding.... and a Queensland team didn't receive the same amount of funding? Seriously? You're just whinging and arguing for the sake of it now.
Learn how to follow a discussion. The person I was responding to said the Sydney clubs can use their gaming machine revenue to fund infrastructure projects like a high performance training facility. The Eels ($4.5M) only spent 22.5% as much as the Cowboys ($20m). I don't give a f**k if it was pork barrelling from the NSW gov. The point remains that the Eels didn't do what the poster said. If you cannot see the relevance then leave the discussion for those who can.

Pneuma

First Grade
Learn how to follow a discussion. The person I was responding to said the Sydney clubs can use their gaming machine revenue to fund infrastructure projects like a high performance training facility. The Eels ($4.5M) only spent 22.5% as much as the Cowboys ($20m). I don't give a f**k if it was pork barrelling from the NSW gov. The point remains that the Eels didn't do what the poster said. If you cannot see the relevance then leave the discussion for those who can.
Potato

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Food This Is Fine GIF by Sherchle

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
How does rugby league being the number one sport in western Sydney justify the exorbitant amount spent by three tiers of government on one club after gifting them a $300m stadium?

Rugby league is also the number one sport across all of Queensland, yet our clubs are expected to pay their way.

You're just deflecting from the fact that Parramatta paid just $4.5m (6.9%) towards their $65m CoE despite your claim that Sydney's Leagues Clubs can use gaming machine revenue to fund their footballing instructure.

The Cowboys High Performance Centre is also a "community asset" available to the public and other sports, yet Cowboys are footing 50% of its bill. Looks like Cowboys actually invest in their community. Not like the parasites from Sydney.

Probably has something to do with western Sydney being a key region for both the major parties at the upcoming NSW state election.

Both parties have been falling all over themselves to keep funding projects in that part of Sydney for that very reason.

gerg

Juniors

They probably could but didn't have to because someone else was willing to pay for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal for the club. Why would any sporting organisation refuse money offered by the government? Why are you running the game down like this?

They probably could but didn't have to because someone else was willing to pay for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal for the club. Why would any sporting organisation refuse money offered by the government? Why are you running the game down like this?
Not all Sydney clubs will get a sweet deal like this. It'll create a widening gap between those who do and those who don't.

Just a few years ago the Eels were running at a significant loss.

gerg

Juniors
Not all Sydney clubs will get a sweet deal like this. It'll create a widening gap between those who do and those who don't.

Just a few years ago the Eels were running at a significant loss.

Say what?

So the government offers to pay for this, what should the Eels do? Refuse? In a few years another electorate may be in the same position and the local rugby league team could benefit from it in a similar way.

Say what?

So the government offers to pay for this, what should the Eels do? Refuse? In a few years another electorate may be in the same position and the local rugby league team could benefit from it in a similar way.
The Eels are entitled to take whatever is offered to them by the gov. I don't begrudge them for accepting the offer.

The hypothetical future funding situation you've alluded is not guaranteed to ever happen. Even if it were to occur, it doesn't change the fact that this deal gives Parramatta a significant advantage over every Sydney club that doesn't have a bransld new stadium and high performance training centre in the foreseeable future. It will lead to Parramatta generating significantly more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than smaller clubs like Wests, Canterbury, St George and Manly.

Do you dispute any of this?

The odds of Manly, St George or Cronulla ever getting this sort of funding is so remote it's not worth taking seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if South Sydney got a bit of help to build a high performance training centre.

siv

First Grade
The Eels are entitled to take whatever is offered to them by the gov. I don't begrudge them for accepting the offer.

The hypothetical future funding situation you've alluded is not guaranteed to ever happen. Even if it were to occur, it doesn't change the fact that this deal gives Parramatta a significant advantage over every Sydney club that doesn't have a bransld new stadium and high performance training centre in the foreseeable future. It will lead to Parramatta generating significantly more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than smaller clubs like Wests, Canterbury, St George and Manly.

Do you dispute any of this?

The odds of Manly, St George or Cronulla ever getting this sort of funding is so remote it's not worth taking seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if South Sydney got a bit of help to build a high performance training centre.
With the new rules introduced around the Football operations cap, clubs have focused on building CoE's

Penrith using their LC money were the first

Dragons have theirs at Wollongong university
Parra at Kellyville
Manly inside the new Brooky northern stand
Wests-Tigers have theirs at Concord
Souths will go to Heffron soon
Newcastle are getting one built
Easts got a SFS deal for theirs

Havent heard on the Canterbury or Cronulla front yet

And yes all had a % of club & government (local/state/federal) funding

In 5 years we will see a new thing clubs will start investing $5 to 10 mil into to improve performances of the professional playing group

Bulldog2020

Juniors
I think both the Bulldogs & Sharks are well down the track. Plan for the Bulldogs is an extension out the back of the Stand at Belmore.

Sharks plans may have changed as they didn't end up getting the funding they were expecting. It was going to be at Shark Park, have seen comments that they are looking at other locations nearby now.