What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Gus and Burgess need to get a room?

God-King Dean

Immortal
http://www.nospam09.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/phil-gould-david-gallop-radio-debate-over-sonny-bill-williams.jpg

" IT'S A TRAP! "

beads6

First Grade
He looks the goods so far....Lets see how he is traveling with a full NRL season under his belt.

Exactly, he looks a bit hit and miss and I can see him giving away plenty of penalties plus alot of dropped ball so we will wait and see how he goes after a season of week in and week out top notch NRL footy.

westie

Bench
The dropped ball will come if the small blokes aren't good enough to get on the end of his offloads, which we saw a bit of last night. Honestly, how many balls did Hayne and Jennings throw away.

The Tank

Bench
Was anyone else playing last night? I mean for someone who says he doesnt like to talk a player up he was doing a bloody good job of it.

Is Burgess really that good?

Yes. But I think Gus does go over the top with some players.

Burgess went alright considering how little football he has played recently. I reckon he will get better as the year goes on and the rust clears out. A few dropped balls and errors in his game but who doesn't do that sort of thing in the first hit out of the season? Looks the goods IMO and will only get better over the next 4 years in the nrl.

Danish

Referee
No one can be as good as Gus was making him out to be, but by the end if the year he'll be one if the best forwards in the nrl.

Still, if you think gus's one man circle jerk was bad last night, wait until he starts up his "let burgess play origin" campaign

nrlnrl

First Grade
He seems to have the goods in attack & defence, the raw power of Gorden Tallis mixed with the athleticism of Sonny Bill Williams. As many have said, let's judge him over a full season in the NRL. That should be entertaining though, as he will be both the hunter & the hunted.

MTK

Juniors
...wait until he starts up his "let burgess play origin" campaign

This is probably the most accurate prediction in the entirity of these forums.

On a related topic, did anybody else feel that the Ch9 commentary of this game was soft? Last year many of us were bemoaning how whingeful, negative and counterproductive the Ch9 commentary was about the game (its rules, its referees etc). But I felt that everyone was on a bit of a happy trip during the All-Stars Game.
There weren't a zillion replays of the tries, trying to prove that the ref got it wrong. It was all approached in good spirit. If only it stays like that all season.

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If only it stays like that all season.

doubt it... I did appreciate the positive approach the commentators took though but i cnat see gus keeping his lid on afetr we start seeing some weird ref decisions

on Burgess, i've only seen him in the 4 nations and all stars game but he's far betetr than i expected. so far he's more than held his own against the best and has the complete mix of skills.

whether he can keep it up over a whole year is another thing but so far he's passed every test put to him. i'm glad john lang will be coaching him and not taylor....

Gaba

First Grade
I wouldnt be suprized is Burgess surpasses SBW. He has everything he needs to do it.

SBW was predictable in many ways , but his strength and size what made him look better then he was

he couldnt tackle , his defense was shoulder charge.

He always held the ball with one hand and was always looking to offload , hence alot of drop ball from sbw

gronkathon

First Grade
Burgess has all of the potential in the world.

For his sake I hope Sandow improves as a half because if not his impact will be limited

MattJ

Juniors
I thought Burgess was very strong, and that a lot of the hype about him is looking to be warrented. I did also think that Gus was over the top in his praise and it got a bit cringeworthy, even for an excited souths supporter to hear it.
Consistancy will be the key to how he is judged as a player throughout his first full NRL season.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
SBW was predictable in many ways , but his strength and size what made him look better then he was

he couldnt tackle , his defense was shoulder charge.

He always held the ball with one hand and was always looking to offload , hence alot of drop ball from sbw

*sigh* Whats it like knowing absolutly nothing?

Red Dwarf 1

Juniors
Gus and Burgess do not need a room. Leave the kid alone, he can't help that he's a great all-round player.

Gus just needs a room without a view to jerk off as he usually does by himself. He has his favourite boys every year, i.e. SBW, Hayne etc. This time it's Burgess next year it'll be someone else.

Someone needs to shove an electric prod up his arse and zap him everytime he goes overboard. Then again he might actually enjoy it!