What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we keep Sandow?

eels_fan

First Grade
So apparently Foran has requested that Sandow be re-signed to partner him in the halves...

Forty20

First Grade
So apparently Foran has requested that Sandow be re-signed to partner him in the halves...

Given Brad Arthur's notorious stone-walling of the media on the topic of recruitment and the way Foran had quietly conducted his own negotiations I am going to mark that down as 100% purely speculative from the media.

souths_pride

Juniors
No you couldn't. While every playmaker goes better when his forwards win the fight, Sandow is more dependent on that than any other. That's why his best is so great and his worst so poor.

And you can't count on winning in the middle every week, even with a good pack. Especially at the end of the year when the good packs usually cancel each other out.

While what you say is true (especially when it comes to his kicking game), I think a lot of the poor things that Sandow does on the field comes down to his decision making and selection of plays and has nothing to do with his forwards; even when he was at Souths he would often choose the wrong play at the wrong time. In saying that, I think there is a place for him at Parramatta. They key to getting the best out of him is to limit his involvement to key areas of the field and certain plays where his flair and extravagance can't hurt the team if it goes wrong. I would compare him to someone like Ben Roberts and the way he was managed by Craig Bellamy - he limited his touched and involvement until his skill set was required in the game. In a nutshell, you need the likes of Norman and Peats to handle all the 'organisational' stuff, getting the team moving forward etc. and then allow Sandow to get his hands on the footy when you to shift the footy etc.

Chipmunk

Coach
While what you say is true (especially when it comes to his kicking game), I think a lot of the poor things that Sandow does on the field comes down to his decision making and selection of plays and has nothing to do with his forwards; even when he was at Souths he would often choose the wrong play at the wrong time. In saying that, I think there is a place for him at Parramatta. They key to getting the best out of him is to limit his involvement to key areas of the field and certain plays where his flair and extravagance can't hurt the team if it goes wrong. I would compare him to someone like Ben Roberts and the way he was managed by Craig Bellamy - he limited his touched and involvement until his skill set was required in the game. In a nutshell, you need the likes of Norman and Peats to handle all the 'organisational' stuff, getting the team moving forward etc. and then allow Sandow to get his hands on the footy when you to shift the footy etc.

I think as a stop gap measure this early in the season Peats in the 7 isnt the worst option available.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don't think Peats is a half.
We'd probably be better off playing either Matterson, Quinlan or Seffa there.

Noise

Coach
It's my bday and I'm blind in a cab right now, but f**k I love Sandow and want him him partnering Foran on. The right . Apologies if this makes no sense.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Why in the world are we worried about Chrissy atm when we have the run over genius pretending to be winger?

I'd keep him and Norman. A backline like

1. Norman
2. Semi
3. Takirangi
4. Hopoate
5. John Folau
6. Foran
7. Sandow

Looks very dangerous

yy_cheng

Coach
Seph is not a half.he delivers the ball too slowly to his outside men.

Ok with the hold them up short pass but if we need the ball quick to the outside man he is slow as.

He is even slow at dummy half. He sort of has to c**k his arm first before he delivers

It's my bday and I'm blind in a cab right now, but f**k I love Sandow and want him him partnering Foran on. The right . Apologies if this makes no sense.

It makes far too much sense, even if it is just a mancrush. AND there's not even a spelling error. Go and have another drink.

And happy birthday.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why in the world are we worried about Chrissy atm when we have the run over genius pretending to be winger?

Because we have plenty of replacements for the winger you refer to, who would all probably combined cost less than Sandow does. At present, we have no adequate replacement for Sandow

caylo

Bench
I'd keep him and Norman. A backline like

1. Norman
2. Semi
3. Takirangi
4. Hopoate
5. John Folau
6. Foran
7. Sandow

Looks very dangerous

Norman is questionable under the high ball, questionable positioning and is probably slower then Hoppa. Either Sandow or Norman in my opinion. If we lose Hoppa we need to find a fullback and Morris showed what an athletic hard running fullback can do, norman isn't that type of player. I think Norman showed he could take hold of a game, I honestly think Foran-Norman with Norman on the right can work.
Also with Normans left foot it would open up the right side of the field for 40/20s etc and their defense would be very good.