What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

The Great Dane

First Grade

Explain to me the philosophy behind fundamental human rights in a soundbite!

Something tells me that you'll find that extremely difficult.

You write hundreds of words and contribute very little. You are one of those crass bores who thinks writing lengthy tomes is indicative of intelligence. It isn’t.

And you contribute nothing but snide remarks and appeals to emotion. So I guess we both contribute "very little" then.

Shark62

Juniors
True there're repercussions to everything, however as a society we decide what is and what isn't an appropriate repercussion to every transgression, and for a long time now as a society we haven't accepted these sorts of repercussions for people expressing opinions that others find offensive and for bloody good reason!

Nobody, I repeat nobody, is saying that their aren't or should not be repercussions for freedom of speech and expression, we're saying that these repercussions (ruining peoples lives and threatening their livelihoods) are bad repercussions that go way to far.

And those young gay people would be a lot worse off right now if the people that offended the sensibilities of the majority by coming out in support of their rights were all treated in the manner that you are supporting that Folau be treated in!

We have Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression for a very important reason, to protect those with minority opinions! And though your opinion my be a majority opinion at the moment it almost certainly will not be forever, so if you get rid of those protections now there's nothing stopping future generations from doing what you are supporting being done to Folau for his opinions to people that share your opinions in the future.
I shouldn’t encourage you. You just write longer more boring tales of misery. There has never been and never will be a right to say whatever you like without consequence. Now go write another 1000 word response that nobody will read.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
True there're repercussions to everything, however as a society we decide what is and what isn't an appropriate repercussion to every transgression, and for a long time now as a society we haven't accepted these sorts of repercussions for people expressing opinions that others find offensive and for bloody good reason!

Nobody, I repeat nobody, is saying that their aren't or should not be repercussions for freedom of speech and expression, we're saying that these repercussions (ruining peoples lives and threatening their livelihoods) are bad repercussions that go way to far.

Frank Sinatra was run out of Australia in the 1970s for some off colour remarks about female journalists. People don't want to associate with wankers.

I am far from an internet scold but people who hold high profile positions have a responsibility to not embarrass those they associate with.I would get fired from my job if I posted similar things to Israel on social media and it got back to my employer. I have a code of conduct to follow online and I am sure I am not the only person on this forum that has to follow one.

What, would you suggest is the ideal course of action for the ARU if Israel cannot stop breaching the code of conduct they are trying to hold him to ???

And those young gay people would be a lot worse off right now if the people that offended the sensibilities of the majority by coming out in support of their rights were all treated in the manner that you are supporting that Folau be treated in!

We have Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression for a very important reason, to protect those with minority opinions! And though your opinion my be a majority opinion at the moment it almost certainly will not be forever, so if you get rid of those protections now there's nothing stopping future generations from doing what you are supporting being done to Folau for his opinions to people that share your opinions in the future.

When I was a kid growing up in the hunter valley so in the 1990s there was a gay kid at my school. Anyway a group of boys beat the shit out of him just for being gay.

You literally have no idea

Shark62

Juniors
Frank Sinatra was run out of Australia in the 1970s for some off colour remarks about female journalists. People don't want to associate with wankers.

I am far from an internet scold but people who hold high profile positions have a responsibility to not embarrass those they associate with.I would get fired from my job if I posted similar things to Israel on social media and it got back to my employer. I have a code of conduct to follow online and I am sure I am not the only person on this forum that has to follow one.

What, would you suggest is the ideal course of action for the ARU if Israel cannot stop breaching the code of conduct they are trying to hold him to ???

When I was a kid growing up in the hunter valley so in the 1990s there was a gay kid at my school. Anyway a group of boys beat the shit out of him just for being gay.

You literally have no idea
this

Meth

Staff member

I hear this. I get it. The welfare of gay people (and particularly the young) must be provided for.

Once you separate what you think of Folau and his views though, this is hugely problematic IMO

ULYSSES

Juniors
But Folaus views are a paraphrase of the bible which is the word of god. Your argument is with GOD not Folau. Let us know how that discussion turns out.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I hear this. I get it. The welfare of gay people (and particularly the young) must be provided for.

Once you separate what you think of Folau and his views though, this is hugely problematic IMO

I took issue with TGD saying that people might be mean to gay rights advocates. They very well might be but gay people used to get murdered for being gay and not all that long ago. They still do in many countries often based on religions.

Its not like gay people haven't suffered discrimination

What is the ARU supposed to do when he constantly flaunts the code of conduct ?? They have asked him not to do it before. Its not a lot to ask a pro athlete not to post that gay people are going to hell lol

Pete Cash

Post Whore
But Folaus views are a paraphrase of the bible which is the word of god. Your argument is with GOD not Folau. Let us know how that discussion turns out.

We live in a secular society and businesses don't like when employees chase off potential customers by saying they are going to hell. Kind of crazy but hey thats capitalism for you

Meth

Staff member
What is the ARU supposed to do when he constantly flaunts the code of conduct ?? They have asked him not to do it before. Its not a lot to ask a pro athlete not to post that gay people are going to hell lol

Apparently, Folau contests that he was definitively told that he was forbidden to use his social media platforms as he had been.

That aside, I have issues with codes taking moral positions on behalf of their players and then expecting their players to automatically adhere and fall in line (even if I may agree with the virtue of the moral position). I also think we're in new and somewhat unchartered territory with social media policies.

Shark62

Juniors
Apparently, Folau contests that he was definitively told that he was forbidden to use his social media platforms as he had been.

That aside, I have issues with codes taking moral positions on behalf of their players and then expecting their players to automatically adhere and fall in line (even if I may agree with the virtue of the moral position). I also think we're in new and somewhat unchartered territory with social media policies.
Social media policies have been there for some years now. This is nothing new. I’m working on contract right now and it’s not hard to find clearly defined policies in every place I work.

Meth

Staff member
Social media policies have been there for some years now. This is nothing new. I’m working on contract right now and it’s not hard to find clearly defined policies in every place I work.

Pretty new in professional sport?

I know its a workplace and a workplace is a workplace, but I am not aware of anything like this happening in professional sport in this part of the world.

Any precedent spring to mind?

Smack

Coach

Yup it's common sense, don't be a goose while representing your employer that you are contractually obliged too with homophobic nonsense that will upset a wide custom base.

Shark62

Juniors
Pretty new in professional sport?

I know its a workplace and a workplace is a workplace, but I am not aware of anything like this happening in professional sport in this part of the world.

Any precedent spring to mind?
In terms of a player refusing to agree to behave in accordance with the sports values as required? No

Pete Cash

Post Whore

I would get fired if I suggested on my social media that I couldn't be trusted to treat people equally. A lot of what I post here could probably get me fired lol but I keep a large enough gap between my real life and my league unlimited posts that I am not too bothered about being tracked down.

The issue isnt that he is religious, its that he is saying that gay people should be punished for being gay. Its the same logic that ISIS used to throw gays off buildings. Like if being gay is bad enough that gay people literally burn in hell for all eternity than shouldn't we be punishing them on Earth ?

For better or worse sports see themselves as brands. If he cannot keep his idiot views to himself then sports will not want to associate with him

Bazal

Post Whore

Why would I wish to argue with Folau's imaginary friend?

Cop out.

stryker

First Grade
Why is the gay community isolated by this?
Im more upset he said drunks are going to hell.

Bazal

Post Whore
His imaginary friend is God. Tell him why he doesn't exist. Let us know the result of an argument of a creation with the creator.

How would one go about arguing with something imaginary?

BasicFickleHorsechestnutleafminer-small.gif

Latest posts