What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you listen to game coverage on the radio?

Do you listen to game coverage on the radio?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Yes sometimes

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters

DC_fan

Coach
With the radio rights up again soon. I thought it might be worthwhile asking if anyone, or more importantly how many people listen to game coverage on the radio.

It has been a very very long time since I listened to a call of the game on radio. I am either at a game or watching it on TV. Now I know not everyone has Foxtel, so for those who don't radio coverage may be important.

This thread is joy about who should get the rights or for how much. More about how relevant to you is radio coverage of the game.

Feej

First Grade
Sometimes, and then only the ABC. Raaaaay can shove it up his backside.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I just want it back to how it used to be. 3-4 stations covering the games. It used to be so good having a choice of commentators. Radio is great when I am at work and need to concentrate on other things, having the radio on in the background lets me keep in touch with whats happening.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Only listen to the radio through the week for NRL news, but that's it. Fox commentators are good to listen to imo and there's only a few games I watch on 9, so the TV is good enough.

I'll say this though, if more games ended up on 9, I would seriously consider listening to them on the radio. Only thing is though, the TV is slightly delayed and the radio isn't, so it's kind of annoying to watch TV on mute, while listening to the radio.

juanfarkall

Coach
I just want it back to how it used to be. 3-4 stations covering the games. It used to be so good having a choice of commentators. Radio is great when I am at work and need to concentrate on other things, having the radio on in the background lets me keep in touch with whats happening.

Would be great (and my own preference).
History tells us that the NRL has not taken radio rights seriously (particularly outside of Sydney) for many years.
Can't always be at the game or in front of Fox or near a PC.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yes. If my team is playing on a Saturday or Monday I'll try to listen to the game no matter what as I don't have Foxtel so it's the only way to get live commentary. If it's not my team playing then I'll still listen on Saturday nights if I'm home. I don't listen to Triple M on Monday nights if my team's not playing as I find Dan Ginnane way too over the top. I never listen to Sunday footy on the radio as I normally like to watch the 4pm game and don't want spoilers for the delayed telecast.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i used to listen to dave morrow and the boys or the hotfm call team back in the day cause i didnt have austar and channeln nine didnt show cowboys matches. but im not lilely to listen to a radio match unless i feel like it, like it being a big match and i cant get to a tv or im bored

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yes sometimes for early saturday game and sunday arvo games if i am coming back from playing soccer. I like Andrew Moores calls but the only times i have heard Ray was when the CCT did coverage of the bush games last year, which i thought were pretty goof calls tbh.

Parra

Referee
Every weekend. There should be no radio or internet rights for live coverage. Anyone who wants to call or do live blogs of any game should be encouraged. Transmitting live pictures is different, but everything else should be treated same as newspaper coverage. Would anyone tolerate a newspaper having rights to the exclusion of all others? Same for radio. Same for live cover at sites like LU.

Yabby

Juniors
My team is the Cowboys and the only time I watch them on TV is if they land a Friday night slot. Other than that it is the radio and the broadcaster of choice is the ABC. During footy season I will potter around the backyard listening to the ABC on Saturday from 5:00 and Sunday from 12:00. The reason being is I have 3 young kids and 3 young kids is not condusive to relaxed footy watching at Dairy Farmers Satdium - I have tried and all they want to do is run around. Whilst I turn to the ABC for my serious listening I will, I've never told anyone this before, listen to the Continuous Call Team on a Saturday up until 5:00. The benefit of radio is that you can get stuff done around the yard etc. whereas TV you have to be sitting there watching it. Also I am too tight to get pay TV although if there was ever an option to just purchase a Cowboys game, I would.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I listen a lot to ABC Grandstand, as I'm often driving about on the weekends. Occasionally they will cover a rubgy or AFL game & I will switch to 2GB which is so unbearable I generally give up. I remember the '80s when multiple stations had calls & it was much better. Exclusive radio rights is a bad idea. I'm surprised it's still happening.

jbl31649

Juniors
Monday night MMM was ok, Sterlo, Geyer, Johns guess it'll be different this year. Ray Ray mmm, I like Blocker and Andrew, but ABC can sometimes be ordinary.

There are times when I find myself driving, so can not watch the game and I am glad Radio still covers footy. I never use to listen radio as a kid/teen though, appreciate it more as I get older.

Hoggy

Bench
Tried to record as many ABC Grandstand games, and MMM Monday night games last year as I could via streaming.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Sometimes, and then only the ABC. Raaaaay can shove it up his backside.

+1000. I will NEVER get foxtel. Warren Ryan is still the best football brain in the business. He once refered to the footy show as "the football program"... f**king brilliant!

Loudstrat

Coach
ABC Radio for me - beats the other crap hands down. 2GB is just a pisstake - its an embarrassment to not only our code, but also the media of our country.