What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we rate melbourne?

Perth Red

Post Whore
can't believe you don't rate Cronk. His first year and he is doing everything the coach has asked him to do. he isn't the most creative payer on the field but he is leading the side around and doing all the little things right. Out of Hill and Cronk i know which I think is performing well!

fulltime

Juniors
Surandy said:
Which team is "your" team? Souths?

Edit: Make that Warriors, they have the worst home crowd average so far this season.

Tigers actually but here are some facts to sum up the failure of the melbourne experiment.

name the last team to be near the top of the table after 7 or more rounds and not be able to pull 13,000 to a single home game.

In fact name the only team that has failed to get 13,000 to a single home game from 2002 onwards.

name the team with an avg of 9,536 this year, and who has averaged less than 10,000 every year from 2002 on.

What piss poor figures for a team with the playmakers, talent and current performance they have.

Based anywhere else that team would be supported by 15,000+ every home game.

The Storm on the field are a success.

Unfortunately they are an abysmal failure in every other department.

mattyg

Bench
Come on...Melbourne have been averaging 8,000 supporters every year basically, and now they have improved that by 1,500. Who's to say that they won't keep improving. Plus melbourne HARDLY have playmakers and talent as you said. They have Billy Slater and Greg Inglis..yeah

Of course they should be attracting 15,000+ to there games, but when was the last time you seen there stadium, its a shocker. Im rather confident that Storm will crack the 13,000 crowd this season at some stage. Maybe against the Bulldogs or Broncos. I hope they do at least.

Its important that we keep Melbourne in the comp. From what i hear the news are reporting NRL slightly now (does eddie have something to do with this?), and Greg Inglis is almost a hero down there. Did Nth Qld get 20,000 per game when they were first introduced? im not sure but you wouldnt think so. It will take time but when the new stadium is built i think Melbourne could regularly attract about 12-15K

Surandy

Bench
fulltime said:
Tigers actually but here are some facts to sum up the failure of the melbourne experiment.

Experiment? Typical bullsh*t Sydney centric turn of phrase there.

fulltime said:
name the last team to be near the top of the table after 7 or more rounds and not be able to pull 13,000 to a single home game.

Can't be stuffed syphoning thru the stats to find examples.

fulltime said:
In fact name the only team that has failed to get 13,000 to a single home game from 2002 onwards.

Most teams actually. How about Round 10 2004? Tigers vs Canberra at Campbelltown on 16/5/04. 8310. And that wasn't even the Tigers worst home crowd that year.

fulltime said:
name the team with an avg of 9,536 this year, and who has averaged less than 10,000 every year from 2002 on.

Name the team that gets NRL games after midnight consistently from our "broadcast partners". Name the team that gets bugger all radio coverage coz some stupid moron granted Australia wide exclusive rights to the most biased bunch of morons. Name the team that currently plays it's home games at one of the worst RL grounds in the country.

fulltime said:
What piss poor figures for a team with the playmakers, talent and current performance they have.

And yet how many non-Melbourne supporters rated those playmakers and that talent to take us higher than 9th in 2006 before the start of the season?

fulltime said:

Our crowd average is growing, albeit slowly. This should continue increase, just wait until the new stadium is built.

fulltime said:

Hahaha, it must gall you to say that.

fulltime said:

Every other department? Name more than one other department.

mattyg

Bench
Brilliant post...just brilliant. Dont worry guys there are sydney people up here that appreciate Melbourne getting a crowd of 10,000+.

By the way i think you might want to look at this..

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/event.php?eventid=974

Not bad considering we have tigers supporters rambling on about how shocking melbourne crowds are...4,125 hahahahahahaha

Surandy

Bench
UndertakerMike said:
owned fulltime :lol:

Nah, not quite. Need to ask about these crowds and see what crap excuse fulltime moron will have.

Round 24, 2002 Tigers vs Melbourne at Leichardt on 24/8/02 crowd 5,287
Round 11, 2003 Tigers vs Penrith at Campbelltown on 25/5/03 crowd 4,125
Round 25, 2003 Tigers vs North Qld at Campbelltown on 31/8/03 crowd 6,158
Round 19, 2004 Tigers vs Melbourne at Leichardt on 17/7/04 crowd 5,648

Given that crap crowd figures and using fulltime's logic the Tigers should have kicked out of the NRL.

mattyg

Bench
Surandy said:
Nah, not quite. Need to ask about these crowds and see what crap excuse fulltime moron will have.

Given that crap crowd figures and using fulltime's logic the Tigers should have kicked out of the NRL.

