What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divided rugby league fell 25 years ago – but united has it conquered? by Steve Mascord.

Wb1234

Immortal
That may not be the most ill-informed thing written on the internet in 2022, but it's in the top 5.
Yeh true super rugby is booming now

next league cup will be held in nz and Tonga and samoa

and they will be playing tests in tonga and samoa

but yeh other than that union is going well

MugaB

Coach
It’s funny how NSWRL fans laugh at my suggestion that we should expand into Singapore within the next 20 to 30 years, yet they reckon Sydney should have 10 teams because a lot of East Asians and South Asians have emigrated there over the last 40 years. All of this despite Singapore having a larger population than Sydney. 🙄

Ideally, a team like the Dragons, Sharks or Tigers would start taking a game to Singapore each year to test the waters, similar to what the NFL does with their NFL LONDON series. I'd go with St George Dragons as there's a large British and Australian expatriate community in Singapore and it's part of the Commonwealth of Nations. It makes far more sense to start the season in Singapore than the USA. Australia and Singapore share the same time zone. America is on the other side of the world. There's a large gambling market in Singapore.
Should start the season in downtown Logan
Hey!!!

videotogif_2022.12.24_00.50.09.gif

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
because he's seen it fall back into the conservative muck every damn time...
That's just representative of Australia. It's a conservative country and all sports suffer from it. Cricket seems to be growing with BBL and AFL is eating into Rugby Union's heartland. I don't know what else has changed in Australian Sport in 30 years. Even Football(Soccer) is back to flares and violence a week after their success in the World Cup.

Edit - Actually, I don't know even know if Cricket is growing with BBL or just bringing back the usual fans. Cricket also has the advantage of people from the Subcontinent being the largest immigrant group in Australia now.

Wb1234

Immortal
That's just representative of Australia. It's a conservative country and all sports suffer from it. Cricket seems to be growing with BBL and AFL is eating into Rugby Union's heartland. I don't know what else has changed in Australian Sport in 30 years. Even Football(Soccer) is back to flares and violence a week after their success in the World Cup.
Nrl has recovered most of the ground lost due to super league

going forward it’s going to be interesting how ambitious they are and how much growth there is left in the sport

Saxon

Bench
Yeh true super rugby is booming now

next league cup will be held in nz and Tonga and samoa

and they will be playing tests in tonga and samoa

but yeh other than that union is going well
Rugby League was never going to take over the pacific on the shoestring budget provided by Packer pre SuperLeague.
Apparently Union's self detonation has NOTHING to do with it???

flippikat

Bench
Nrl has recovered most of the ground lost due to super league

going forward it’s going to be interesting how ambitious they are and how much growth there is left in the sport
Adding Perth as team 18 would bring the NRL just about where it was in 1995-6, footprint-wise - and funnily enough, in that scenario the 2 most recent expansion teams would have been "catching up" for the loss of the Crushers and Reds respectively.

Wb1234

Immortal
Rugby League was never going to take over the pacific on the shoestring budget provided by Packer pre SuperLeague.
Apparently Union's self detonation has NOTHING to do with it???
Yeh it’s true unions demise was self inflicted

but they are now vulnerable to the nrl being more pro active in the pacific and esp nz

Wb1234

Immortal
Adding Perth as team 18 would bring the NRL just about where it was in 1995-6, footprint-wise - and funnily enough, in that scenario the 2 most recent expansion teams would have been "catching up" for the loss of the Crushers and Reds respectively.
And the bears too.

storm over the loss of some Sydney clubs

it’s lucky they never culled the warriors back then they easily could’ve been sacrificed

The Great Dane

First Grade
I didn't get into it before, but the attempts to map factions within the sport onto political ideologies and the left/right dichotomy is stupid as well. Though it's undeniably true that political attitudes inform people's thinking in all areas of life at least to some degree, the analogy is simply to simplistic to fit well in this case.

Trying to map the aggressively laissez-faire, corporatist, Super League/expansionist types within the sport onto "left wing" or "progressive" political ideologies simply doesn't work. Neither does trying to map the almost unionist, pseudo grassroots, stand up for the (supposedly) marginalised, attitudes onto the supposedly "ring wing" or "conservative" factions of the sport.

siv

First Grade
And the bears too.

it’s lucky they never culled the warriors back then they easily could’ve been sacrificed
SL second major tactic after trying to buy all of the players was that it needed to isolate the ARL in the international game

Thus the buyout of the NZRL, ERL and Pacific nations

Canard

Immortal
I didn't get into it before, but the attempts to map factions within the sport onto political ideologies and the left/right dichotomy is stupid as well. Though it's undeniably true that political attitudes inform people's thinking in all areas of life at least to some degree, the analogy is simply to simplistic to fit well in this case.

Trying to map the aggressively laissez-faire, corporatist, Super League/expansionist types within the sport onto "left wing" or "progressive" political ideologies simply doesn't work. Neither does trying to map the almost unionist, pseudo grassroots, stand up for the (supposedly) marginalised, attitudes onto the supposedly "ring wing" or "conservative" factions of the sport.

Any vestige of "working class fans" stereotypes in a modern professional rugby league setting is largely a leftover from an older generation.

However, just like the Welsh had to fight for their language to survive, I do get annoyed at people saying "flag" and 'list' when discussing RL.

Even 'shot clock' riles me slightly, but maybe I'm fighting a losing battle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any vestige of "working class fans" stereotypes in a modern professional rugby league setting is largely a leftover from an older generation.

However, just like the Welsh had to fight for their language to survive, I do get annoyed at people saying "flag" and 'list' when discussing RL.
Problem is it’s a perception based on historic reality that both the game and media seem happy to perpetiate. That perception may well be putting off people from becoming a follower of the game. Perception creates behaviour after all.

A couple of hours after a clandestine meeting of the Australian Rugby League Commission directors on Monday morning to officially anoint Peter V’landys as its incoming chairman, the man himself strides into the Racing NSW boardroom. His shirt is a little frayed, untucked slightly at the back, the working class man for a working class game.

Problem is it’s a perception based on historic reality that both the game and media seem happy to perpetiate. That perception may well be putting off people from becoming a follower of the game. Perception creates behaviour after all.

A couple of hours after a clandestine meeting of the Australian Rugby League Commission directors on Monday morning to officially anoint Peter V’landys as its incoming chairman, the man himself strides into the Racing NSW boardroom. His shirt is a little frayed, untucked slightly at the back, the working class man for a working class game.

The fact that elite, private schools won’t touch rugby league doesn’t help either.

Wb1234

Immortal
And the bears too.

it’s lucky they never culled the warriors back then they easily
The fact that elite, private schools won’t touch rugby league doesn’t help either.
we are raiding those schools now pretty much

illas came from my old school trinity grammar

chrichton murray Cronk etc never made it to the wallabies

And the bears too.

it’s lucky they never culled the warriors back then they easily

we are raiding those schools now pretty much

illas came from my old school trinity grammar

chrichton murray Cronk etc never made it to the wallabies
I appreciate that mate but private schools refusing to run rugby league teams doesn’t help alleviate the working class image RL has was more my point