What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

MugaB

Coach
Penrith Panthers are built on the back of exploiting those who have a gambling addiction. There are gamblers who wear nappies to the pokies so they can take a piss and shit without leaving their poker machine. It's a truly disgusting industry.
Hey penrith will support everyone, even those with a gambling addiction that will just head down the road regardless if its at penrith or parramatta... sounds like Logan has no such peopleKLINK LOGAN.png

Canard

Immortal
The Cowboys generate revenue at the gate, and draw eyeballs on TV, by playing in a competition that has long been followed and supported by North Queenslanders.

Take out Manly, Dragons or the Bulldogs and that revenue stream is affected.

Despite the Cowboys being the No1 club north of Rocky, there is still huge generational support and/or hatred for Sydney clubs.

The competition as a whole is what holds value, not one individual club.

Iamback

Coach
The Cowboys generate revenue at the gate, and draw eyeballs on TV, by playing in a competition that has long been followed and supported by North Queenslanders.

Despite the Cowboys being the No1 club north of Rocky, there is still huge generational support and/or hatred for Sydney clubs.

Hate is as much of a reason to watch as loving a club is.

Nothing better than when Storm, Roosters and Parra lose in the same round. They are the perfect weekends

Wb1234

Immortal

The strength of that competition comes from the clubs that built that history up over 115 years together with some of the newer clubs like parra, dogs and the dragons

it’s why a competition like super league was plastic

Penrith Panthers are built on the back of exploiting those who have a gambling addiction. There are gamblers who wear nappies to the pokies so they can take a piss and shit without leaving their poker machine. It's a truly disgusting industry.
Someone contact the Penrith merchandising department and let them know they could sell a range of gamblers nappies with the Panthers logo. Just another revenue stream providing $$$

Bullshit.

Attendances in Townsville for games between North Queensland and Sea Eagles, Dragons and Bulldogs are not very strong. Last year's games against Dragons and Bulldogs drew 14,683 and 12,640.

Games against the Broncos (23,531) and Storm (22,728) drew the biggest attendances in Townsville.

The game against the Warriors drew 17,404.

The only Sydney team who drew more than 20k in Townsville last year was the Panthers in the last round. That crowd was there because it was the last round, Cowboys finished in the top four and were playing against the minor premiers. The only other Sydney team who drew a stronger than average crowd was Roosters.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Bullshit.

Attendances in Townsville for games between North Queensland and Sea Eagles, Dragons and Bulldogs are not very strong. Last year's games against Dragons and Bulldogs drew 14,683 and 12,640.

Games against the Broncos (23,531) and Storm (22,728) drew the biggest attendances in Townsville.

The only Sydney team who drew more than 20k in Townsville last year was the Panthers in the last round. That crowd was there because it was the last round, Cowboys finished in the top four and were playing against the minor premiers. The only other Sydney team who drew a stronger than average crowd was Roosters.

And.... point is....
None.. fmd.. go back to talking about logan

Canard

Immortal
Bullshit.

Using such a small sample size is flawed.

At what timeslot where the games held? How were those Sydney clubs performing in that season? Were they Origin affected?

The Cowboys are one of the poorest drawing teams away from home, particularly in Sydney, so you can see why I'm against your agenda. As it will quickly backfire.

siv

First Grade

At what timeslot where the games held? How were those Sydney clubs performing in that season? Were they Origin affected?

The Cowboys are one of the poorest drawing teams away from home, particularly in Sydney, so you can see why I'm against your agenda. As it will quickly backfire.
Then he will quote Cronulla home crowds in 2022 even though their home venue was regularly sold out

But guess we can do the same

Parra & Tigers 50k crowds
Souths & Dogs 50k crowds
Easts & Dragons 40k crowds
Souths & Easts 40-50k crowds

Even Cronulla got 38k in their last game

Mr Ribot needs to to redefine his criteria and remove the regional exemption *

Iamback

Coach

I presume Sat night is still the Cows preference for fans to travel?

Dragons and Sharks games were on Friday night

Dogs was Sunday night in the horrible rain in round 1

You're shifting the goalposts because your arguments were invalidated.

First you said the Sea Eagles, Bulldogs and Dragons help the Cowboys generate game day revenue due to North Queenslanders following the NSWRL for decades.

I cited the attendances at North Queensland Stadium for games against Bulldogs and Dragons in 2022. If what you're saying is true then these teams would generate massive crowds. The attendances for both games in 2022 were below the Cowboys' season average.

You failed to prove the three Sydney clubs in question generate revenue for the Cowboys, so you're now bringing up attendances in Sydney when the Cowboys play away.

Why?

The reason attendances are low in Sydney for games against interstate clubs like the Cowboys is because its nine clubs have small supporter bases. If a club needs fans from their interstate opponents to prop up their attendances then its fanbase isn't big enough to support them.

Cowboys don't have any trouble drawing fans to Lang Park to play the Broncos. There's plenty of support for the Cowboys at Robina Stadium when they play the Titans.

I guess Cowboys fans just aren't interested in travelling to Sydney to play against tiny irrelevant clubs. They do travel to Brisbane and Gold Coast. I know as I've spoken to them at games against the Broncos and Titans.