HAHAHA!! absolutely disgraceful..look at the bandwagon supporters. Im pretty sure there were Tigers supporters on here a few weeks ago rubbing up souths supporters because they could only draw 8,000 after losing 7 in a row.:sarcasm:

Surandy

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
Name when the storm ever got 4,000.

F*ck.... four thousand.....that is bad.

Hmm, pre-season game in Morwell in the absolutely pouring rain, I heard there was about 3k to that game, I think it was 2003, the last time the Storm were able to play a trial match in Victoria. We'd play a pre-season trial in Victoria every year if we could but in order for that to happen the opposition team has to agree to it, which of course they don't as very few in the NRL care much about expanding the game, much like fulltime judging in his/her posts.

fulltime

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime

It is what it was and a failed one at that

Quote:

No need for syphoning there is only one MELBOURNE STORM

Quote:

Most teams actually. How about Round 10 2004? Tigers vs Canberra at Campbelltown on 16/5/04. 8310. And that wasn't even the Tigers worst home crowd that year.

Read It again it might be a bit hard for you.
The Storm are the only team to Fail to achieve at least one single Home game crowd above 13,000. Not even once able to get a decent number to one game. Pathetic.
Every other team has achieved this in the last 4 years.

Quote:

Name the team that gets NRL games after midnight consistently from our "broadcast partners". Name the team that gets bugger all radio coverage coz some stupid moron granted Australia wide exclusive rights to the most biased bunch of morons. Name the team that currently plays it's home games at one of the worst RL grounds in the country.

TV, I'll give you that re CH 9 but Foxtel coverage the same for all of us.
Sydney Gets the following radio coverage of game calls 2GB and ABC only. So if you get that in Melbourne you are the same.
Well Leichhardt is a hole as well. No parking, no facilities(the great dungeon toilet is a highlight), a termite riddled grandstand, would have to be one of the worst grounds yet plenty still bother going there.

Quote:

And yet how many non-Melbourne supporters rated those playmakers and that talent to take us higher than 9th in 2006 before the start of the season?

I had the storm around 5th/6th actually with the big question on Cronk as he was largely unknown to me.
The Storm have always had a workmanlike no nonsense pack every year and even though I hate him when he plays the tigers, on his day Kidwell's hard nose tactics put other teams forwards off there game.
You might be surprised that us Sydney Centric types who watch the game actually repect the talents of Geyer, King, Slater etc perhaps moreso than those in there own city apparently when less than 10k can be bothered to turn up regurlarly.
Inglis showed a Little last year and has exploded this year.

Quote:

Our crowd average is growing, albeit slowly. This should continue increase, just wait until the new stadium is built.

1998 - 12,717

2006 - 9,536

geez, would hate to see it if it wasn't growing.

Quote:

Nope. I love watching the storm play there exciting brand of football. Unlike you I can appreciate other team and there players.

Quote:

Brand Awareness - they have had 10 years now so does the average Melbournian how a clue the storm exist, when they play, who are there stars(would most melbournians be able to name 4 storm players or even say 4 NRL players)
The storms lack of customers(crowd) suggest low brand impact and awareness.

Financially - would they be able to exist without News Limited.
Could they support themselves through just their own corporate sponsorship Deals, NRL Grant and league club(s) grants. Most other clubs do not have private owners and have to survive this way.

There you go.

fulltime

Juniors
Surandy said:

And no surprise 3 of those against out of town teams and no surprise of 2 against the storm and all there travelling fans.

No not kicked out as despite these low crowds we still in each and every year above have also managed to get at least one game above 15,000.
The supporters might be fickle but they are there.
At least when we win they come out and even in a non final making team of 2004 we averaged 13,925 off the low in 2003 of 8,993 when running 2nd last.
Of course 2005 and 2006 are 18,000+.

Can we say that about the Storm?
If you win will they come. The evidence says no.
they have made the finals the last 3 years and yet average under 10,000.

It would be great if the storm could ever get 13,000 to a game regurlarly.
It would at least show that some penetration into the market has happened.

mattyg

Bench
fulltime said:
It would be great if the storm could ever get 13,000 to a game regurlarly.
It would at least show that some penetration into the market has happened.

i will wait till Melbourne get there new stadium. What they are at now is like sydney showground...we hardly got anyone at that ground either. With eddie now channel 9 boss, just a bit of league promotion down there and by 2008 i think we can see Melbourne regularly drawing 15,000.

Surandy

Bench
fulltime said:
Quote:

It is what it was and a failed one at that

Quote:

No need for syphoning there is only one MELBOURNE STORM

Quote:

Read It again it might be a bit hard for you.
The Storm are the only team to Fail to achieve at least one single Home game crowd above 13,000. Not even once able to get a decent number to one game. Pathetic.
Every other team has achieved this in the last 4 years.

