What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

• Total voters

Eels Dude

Coach
Ben Hunt, Luke Kelly, Jordan Rankin, James Maloney, Liam Foran or Isaac John. Cheaper and with a little less experience but surely amongst them we could find one better than Sandow.

The player to get would be whoever Souths are signing to replace Sandow.....

All of those players bar Hunt and Maloney have played just a handful of first grade games and those 2 players themselves just have one season of first grade under their belt.

So do you sign a really young half and then wait another couple of years for them to develop that way they're ready for about 2014 and wait just as long for us to be a competitive side again? If you're going to do that we may as well give Brad Murray a run now and groom him to be our next long term halfback. Sandow is far from perfect but he is a talented player and under the right coaching he could be an instant success for 2012.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sandow does nit have the mental toughness to be able to lead the team around the park. He's erratic and has no vision.

Mate the kid is only 21, not many kids at that age show mental toughness and vision. Look at the current half backs;
- Cooper Cronk was not even considered a halfback at 21
- Scott Prince was considered as a attacking 5/8 at 21, definitely not a tough halfback with the ability to lead a side to the premiership
- Hodkingson only made his debut when he was 20 and is not there yet
- Soward could not be considered a regular NRL player unitl well into his 20's
- Maloney didn't make his debut until he was 22
- Mullen's at 25 is only after several erratic years considered to be developing into a class halfback after playing a lot of 5/8
- Matt Orfford didn't make his debut until he was about 23
- Thurston at 21 was considered a bench player (he came off the bench in 2004 GF), at 22 he was still considered a 5/8.
- Peter Wallace didn't debut until he was 21 and played a lot of 5/8

So Avenger based on your opinion of Sandow at 21 years old age, I assume you would of given up on all the year backs mentioned above as they were definitely not world class halfbacks with vision and mental toughess without being erratic when they were 21.

The Colonel

Immortal
Sandow is far from perfect but he is a talented player and under the right coaching he could be an instant success for 2012.

As are some of the names of the kids I have mentioned and under the right coaching could do exactly the same for much cheaper.

We'll more than likely be chasing another halfback in 12 months after we try unsuccessfully to offload Sandow for the remaining two..... I mean seriously, if he is such a valuable commodity where are all the other offers being thrown up for him?

The Colonel

Immortal
Mate the kid is only 21, not many kids at that age show mental toughness and vision. Look at the current half backs;
- Cooper Cronk was not even considered a halfback at 21
- Scott Prince was considered as a attacking 5/8 at 21, definitely not a tough halfback with the ability to lead a side to the premiership
- Hodkingson only made his debut when he was 20 and is not there yet
- Soward could not be considered a regular NRL player unitl well into his 20's
- Maloney didn't make his debut until he was 22
- Mullen's at 25 is only after several erratic years considered to be developing into a class halfback after playing a lot of 5/8
- Matt Orfford didn't make his debut until he was about 23
- Thurston at 21 was considered a bench player (he came off the bench in 2004 GF), at 22 he was still considered a 5/8.
- Peter Wallace didn't debut until he was 21 and played a lot of 5/8

So Avenger based on your opinion of Sandow at 21 years old age, I assume you would of given up on all the year backs mentioned above as they were definitely not world class halfbacks with vision and mental toughess without being erratic when they were 21.

So by your logic, we sign Sandow for three years and by the end of that contract we should actually start to see some progress from him?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So we take a chance on a player who struggles behind one of the best forward packs in the NRL? The fact you rate Sandow and dislike Maloney speaks volumes......

Sandow for three years is a bigger gamble than any of Hunt, Maloney or Kelly combined.

Would prefer Sandow over Maloney, but would prefer Maloney then Robson. I was referring to Maloney being a little bit over rated by some posters on here. If we sign Maloney it would be an improvement but not by a lot.

Also speaks volumes that Maloney also struggles behind a very good forward pack and couldn't down the halback spot this week

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So by your logic, we sign Sandow for three years and by the end of that contract we should actually start to see some progress from him?

No I am stating that not many halbacks at the age of 21 are considered to be world class halfbacks.

Most posters on here don't want to sign Sandow as they don't think he is good enough, but most forget he is only 21 years old. I was trying to show that at 21 Sandow is going as good as most of the NRL top halfbacks at the same age.

I would prefer to sign a halfback that has played 3 years , is still young and shows potential then a rookie halfback that has not even made their debut.

The Colonel

Immortal
No I am stating that not many halbacks at the age of 21 are considered to be world class halfbacks.

Most posters on here don't want to sign Sandow as they don't think he is good enough, but most forget he is only 21 years old. I was trying to show that at 21 Sandow is going as good as most of the NRL top halfbacks at the same age.

I would prefer to sign a halfback that has played 3 years , is still young and shows potential then a rookie halfback that has not even made their debut.

So why are we wasting top class money on a halfback that isn't yet top class?

Simply, I'd rather we sign a halfback form a better nursery than Souths..... like Brisbane or Melbourne. At least you only need to apply some polish rather than spend a year or two knocking off the rough edges.

Simply, I'd rather we sign a halfback form a better nursery than Souths..... like Brisbane or Melbourne. At least you only need to apply some polish rather than spend a year or two knocking off the rough edges.

You speak sense. Widdop, Luke Kelly that's who we should be after. Real future talent.

fish eel

Immortal

You've really swallowed the weidler million buck offer, haven't you?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Yep he aren't top class yet, but he has the potential to do so and he has already shown he can handle the week to week grind of the NRL.

Most of the players you mentioned apart from Hunt and Maloney have not played regular NRL so there is no gurantee they will be up to. Lokk at Brad Murrary.

At least with Sandow even if he doesn't develop into one of the top 3or4 halfbacks in the game, he is still very good. He has all the skills and would fit very nicely into our side. Maybe he may cost to much but sometimes you need to pay extra to get what you need.

Suitman

Post Whore
As are some of the names of the kids I have mentioned and under the right coaching could do exactly the same for much cheaper.

We'll more than likely be chasing another halfback in 12 months after we try unsuccessfully to offload Sandow for the remaining two..... I mean seriously, if he is such a valuable commodity where are all the other offers being thrown up for him?

Colonel,

Most other clubs are happy with their half back stocks.
I still wouldn't pay the magic mil $ though.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach

Well you need to go for who's available and those young players will take a good few years to develop whereas Sandow could come good straight away. Not point not using salary cap space if it's there we really don't need to buy a bunch of cheap fringe players for depth when we should be going for 4 or 5 proven first graders.

Not many top notch halves coming off the market next year anyway. Cronk, Prince, Pearce and Thurston have long term deals so they aren't going anywhere soon so I'd say go for Sandow, may a young half for depth and then Robson to piss off.

The Colonel

Immortal
Colonel,

Most other clubs are happy with their half back stocks.
I still wouldn't pay the magic mil $ though.

Suity

Fishy, Suity has swallowed Weidlers line too!

Regardless of what is being offered, IMO, he isn't a priority signing that will make the team that much better than some younger players for much better value.

Well you need to go for who's available and those young players will take a good few years to develop whereas Sandow could come good straight away.

We do need to go for who is available but you also have to ask why he is available. At least with players like Luke Kelly (Cronk) or Hunt (Wallace), there seems to be players ahead of them that are holding them back. At the end of the day, Souths have no better option at the present moment..... we thankfully do.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think he goes alright, and is a upgrade on both our 6 & 7.

Any one of the names mentioned is an upgrade on our current halves set up. