What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

I didn't say anything about "massive crowds".

You said small Sydney clubs generate revenue for the Cowboys. For that to be true then they would need to generate massive crowds at North Queensland Stadium.

There is clear value in the history and heritage of the Sydney clubs to Rugby League fans.

Why should "rugby league fans" from Queensland care about the history and heritage of Sydney clubs?

You don't give a f**k about the history and heritage of Brisbane rugby league clubs. You've made that quite clear with the dismissive remarks you've made about the BRL. Now you're telling me that I'm not a rugby league fan unless I value Sydney RL clubs.

🙄

I think you just have a hatred of Brisbane. I've seen you say Brisbane should only have two teams. Only a complete moron with an anti-Brisbane agenda would defend Sydney having nine teams while arguing Brisbane should only have two.

On what basis do you think Sydney needs nine teams but Brisbane should have only two?

Sydney is twice the size of Brisbane in terms of population, yet rugby league is more popular and profitable in Brisbane. If you believe Sydney should have nine teams then you would be arguing for Brisbane to have four based on population alone.

It's been shown that people In Queensland don't care to watch Sydney teams. The ratings prove it. Roy Masters and Colin Smith have written about it in the media.

This might come as a surprise to you, but I value the traditional BRL clubs over the nine failed clubs from Sydney that rely on gaming revenue and an annual handout from the ARLC to survive. I am a rugby league fan.

People don't care about Leagues Clubs, TV rights and "revenue' when it comes to sports when their loyalties or rivarlies are created.

Most people outside of Sydney don't give a f**k about Sydney RL clubs. Most people in Sydney don't give a f**k about Sydney RL clubs. If they did then their attendances and revenue from football operations wouldn't be so f**king small. Yet here you are arguing that Sydney needs nine clubs, despite the fact every metric used to gauge value and sustainability proves it cannot.

🙄

Every game that doesn't sell out, isn't somehow a failure.

A club that generates f**k all money from football operations is a failure. Sydney clubs generate little revenue from football operations. That's despite all the advantages the ARLC provides them. They get to play more derbies, travel the least and get more coverage on Ch9 than the interstate clubs, yet they're still financially weak and rely on the annual grant to survive.

Last edited:
I picked those two games to show that poor drawing away fans will travel in numbers given the right motivation.
The game will never be perfect with scheduling and clubs will never get an even share of their preferred timeslot and/ot draw preference.
Back to the article by Mascord, I think Rupert has won the war. Most league fans have fox/kayo as there is no alternative to see a game live unless you are at the ground or ch9 is showing it.
Murdoch doesn't give a f**k about rugby league. He is an AwFuL fanboy. He admitted fumbleball is News Ltd's preferred code and said they'll use their publications to grow the game in Brisbane and Sydney.

Canard

Immortal
You said small Sydney clubs generate revenue for the Cowboys. For that to be true then they would need to generate massive crowds at North Queensland Stadium.

Why should "rugby league fans" from Queensland care about the history and heritage of Sydney clubs?

You don't give a f**k about the history and heritage of Brisbane rugby league clubs. You've made that quite clear with the dismissive remarks you've made about the BRL. Now you're telling me that I'm not a rugby league fan unless I value Sydney RL clubs.

🙄

I think you just have a hatred of Brisbane. I've seen you say Brisbane should only have two teams. Only a complete moron with an anti-Brisbane agenda would defend Sydney having nine teams while arguing Brisbane should only have two.

On what basis do you think Sydney needs nine teams but Brisbane should have only two?

Sydney is twice the size of Brisbane in terms of population, yet rugby league is more popular and profitable in Brisbane. If you believe Sydney should have nine teams then you would be arguing for Brisbane to have four based on population alone.

It's been shown that people In Queensland don't care to watch Sydney teams. The ratings prove it. Roy Masters and Colin Smith have written about it in the media.

This might come as a surprise to you, but I value the traditional BRL clubs over the nine failed clubs from Sydney that rely on gaming revenue and an annual handout from the ARLC to survive. I am a rugby league fan.

Most people outside of Sydney don't give a f**k about Sydney RL clubs. Most people in Sydney don't give a f**k about Sydney RL clubs. If they did then their attendances and revenue from football operations wouldn't be so f**king small. Yet here you are arguing that Sydney needs nine clubs, despite the fact every metric used to gauge value and sustainability proves it cannot.

🙄

A club that generates f**k all money from football operations is a failure. Sydney clubs generate little revenue from football operations. That's despite all the advantages the ARLC provides them. They get to play more derbies, travel the least and get more coverage on Ch9 than the interstate clubs, yet they're still financially weak and rely on the annual grant to survive.

Your strawman and ad hominen attacks aside, it's clear that the Sydney clubs are supported in QLD, and the ratings are still comparatively good compared to all other sports.

I'm old enough to have attended BRL games and watched them on TV prior to 1988, not just read about them in the local library 40 years later. I'm a fan of a real BRL club, not some plastic contrived Scorpions.

Your strawman and ad hominen attacks aside, it's clear that the Sydney clubs are supported in QLD, and the ratings are still comparatively good compared to all other sports.