Quote:

TV, I'll give you that re CH 9 but Foxtel coverage the same for all of us.
Sydney Gets the following radio coverage of game calls 2GB and ABC only. So if you get that in Melbourne you are the same.
Well Leichhardt is a hole as well. No parking, no facilities(the great dungeon toilet is a highlight), a termite riddled grandstand, would have to be one of the worst grounds yet plenty still bother going there.

Quote:

I had the storm around 5th/6th actually with the big question on Cronk as he was largely unknown to me.
The Storm have always had a workmanlike no nonsense pack every year and even though I hate him when he plays the tigers, on his day Kidwell's hard nose tactics put other teams forwards off there game.
You might be surprised that us Sydney Centric types who watch the game actually repect the talents of Geyer, King, Slater etc perhaps moreso than those in there own city apparently when less than 10k can be bothered to turn up regurlarly.
Inglis showed a Little last year and has exploded this year.

Quote:

1998 - 12,717

2006 - 9,536

geez, would hate to see it if it wasn't growing.

Quote:

Nope. I love watching the storm play there exciting brand of football. Unlike you I can appreciate other team and there players.

Quote:

Brand Awareness - they have had 10 years now so does the average Melbournian how a clue the storm exist, when they play, who are there stars(would most melbournians be able to name 4 storm players or even say 4 NRL players)
The storms lack of customers(crowd) suggest low brand impact and awareness.

Financially - would they be able to exist without News Limited.
Could they support themselves through just their own corporate sponsorship Deals, NRL Grant and league club(s) grants. Most other clubs do not have private owners and have to survive this way.

There you go.

Radio coverage = 2GB the 2 means that it is a NSW radio station. If it was Victorian it would have a 3 in front.

Pay TV = what percentage penetration does pay tv in this country have?

Brand awareness = Waldron & co are working on improving brand awareness, that's why most media release stuff now uses purple more than any other color as it stands out in the cluttered Melbourne market-place. Most Melburnians know the Storm exist but lots have little interest because they've been brainwashed since birth that AFL is the only game to follow.

Financially = Waldron's orders from News Ltd is to get the Storm self-sufficient and he is working hard to that end. I have heard talk that they are now cashflow neutral, although I am not sure of the truthfulness of my source. Corporate sponsorship of Storm is close to the best sporting sponsorship for one team in this country for 2006.

Leagues Club? That is a NSW thing. Have you been out of NSW?

Crowd = you put much store in the drop in crowd average between 1998 and 2006, but do you understand the factors that change? If not then don't bother commenting.

You comment on the support from News Ltd, if it wasn't for the support from News Ltd Storm would not have survived this long as we've had little support from the NRL. Two years ago there was one, yes one, ARL Development Officer covering the whole of Victoria. Do you know when the NRL last advertised the NRL brand in Victoria? Nope, me neither, it's been a long time since I last saw an NRL ad on FTA tv.

You say that Melbourne Storm are a failed "experiment" yet you have based your entire argument on Storm's home crowds. Don't bother commenting on what you don't know or understand. Do you see me commenting on the Super League War?

mattyg

Bench
we have to say it again. Melbourne can be losing and they will still get 8,000 to a game, Tigers on the other hand wont. Im in no situation to comment on the coverage down there but from what i have heard they hardly even know NRL exists. If it is an experiment, you need to add ingredients, that being advertising, you cant just expect it to work without the ingredients.

Surandy

Bench
fulltime said:
And no surprise 3 of those against out of town teams and no surprise of 2 against the storm and all there travelling fans.

Travelling fans?

How many travelling fans can Storm count in our home crowd numbers? Very bloody few I can guarantee you. How many Tigers crowds over 13k are against interstate/overseas teams?

Surandy

Bench
fulltime said:
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=83

Says it all really.
The A-League dominating the crowds in one season over the Storm since 2003(all final making teams).
One crowd above 12,000 and a Low 6,053.

Says what? Compare like with like, Storm's first season vs Victory's first season.

Who has the lowest home crowd? Storm or Tigers? 4,125 and that was against Penrith, did no Panthers supporters "travel" to that match?

mattyg

Bench
to be honest campbeltown is not that bad to get too from penrith, just go down the Northen road and you there, and panthers were in good form that year...i would say 2,000 of that whopping crowd would have been tigers supporters.

Just look at storm's figures, they had good crowds when they were introduced and then they seemed to die down a bit. I guess they would of had heaps of publicity down there when they came in, if only they got the same now crowd figures would be the same.

Latest posts