What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we keep Sandow?

Swiftstylez

Bench
According to the tele sandow was offered 325k per year for 2 years. I think that was about right so if we dont keep him for that money fair enough.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
So apparently Sandclown has been put back to Wenty to work on his game for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone think that he will actually be able to achieve anything at Wenty in a team that is clearly going poorly with a poor forward pack in front of him? It won't help their cause that they have one less forward with Seph Paulo in the team either.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...by-league-career/story-fnp0lyn3-1227355578446

We are renowned for not keeping private dealings behind closed doors, but the managers talk to the media and other people in the know as well. Maybe Sandow told someone at the pub or Brad Arthur told his Mrs who is secretly friends with James Hooper. Who knows?

I forgot to add he rejected it by the way.

maybe he told the bloke at the pub 325, when it was really 225k

who knows?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I would say yes - sometimes you need to take risks. We need a fullback and he is a potentially good option there. But we wouldn't want to be giving him a huge contract.

Plenty of other clubs have taken risks on "bad apples" which have paid off, roosters / sharks - carney (played good footy for a year or two), Titans - Roberts / bird, Knights - gagai / leilua etc

And lot of those above mentioned players we would have been happy to take now.

Incorrect

Coach
When he comes crawling back asking if the offer is still on the table, reduce it to 280-300K and tell him his role is next year is in the #14 coming off the bench. Would run a lot more than DeGois does when he is supposed to come on and add some spark, with the bonus of being able to kick in general play. Not to mention he's probably 6 seconds quicker than DeGois over 40 metres... We can cut DeGois and Kelly loose, that's probably 400K or so in salary right there...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sandow can't play as 14, it's a waste of $300k. You don't change halves during a game and he can't play hooker as he can't tackle. Would prefer Docker as our 14 over Sandow for 1/3 the price if not more - and that's if we even carry a hooker in 16.

Also Kelly is on a second tier contract and off - contract, so no saving money there.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...by-league-career/story-fnp0lyn3-1227355578446

We are renowned for not keeping private dealings behind closed doors,

who is We ?

but the managers talk to the media and other people in the know as well.

which would be a breach of the confidentiality terms of the contract, why would an agent want to breach his own contract ?

Maybe Sandow told someone at the pub or Brad Arthur told his Mrs who is secretly friends with James Hooper.

more speculation

Who knows?

About the only thing you got right

Chipmunk

Coach
I would say yes - sometimes you need to take risks. We need a fullback and he is a potentially good option there. But we wouldn't want to be giving him a huge contract.

Plenty of other clubs have taken risks on "bad apples" which have paid off, roosters / sharks - carney (played good footy for a year or two), Titans - Roberts / bird, Knights - gagai / leilua etc

And lot of those above mentioned players we would have been happy to take now.

Since when has Albert Kelly played fullback?

Incorrect

Coach
Sandow can't play as 14, it's a waste of $300k. You don't change halves during a game and he can't play hooker as he can't tackle. Would prefer Docker as our 14 over Sandow for 1/3 the price if not more - and that's if we even carry a hooker in 16.

Also Kelly is on a second tier contract and off - contract, so no saving money there.

I wouldn't be changing the halves, I'd bring him on at hooker, 10-12 minutes a half, leave Peats out there to switch to the backrow. Let him defend in the middle where he'll have some help instead of on the edges like he does now where gets isolated...

I acknowledge its a risk, but fmd, what have we got IDG on the books for at the moment? Wouldn't be a lot less than 280K. And he offers zilch so that's a waste of whatever salary he's getting.

ZDC will defend no better at NRL level than Sandow, but yeah, the salary he would command would be signficantly less.

T.S Quint

Coach
I wouldn't be changing the halves, I'd bring him on at hooker, 10-12 minutes a half, leave Peats out there to switch to the backrow. Let him defend in the middle where he'll have some help instead of on the edges like he does now where gets isolated...

I acknowledge its a risk, but fmd, what have we got IDG on the books for at the moment? Wouldn't be a lot less than 280K. And he offers zilch so that's a waste of whatever salary he's getting.

ZDC will defend no better at NRL level than Sandow, but yeah, the salary he would command would be signficantly less.

No.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Could he really defend worse than Sandow at NRL level?? Sandow is in the conversation for 'all time worst' NRL defenders. At times the bloke doesn't miss the tackle because he doesn't even bother to attempt it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He had a small stint there a Cronulla? About 3 games or so.
He was dropped pretty quickly and never played that position again. He was awful. Couldn't catch a bomb.

He wasn't the best, but he was rookie with hardly any NRL experience. Could be better with more NRL experience.

Latest posts