What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Avenger

Immortal
Throw in Mark O’Neill too. He copped it deluxe on here with the lol trolly boy shit. But he has taken a heap of weight off BA’s shoulders and he seems to be getting good results.

Also, after listening to Joey Grima a bit on the TCT podcasts, you can see that we have a strong and knowledgeable junior development team. These guys are switched on and BA has them all reading from the same playbook.

BA is learning every day and we can see him evolving. He is without a doubt very resilient and it is slowly rubbing off on the playing group.

Serious question: I anyone against him getting an extension?
Extension? Not until the end of this season.

eels_fan

First Grade
I know he cops it over edge defence but I honestly feel it’s instructed and game plan.

we focus on the middle 2/3 of the field being compact, and are willing to exposure our edges.

Tries are likely to be scored somewhere, it’s better they be out wide.

I think we’ve only given up 1 or 2 tries when we have a set defensive line (so not from a line break up field etc) in or around the posts in the entire season.

It relies on communication between the edge back rower, centre and winger - we haven’t nailed that yet but the fact we have the 3rd best defence in the league shows the plan isn’t a bad one

Do even the fence sitters and BA apologists agree that BA has surprised you this season?

The last time I enjoyed a season like this one was way back in 2005 when we were genuine title contenders throughout the season and didn’t rely on a flurry of form and a good amount of luck like in 2009.

Brad Arthur, his coaching staff, Trent Elkin (the unsung hero) and recruitment have done a exemplary job.

Never been happier in being proven wrong. Hopefully we all get together somewhere during post match drinks after the GF. Win, lose or draw I’ll be putting plenty on the bar.

Not really surprised at all. I've never believed that he was the greatest coach under the sun. But he's more than solid, has the respect of his players and the club's recruitment over the past few years has been generally very good. Some of the vitriol he has copped over the past few years has been nothing short of childish claptrap from small minded people. We'll have a less good run at some stage this season, and we'll hear the same calls from people who just have to personalise every minor disappointment in their life. So I won't be surprised then either. And we don't have too many options after Moses at the 7 position if he were to suffer a long-term injury. So I know what to expect if that happens.

I don't think we'd beat Penrith or Melbourne in a GF if they are at full strength....but hell....teams are rarely at full strength.

IFR33K

Coach
Second year in a row our defence is top three. It's no accident, and there's no need for individual scapegoats.

we need our defense top notch when it matters too. We’re going great guns, let’s hope the intensity is still there at the end of the year.

IFR33K

Coach
Throw in Mark O’Neill too. He copped it deluxe on here with the lol trolly boy shit. But he has taken a heap of weight off BA’s shoulders and he seems to be getting good results.

Also, after listening to Joey Grima a bit on the TCT podcasts, you can see that we have a strong and knowledgeable junior development team. These guys are switched on and BA has them all reading from the same playbook.

BA is learning every day and we can see him evolving. He is without a doubt very resilient and it is slowly rubbing off on the playing group.

Serious question: I anyone against him getting an extension?

Agree with you there that he’s learning, but slowly. Not having a dig at BA, but he’s had his flaws in the past with a number of issues, and slowly is adjusting. Hats off to him. Done a great job with some of the low key forwards, and recruited for this season, in our most vulnerable position! Excellent. Would I be in a rush to sign him? Not at this stage. I’d let him know I’m keen to extend his tenure here, but talks won’t commence till end of season. Obviously any possible extension would revolve around how deep the eels go into the semis, assuming we make it.

strider

Post Whore
Definite improvements but some issues remain.
Edge defence for example. I am less confident we will implode this year but I'm not totally convinced we won't either. Our "chase the collision" strategy is high risk health wise. We have been pretty lucky so far.
BA has to be at our club. His presence is vital. I remain unconvinced however that he has the tactical nouse to take us all the way. Our club as a whole is getting stronger in many ways and these improvements contribute greatly to the team's success. It's not all about the coach.
Do you think other clubs don't plan the exact same approach?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon Holbrook / O’Brien have both shown how hard it is to turn a club around. And just changing coaches isn’t always the answer.

Both were the next best coaching rookies but have both had pretty average starts.

Holbrook did pretty good in his first year but not so good this year. While O’Brien has had a pretty decent squad but it aren’t performing.

However both need time

Shows that changing coaches isn’t necessarily the answer

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon Holbrook / O’Brien have both shown how hard it is to turn a club around. And just changing coaches isn’t always the answer.

Both were the next best coaching rookies but have both had pretty average starts.

Holbrook did pretty good in his first year but not so good this year. While O’Brien has had a pretty decent squad but it aren’t performing.

However both need time

IFR33K

Coach

However both need time

Knights made the finals first year under o brien.

Titans were predicted to get the spoon last year under Holbrook, and are currently in the top 8 . Both have Done a great job without their own influence on rooster. Only time will tell if they’re genuine coaches to transform their respective teams in genuine premiership threats.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agree with you there that he’s learning, but slowly. Not having a dig at BA, but he’s had his flaws in the past with a number of issues, and slowly is adjusting. Hats off to him. Done a great job with some of the low key forwards, and recruited for this season, in our most vulnerable position! Excellent. Would I be in a rush to sign him? Not at this stage. I’d let him know I’m keen to extend his tenure here, but talks won’t commence till end of season. Obviously any possible extension would revolve around how deep the eels go into the semis, assuming we make it.
As always, it will come down to whether there is a better option available. Not too many elite coaches looking for a job at the moment.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Some teams try to run at gaps or even around.
All teams try to do that, including ours.

He said it after the Canberra game in response to our effort against the Dragons. My take is that "Chase the collision" was a reference to improving our defence rather than making a conscious effort to run over the top of people in attack.