I'm old enough to have attended BRL games and watched them on TV prior to 1988, not just read about them in the local library 40 years later. I'm a fan of a real BRL club, not some plastic contrived Scorpions.
Sigh...

I didn't use a single strawman argument. I just responded to what you wrote.

You're delusional to think Sydney clubs are "supported" in Queensland. Most of the "support" they have is from cockroaches who've immigrated to Queensland because it's more liveable than Sydney. Most Queenslanders are indifferent to the Sydney clubs because all nine of them are irrelevant.

Now you hate the Logan City Scorpions?

🙄

I very much doubt you ever supported a BRL club. You've never said anything positive about the competition.

Dumb post full of lies.

The Cronulla game was a final against a much stronger Sydney team at a ground closer to their opponent's fanbase!

Most of the fans were cheering for South Sydney!

😂

There's no way Cronulla would generate that attendance at their shit ground.

South Sydney versus Sydney drew 41,906 to the first game at the redeveloped SFS. The same game was played a week later in the final series and drew 39,498. Let's see how much that number falls over the upcoming years. The round 3 game between these teams at Stadium Australia drew just 18,245!

😂

Last year the round 3 Cowboys vs Broncos game at Lang Park drew 37,671, despite both clubs being awful on the field for years. It didn't need to be played on a public holiday to draw this crowd. Brisbane is further away from Townsville than it is from Sydney.

The Easter Sunday South Sydney vs Canterbury game in round 6 drew 30,194 at Stadium Australia. Not 50k!

The ANZAC DAY Dragons vs Roosters game at the Sydney Cricket Ground drew 35,273. Not 40k!

The Easter Monday game between Parramatta and Tigers drew 28,336. Not 50k! Their other game in round 17 drew 13,214.

The Cows would never be able to get this many supporters to go to a GF.

"Luckily for them, the atmosphere on Sunday probably felt a little more like Shark Park — where they’d won 11 of 12 this season — given the sky blue on show accounted for a good 80,000 of the 83K-strong crowd."

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Sigh...

I didn't use a single strawman argument. I just responded to what you wrote.

You're delusional to think Sydney clubs are "supported" in Queensland. Most of the "support" they have is from cockroaches who've immigrated to Queensland because it's more liveable than Sydney. Most Queenslanders are indifferent to the Sydney clubs because all nine of them are irrelevant.

Now you hate the Logan City Scorpions?

🙄

I very much doubt you ever supported a BRL club. You've never said anything positive about the competition.

Saying "you don't give a f**k about the history of ....." and "I think you have a hatred..' are both strawman statements.

Saying "you don't give a f**k about the history of ....." and "I think you have a hatred..' are both strawman statements.
You've made it abundantly clear you don't give a f**k about the death of the BRL and Brisbane's under-representation at the highest level since 1987.

You're also on record saying Brisbane should only have two teams but believe Sydney should have nine. Your stance on this subject is hypocritical and the only way a person could espouse such obvious cognitive dissonance is if they hate Brisbane. You also admitted that Brisbane is the main rival for North Queenslanders. Your hatred extends beyond the Broncos and includes the Greater Brisbane area.

kit66

Bench

I don't really want to get into this argument but feel the need to point out what a load of crap your statement above is. I'm ex- Sydney but have lived in the Gold Coast and Brisbane since 2002 and can confirm there is huge support for Sydney teams up here, walk down any street or go to any building site and ask around who supports who and you'll find more Sydney team supporters than Broncos and Cowboy fans. So many footy fans up here hate the Broncos, it's quite amazing. Go to a Titans vs Dragons game at Carrara Stadium and the Dragons fans easily outnumber the insipid Tits crowd.
Sydney clubs irrlelvant ? Imagine a comp without them and what have you got - the Qld teams plus Newi, Canberra and Melbourne - how exciting that would be, how short lived, Fox would go broke in a season.
How did this all start ? With the Qldrs begging to join the NSW comp and play against the big boys down south and even with a virtual state side in the Broncos and coached by arguably the best coach in the world at the time you still had limited success. Then you gave us the Titans (you want to talk "irrelevant", Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Gold Coast Titans) and the Cowboys, (who I quite like, personally) who haven't set the world on fire but at least represent a much greater portion of Qld than the Brisbane city-centric Broncs. One more thing, the Broncos are one of the most hated teams in the comp, even in Brissie but more so on the Gold Coast and regions and I reckon the whole of Toowoomba, to a man would be happy if they never existed.
I follow the local teams up here, just so I can go to games (I rarely go to Broncos games) and it's a great comp up here and everyone loves their footy but I also know the same supporters are happy to sit down and watch Parra vs Penrith and Manly vs Dragons, I've sat right next to them, in pubs and peoples homes and rarely if ever heard the kind of crap you're spouting. Some good natured state rivalry but no-one wanting to see any Sydney clubs disappear.
For myself I'm happy with the NRL expansion plan so far and welcome with open arms the Dolphins and wish them all the best. I can see them becoming the most popular club in South East Qld in no time, like, by about round 4 I reckon.

siv

First Grade

🙄

🙄

Time for the banana republic to be declared as a independent nation

We need a Banana-NRL