What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
He is a Christian. That is what Christians believe. What a f**king boring old world we live in if everyone has to think the same.

Lol. Still playing the victim. You god botherers are a funny lot.

Fancy wishing for everyone to think with compassion and empathy, rather than believing folks that their outdated book of parables hadn't conceived of when it was written by ancient men are "evil"...a bit of empathy, what a horrid, Orwellian concept!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He is a Christian. That is what Christians believe. What a f**king boring old world we live in if everyone has to think the same.
It's what he believes, and it's what a subset of Christians may believe. Suggesting that it's what Christians believe in general ... not remotely accurate

The_Frog

First Grade
It's what he believes, and it's what a subset of Christians may believe. Suggesting that it's what Christians believe in general ... not remotely accurate

The very heart of the Christian faith is that the only way to overcome sin is to commit to Christ. Every sermon in a Christian church stresses this. Anyone who does not believe it is not a Christian.

King hit

Coach
I’m catholic myself and don’t believe a single thing what he believes. I have cousins who are part of a church group, none of them believe in what he says.

The_Frog

First Grade
Lol. Still playing the victim. You god botherers are a funny lot.

Fancy wishing for everyone to think with compassion and empathy, rather than believing folks that their outdated book of parables hadn't conceived of when it was written by ancient men are "evil"...a bit of empathy, what a horrid, Orwellian concept!
Not actually a god botherer old mate. You are making assumptions here. I do happen to know what the basis of Christianity is though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not actually a god botherer old mate. You are making assumptions here. I do happen to know what the basis of Christianity is though.

As do I. Telling fearful old timey people they'll go to hell if they don't follow the (approved) teachings of your mythical Messiah is a fantastic way to control them...

Anyway, you're being incredibly simplistic. What is a sin? Plenty of people (including the Pope!) no longer agree with Folau and his extremist mates regarding his views on homosexuality being evil or even necessarily a sin....

The_Frog

First Grade
Anyway, you're being incredibly simplistic. What is a sin? Plenty of people (including the Pope!) no longer agree with Folau and his extremist mates regarding his views on homosexuality being evil or even necessarily a sin....
It is not a sin to be homosexual. It is a sin to have sex with someone you aren't married to, or of the same sex as yourself (only if you are male, the bible is silent on females) among many many other things. The whole idea is that you cannot avoid sin other than through Christ. It's a hard thing to commit yourself to, which I suppose is why fewer people in our affluent society are.

This is where the gays misunderstand, maybe deliberately. They are not singled out. Everyone is the same. Everyone is a sinner. That is the doctrine. Folou (possibly put up to it by others who wanted to use his celebrity) tried to express that in a very confronting way, and made himself the target of their vengeance. A vengeance that in my opinion is much worse than anything he might have done.

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
So apparently to get a life ban in the NRL you have too:

* Make an unacceptable social media post

* Put a $10 first try scorer bet on

Everything else can be forgiven
We have actual criminals playing in the NRL.

But controversial views? Boooooooo! Hissssssss!

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
My view is no upside to having him in game , he is over 30 , hasn’t played NRL 10 years or more and was happy playing his trade for our competitors in AFL and union . League owes him nothing . I wouldn’t have him in game because of above reasons .

As for what he posted , i find the bigger issue the campaign to stop him earning money a bigger issue ... the clown Fitzsimmons said that the st George bank and Telstra got hounded on social media because dragons were going to sign him . If this is true it is Very wrong .

I wonder what those people would think if he decided to join the call centre at those two organisations would they care or would they hound them on social media and not allow him to earn a crust

Bazal

Post Whore
My view is no upside to having him in game , he is over 30 , hasn’t played NRL 10 years or more and was happy playing his trade for our competitors in AFL and union . League owes him nothing . I wouldn’t have him in game because of above reasons .

As for what he posted , i find the bigger issue the campaign to stop him earning money a bigger issue ... the clown Fitzsimmons said that the st George bank and Telstra got hounded on social media because dragons were going to sign him . If this is true it is Very wrong .

I wonder what those people would think if he decided to join the call centre at those two organisations would they care or would they hound them on social media and not allow him to earn a crust

Look I don't think anyone is actually against him earning a living. He wants to go get a real job, good for him.

But given his history, plenty don't believe he should be given the privilege (and influence) of playing in the NRL. He can even believe what he wants but as an NRL player he has a certain standing and when he starts to demean or damage others with those beliefs then there's a problem.

Valheru

Coach
So apparently to get a life ban in the NRL you have too:

* Make an unacceptable social media post

* Put a $10 first try scorer bet on

Everything else can be forgiven

It's pretty ironic that this uproar is happening at the exact same time a current player is pleading guilty to police intimidation and being punished with a 2 year good behaviour bond.

The_Frog

First Grade
Opening a real can of worms here. You will rarely find a group of Catholics who all believe in the core tenets of the faith.

Only 1/3 believe in transubstantiation according to this. In my experience with Catholics that number would be considerably lower:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/05/transubstantiation-eucharist-u-s-catholics/#:~:text=Transubstantiation – the idea that during,'”
They do this in the Anglican church too, but they make it clear that it is just ordinary bread and grape juice. It represents the body and blood of Jesus though.

The_Frog

First Grade
But given his history, plenty don't believe he should be given the privilege (and influence) of playing in the NRL.
This is what they believe, sure enough, but is it a fair and reasonable thing to believe? It used to be a crime to practice gay sex when I was a kid, but I never heard of anyone being openly denied employment in their field of choice because of it, and to do so has been itself illegal for going on half a century now.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That’s true, like most religious people many pick and choose from their doctrines to suit themselves lol