What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 115 51.3%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course Manly had a better for and against. They played better than us during the regular season and we had a massive slump. It doesn’t reflect the quality of the rosters at all
Sure it does. The roster is only as good as its performances. Last year’s ruck interpretation suited Manly’s roster far more than ours. You can only judge the quality of your players relative to their effectiveness under the rules of the day.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
the question needs to be asked where was this last week and against tigers.
The difference was in the decisions made by our playmakers. He’s a useful heuristic:

vs Dogs
Passes by Moses/Drown: 80
Runs by RCG/Paulo: 25

vs Chooks
Passes by Moses/Drown: 64
Runs by RCG/Paulo: 45

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference for me was player intensity. A lot of dog shit commentary in recent weeks about game plans which misses the point tbh.
Yep, the game plan always allows for the players to make decisions. The coach can’t predict when the defence will be shot and the halves will need to demand the ball. That’s their call to make. It’s also the dummy half’s decision on whether to give it to them. If these merkins decide shifting the ball is the right play then that’s what they’ll do, even if the right play is another tough run up the middle. The game plan has little to do with it.

IFR33K

Coach
The difference for me was player intensity. A lot of dog shit commentary in recent weeks about game plans which misses the point tbh.

No. Not really. Nathan brown dropped and we don’t seem to have a fourth tackle settler, especially in the opposition 20. Some nice swift back line movements That seem to have dried up since semi left. We looked good going up the middle as we did attacking on the edges.

as for player intensity, the coach needs to make sure they’re up week in week out. Is it a coincidence we lost to both teams coming last?

BA even said in the presser we need the killer instinct and drive every week, and admitted it’s his job.

great to see the players were committed, hungry and played actual footy, over bash and barge

hindy111

Post Whore

And moments.
Had our pass not be called forward we are up 22-6. At that point we run away with it. Few mins later it's 16-12. Huge turning point.

Against Dogs had Blake try been allowed or their intercept try wasn't scored we may of been in the mood.
I guess the worry I why we can fall apart when lucks not on our side. Need more grit.

lucablight

First Grade
Sure it does. The roster is only as good as its performances. Last year’s ruck interpretation suited Manly’s roster far more than ours. You can only judge the quality of your players relative to their effectiveness under the rules of the day.
All the for and against tells me is that Manly were good at beating up nuffy teams but didn’t have the class to compete with the top teams when it mattered. Conversely Parramatta weren’t as consistent as Manly but were capable of rising to the occasion against the top teams. Ruck rules aren’t even a factor here. I’m talking about which side had the superior roster and it Parramatta.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No. Not really. Nathan brown dropped and we don’t seem to have a fourth tackle settler, especially in the opposition 20. Some nice swift back line movements That seem to have dried up since semi left. We looked good going up the middle as we did attacking on the edges.

as for player intensity, the coach needs to make sure they’re up week in week out. Is it a coincidence we lost to both teams coming last?

BA even said in the presser we need the killer instinct and drive every week, and admitted it’s his job.

great to see the players were committed, hungry and played actual footy, over bash and barge
Doing the Bash and barged first last night allowed them to play footy……

last week we tried to play footy without doing the bash and barge first …..”pass our way to victory…”

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I was impressed with our bash and barge. It was missing last week and meant that we earnt the right to play some football.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep, the game plan always allows for the players to make decisions. The coach can’t predict when the defence will be shot and the halves will need to demand the ball. That’s their call to make. It’s also the dummy half’s decision on whether to give it to them. If these merkins decide shifting the ball is the right play then that’s what they’ll do, even if the right play is another tough run up the middle. The game plan has little to do with it.
Dont know how anyone can watch an underperforming team and conclude that they don’t have the right game plan. It’s impossible to distinguish this given it may just be poor execution.

Also, how much does a game plan vary from week to week? Players might get different assignments for different opponents but the basic ingredients to playing well don’t change on a weekly basis.

IFR33K

Coach
Doing the Bash and barged first last night allowed them to play footy……

last week we tried to play footy without doing the bash and barge first …..”pass our way to victory…”

Never watched last weeks game as I was on holidays.

but bash and barge isn’t going to work. Of course you need to go forward before going sideways.

last night was blissful to watch. Running great lines after earning the right to do so. Hopefully we continue that way.

IFR33K

Coach
I was impressed with our bash and barge. It was missing last week and meant that we earnt the right to play some football.

Our bash and barge works against the weaker teams. Last night our first half was sensational. We need to continue that form if we’re a chance of top 4.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I just wonder how or who came up with the changes we made to our attack last night.

I wouldn't assume it was BA although it could well have been

We've seen how he sits the players down and talks to them after the game, and asks a lot of questions to the players to get feedback. Perhaps the leadership group or someone came up with a few ideas and discussed them with the bald one.

Whoever came up with these ideas did well and we need more of this.