What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Tooooks

Bench
I think he needs to get the best offensive and defensive coaches he can find for starters. I do think he’s a good coach, but he needs better people around him in my opinion.

Noise

Coach
I like him. Gets his team to perform for 80 minutes in the big games. Has the team peaking at the right time of the year. Has recruited very smart footballers and makes good use of his bench. Would re-sign.

Avenger

Immortal
Never thought he was too articulate but whatever he tells the team at half time is obviously not working. Best to just say nothing. I've had enough of him as our coach, he just comes across as a dumb merkin to me and his tactics are consistently shithouse yet our management thought it was the right time to extend him despite there being two premiership-winning coaches available.

f**k I'm annoyed. Out in straight sets again. He is a f**king pretender.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Just a refresher to re evaluate.

Has Brad Arthur, who is on a million dollars a year, deserve to keep his job, yet under performing???? Think about it on Monday , when your slaving your ass off at work earning 1/10th of what Arthur's is getting, and just remember, he is earning millions whilst failing miserably.

We are yet to make a proper fight for a premiership. Yes we have made the top 4, but in all honesty, have we looked like we can dominate a premiership???? No

Brad has structured his game plans, and with the help if a favourable draw, aimed to get a top 4 finish. He structured his contracts that if he achieved this he would get a million dollar upgrade......which he did .

Whilst I believe that he has aimed to win a premiership, I think he has ultimately aimed to meet his kipi's to extend his own career. Just look at the history of the timing of his contract extensions, and it speaks for itself.

Anyhow, this fool is coaching for the next 2 seasons after getting ANOTHER undeserved extension. Enjoy failure for the next 2 seasons you brainwashed sheep.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The decision to extend him mid season was about as good as his decision to have one prop on the bench, and his decision to take our best 3 middles off at the same time. A rookie coach wouldn't make that mistake let alone a bloke in his 7th season. I want him gone but we all know that won't happen but seriously something has to be done about the quality of his assistants and if he isn't happy with it he can always f**k off back to barber college.

Our premiership window is going to wasted on a middle of the road struggler.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I like him. Gets his team to perform for 80 minutes in the big games. Has the team peaking at the right time of the year. Has recruited very smart footballers and makes good use of his bench. Would re-sign.
Energy levels we sooooooooo good tonight, lol.

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
This'll get hijacked but for mine he's at parity now. I like him and I think with him we're a 3rd-6th level team BUT he needs to show he can do it in the finals. Yeah he didn't miss the penalty goal, but he talks about playing for 80 yet without Paulo/Nrown we look lost. Yeah there was some adversity, but f**k, that's rugba leeg.
He needs a good off-season himself to improve some of his own deficient areas.
As it stands now, we need to be a top 4 team next season and I'm not sure a prelim would even cut the mustard. Would be a very subjective call

He'd look good playing at the storm, raiders or panthers. Maybe it's us not him.

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
Never thought he was too articulate but whatever he tells the team at half time is obviously not working. Best to just say nothing. I've had enough of him as our coach, he just comes across as a dumb merkin to me and his tactics are consistently shithouse yet our management thought it was the right time to extend him despite there being two premiership-winning coaches available.

f**k I'm annoyed. Out in straight sets again. He is a f**king pretender.

Would love to see the KPIs he met to get resigned and those he must meet into future.

Mr Spock!

Referee
This'll get hijacked but for mine he's at parity now. I like him and I think with him we're a 3rd-6th level team BUT he needs to show he can do it in the finals. Yeah he didn't miss the penalty goal, but he talks about playing for 80 yet without Paulo/Nrown we look lost. Yeah there was some adversity, but f**k, that's rugba leeg.
He needs a good off-season himself to improve some of his own deficient areas.
As it stands now, we need to be a top 4 team next season and I'm not sure a prelim would even cut the mustard. Would be a very subjective call
Bennett made the comment that the 2020 Eels faded like Souths did last year because they trained so hard at the start they were burned up by finals time.

Apparently he didn't push Souths at all during the covid break.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Out in straight sets again.
What have straight sets got to do with it? We lost to the two grand finalists in 2017 and we've probably played the two grand finalists for 2020 in this year's finals. We've got decent players but we need better ones to beat better teams. Mahoney and Drown will be better players next year.

hybrideel

Bench
Didn't know about this one, missed opportunity I think

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-back-wayne-bennett/ar-BB19RRri?ocid=msedgntp
Why Parramatta knocked back Wayne Bennett
Adrian Proszenko
23 hrs ago

Parramatta rejected an approach that could have resulted in Wayne Bennett coaching the Eels instead of the Rabbitohs in Saturday night's finals clash at Bankwest Stadium.

An intermediary acting for Bennett approached Eels chairman Sean McElduff just as the latter was stepping in to replace predecessor Max Donnelly late in the 2018 season. At that point Bennett's job at Brisbane was on shaky ground, despite having a further season remaining on his contract.

At the same time, Brad Arthur was also a man under pressure. The Eels were expected to go to another level in 2018 after finishing in the top-four the previous season. However, Arthur's side never got out of the blocks, failing to recover after losing their opening six matches. They finished the season with the wooden spoon, prompting an all-encompassing review which some predicted could cost Arthur his job.

It was in this environment that a meeting was brokered in which a Bennett associate put forward the veteran coach's desire to coach Parramatta. While countless managers have purported to represent the 70-year-old without his knowledge or consent, the Eels were satisfied this approach was genuine.

The third party expressed Bennett's desire to work at a major Sydney club and pointed to his unmatched record of seven premierships as proof that he could turn the blue and golds into a genuine contender.

However McElduff, in his first big decision as chairman, had already identified the man he believed would lead Parramatta to grand final glory.

"We believed Brad Arthur could do better than what the results of 2018 reflected," McElduff told the Herald. "We had faith in him and we showed that faith. He has repaid it."

Indeed, the Eels finished the 2019 season in fifth spot and improved to third this year. Bennett, meanwhile, was sacked by Brisbane at about the time the Eels declined the advance and joined South Sydney. Now Bennett stands between Parramatta and a chance to progress to the penultimate game of the season, adding an intriguing subplot to Saturday's elimination encounter.

The Rabbitohs belted Parramatta 38-0 during their previous clash in round 16, with the Eels missing strike wingers Maiko Sivo and Blake Ferguson for the rematch. Sivo suffered an MCL tear, while Ferguson was ruled out with a knee injury of his own on Friday night when the Eels trimmed their squad back to 19.

"We need 17 fit players against a very good Rabbitohs team. We've got to trust our medical guys," Arthur said earlier on Friday during his pre-game press conference.

Parramatta's current campaign has echoes of their 2017 post-season. That year they ran into a white-hot Cowboys side that made an unlikely run to the decider. This year Souths are shaping as the form team after scoring 106 points in wins over the Roosters and Newcastle.

"It is very similar," Arthur said. "But I think going into that Cowboys game we got caught out not respecting them enough because they had quite a few players out.

"We might have been [short-priced] favourites to win that game. Souths are favourites for this game and in a lot of people's eyes probably deserve to be, but that doesn't really concern us.

"We've got a different approach, a different mentality, a different team to what we were in ???17.

"Hopefully we have learned a few of those lessons. We've had to play Melbourne three or four times in our five or six [finals] games or whatever.

"They've taught us a few good lessons."

Noise

Coach
It seems we are an eerily similar team to 2017. Got out to a good lead against Melbourne in the first week of the finals to get beaten. Then in week 2 against a team lower than us on the ladder we take a nice lead into half time to again get flogged in the second half. Seems we have learnt no lessons.

Latest posts