What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Penrith need Jarome?

Should Penrith re-sign Luai

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Chins get the wins

First Grade
He will be experiencing a lot of failure at the Tigers. But thats about the limit of failure you can expect.

Because even if they lose every game. He’s bringing home $23k a week and gets a month longer holidays now.

He is a winner no matter what.
Also better than any 6 in Knights history

Munky

Coach
When it ends he’ll be younger than DCE, Shaun Johnson, Adam Reynolds, Ben Hunt and Cody Walker are now. He also already has more Premierships then them all combined.

Literally has the best club resume of any active half who doesn't have 'Eary in their name.

In the four GFs outside of garbage time against the Eels nothing went down his side when defending.

Tigpies just need a good long kicker and they'll have a pretty solid team.

The Realist

Juniors
I find the view of 'taking the $$$ was the right decision for him and his family' to not be as big a 'no brainer' as many presume.

Reason being - when this contract is up he will still have 3-5 good years in him. If this Tigers stint is considered a failure or even mediocre his value will plummet.

Had he stayed at the Panthers and jagged another Premiership or 2 whilst developing his skill set - he could have got his big ass contract as well as being considered a True NRL Legend that would have more value post career.

The Counter point to what I said above would be injury. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Should he have a serious injury that would diminish him significantly then he'd never get his big payday.

I find the view of 'taking the $$$ was the right decision for him and his family' to not be as big a 'no brainer' as many presume.

Reason being - when this contract is up he will still have 3-5 good years in him. If this Tigers stint is considered a failure or even mediocre his value will plummet.

Had he stayed at the Panthers and jagged another Premiership or 2 whilst developing his skill set - he could have got his big ass contract as well as being considered a True NRL Legend that would have more value post career.

The Counter point to what I said above would be injury. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Should he have a serious injury that would diminish him significantly then he'd never get his big payday.
I’m not sure his value is going to improve much at Penrith. His role is his role there, and it isn’t changing; staying more years is just going to further entrench he is a ‘second fiddle’ (while obviously he has convinced his suitors at this junction that he can be the main man). Also, winning more premierships isn’t going to improve his value; he has already won 3.

But if he takes the Tigers even towards mid-table that is going to be considered a win. Realistically they are bottom 4 this year, and that make it 4 years in a row. If he can take them to mid table, even help them jag a top 8 spot, that will be great for his value.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

I highly doubt Luai will ever evolve enough to be a game managing 7 type, his boot is just too weak. Not being one of those "he was never that good types" but with the way he runs and skips across the park he's probably at his peak right now

soc123_au

Staff member
I highly doubt Luai will ever evolve enough to be a game managing 7 type, his boot is just too weak. Not being one of those "he was never that good types" but with the way he runs and skips across the park he's probably at his peak right now
I back him to evolve, he has been alongside the best in the comp too long not to know whats required. His short kicking is good (when he pulls it out) not sure if a bit of coaching/conditioning can fix up his long kicking, but it will be interesting to watch.

Also a lot depends on how long Api has left in him. Api is smart as f**k and him and Luai sharing some of the normal 7 stuff could work.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I back him to evolve, he has been alongside the best in the comp too long not to know whats required. His short kicking is good (when he pulls it out) not sure if a bit of coaching/conditioning can fix up his long kicking, but it will be interesting to watch.

Also a lot depends on how long Api has left in him. Api is smart as f**k and him and Luai sharing some of the normal 7 stuff could work.
Api is still the best 9 in the game. Fools will say Harry Grant but they are wrong

Iamback

Coach

It isn't being he was never good enough. I wouldn't swap him for any other 6 in our system and would of loved to of kept him for the amount we offered.

To run the show as the highest paid player in the comp... It is way overs and way beyond him.

That said. He has ambition and nothing wrong with that

I could be wrong but I think Jarome will be good for the Tigers. I think he will bring about an attitude shift at the Tigers as he comes across as a born winner who likes to prove people wrong. That will rub off on his team mates. I think the Tigers recruitment team were on the mark in going after him.
During the first 3 months of the season (before Api got his injury) we were crying out for a player who could create in the opposition ref zone. Luai could be just what we need.

I also get the sense he’s not the kind of guy who will gladly collect his monster salary whilst hoovering up wooden spoons and watching the finals on telly. He could be get a few noses out of joint but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Literally has the best club resume of any active half who doesn't have 'Eary in their name.

In the four GFs outside of garbage time against the Eels nothing went down his side when defending.

Tigpies just need a good long kicker and they'll have a pretty solid team.

Will depend on how Fainu from Manly goes. If he’s the goods we will have a very good spine (Bula/Luai/Fainu/Api). I’d rather pay 10% of our cap for Luai than Brooks.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
During the first 3 months of the season (before Api got his injury) we were crying out for a player who could create in the opposition ref zone. Luai could be just what we need.

I also get the sense he’s not the kind of guy who will gladly collect his monster salary whilst hoovering up wooden spoons and watching the finals on telly. He could be get a few noses out of joint but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Nope he has an ego and that's a great thing. He also has a very good short kicking game that we seemed to put away last year. At a side like yours where you aren't trying to strangle everyone with insane pressure he will get to bring it back out.

The Realist

Juniors
Nope he has an ego and that's a great thing. He also has a very good short kicking game that we seemed to put away last year. At a side like yours where you aren't trying to strangle everyone with insane pressure he will get to bring it back out.
The Panthers put the short kicking game away for 2 main reasons.

1. I know the 7 tackle set has been going for a while now, but the trend is clear with most teams using the short kick off less year on year since the rule change.

2. Teams becoming better at contesting short kick offs/drop outs and also being far more willing to is what really changed in 2023. Panthers are quite poor at contesting short kick offs/drop outs. They are about to get even worse with Critta gone.

Munky

Coach
The Panthers put the short kicking game away for 2 main reasons.

1. I know the 7 tackle set has been going for a while now, but the trend is clear with most teams using the short kick off less year on year since the rule change.

2. Teams becoming better at contesting short kick offs/drop outs and also being far more willing to is what really changed in 2023. Panthers are quite poor at contesting short kick offs/drop outs. They are about to get even worse with Critta gone.

The short drop out/kick off defence frustrates me.

It has been a clear problem for years and nearly lost the 2020 final against the Roosters because of it.