MugaB

Coach

First you said the Sea Eagles, Bulldogs and Dragons help the Cowboys generate game day revenue due to North Queenslanders following the NSWRL for decades.

I cited the attendances at North Queensland Stadium for games against Bulldogs and Dragons in 2022. If what you're saying is true then these teams would generate massive crowds. The attendances for both games in 2022 were below the Cowboys' season average.

You failed to prove the three Sydney clubs in question generate revenue for the Cowboys, so you're now bringing up attendances in Sydney when the Cowboys play away.

Why?

The reason attendances are low in Sydney for games against interstate clubs like the Cowboys is because its nine clubs have small supporter bases. If a club needs fans from their interstate opponents to prop up their attendances then its fanbase isn't big enough to support them.

Cowboys don't have any trouble drawing fans to Lang Park to play the Broncos. There's plenty of support for the Cowboys at Robina Stadium when they play the Titans.

I guess Cowboys fans just aren't interested in travelling to Sydney to play against tiny irrelevant clubs. They do travel to Brisbane and Gold Coast. I know as I've spoken to them at games against the Broncos and Titans.
Gotta take your word for it, hey?
I gotta uncle who lives nearby and said his cousins got a story just like that about a similar thing that happen to his neighbours maid....

This Year?

Immortal
I seen many Cowboys fans at the 2005 and 2015 Grand Finals, so that disproves the theory that they don't travel to Sydney for games against tiny irrelevant clubs.

Then he will quote Cronulla home crowds in 2022 even though their home venue was regularly sold out

But guess we can do the same

Parra & Tigers 50k crowds
Souths & Dogs 50k crowds
Easts & Dragons 40k crowds
Souths & Easts 40-50k crowds

Even Cronulla got 38k in their last game

Mr Ribot needs to to redefine his criteria and remove the regional exemption *
Dumb post full of lies.

The Cronulla game was a final against a much stronger Sydney team at a ground closer to their opponent's fanbase!

Most of the fans were cheering for South Sydney!

😂

There's no way Cronulla would generate that attendance at their shit ground.

South Sydney versus Sydney drew 41,906 to the first game at the redeveloped SFS. The same game was played a week later in the final series and drew 39,498. Let's see how much that number falls over the upcoming years. The round 3 game between these teams at Stadium Australia drew just 18,245!

😂

Last year the round 3 Cowboys vs Broncos game at Lang Park drew 37,671, despite both clubs being awful on the field for years. It didn't need to be played on a public holiday to draw this crowd. Brisbane is further away from Townsville than it is from Sydney.

The Easter Sunday South Sydney vs Canterbury game in round 6 drew 30,194 at Stadium Australia. Not 50k!

The ANZAC DAY Dragons vs Roosters game at the Sydney Cricket Ground drew 35,273. Not 40k!

The Easter Monday game between Parramatta and Tigers drew 28,336. Not 50k! Their other game in round 17 drew 13,214.

I seen many Cowboys fans at the 2005 and 2015 Grand Finals, so that disproves the theory that they don't travel to Sydney for games against tiny irrelevant clubs.
Those were grand finals. I'm comparing regular season games. The fact you have to cite a couple of grand finals to find a significant number proves my point.

Do the Gold Coast actually outnumber the away fans at their home ground yet? My one trip up there to watch a game in 2015 was like a home game for us.

Canard

Immortal

Why?

I didn't say anything about "massive crowds".

There is clear value in the history and heritage of the Sydney clubs to Rugby League fans.

People don't care about Leagues Clubs, TV rights and "revenue' when it comes to sports when their loyalties or rivarlies are created.

Every game that doesn't sell out, isn't somehow a failure.

This Year?

Immortal
Those were grand finals. I'm comparing regular season games. The fact you have to cite a couple of grand finals to find a significant number proves my point.
I picked those two games to show that poor drawing away fans will travel in numbers given the right motivation.
The game will never be perfect with scheduling and clubs will never get an even share of their preferred timeslot and/ot draw preference.
Back to the article by Mascord, I think Rupert has won the war. Most league fans have fox/kayo as there is no alternative to see a game live unless you are at the ground or ch9 is showing it.

siv

First Grade
Dumb post full of lies.

The Cronulla game was a final against a much stronger Sydney team at a ground closer to their opponent's fanbase!

Most of the fans were cheering for South Sydney!

😂

There's no way Cronulla would generate that attendance at their shit ground.

South Sydney versus Sydney drew 41,906 to the first game at the redeveloped SFS. The same game was played a week later in the final series and drew 39,498. Let's see how much that number falls over the upcoming years. The round 3 game between these teams at Stadium Australia drew just 18,245!

😂

Last year the round 3 Cowboys vs Broncos game at Lang Park drew 37,671, despite both clubs being awful on the field for years. It didn't need to be played on a public holiday to draw this crowd. Brisbane is further away from Townsville than it is from Sydney.

The Easter Sunday South Sydney vs Canterbury game in round 6 drew 30,194 at Stadium Australia. Not 50k!

The ANZAC DAY Dragons vs Roosters game at the Sydney Cricket Ground drew 35,273. Not 40k!

The Easter Monday game between Parramatta and Tigers drew 28,336. Not 50k! Their other game in round 17 drew 13,214.

You shouldn't limit yourself to a post covid recovery year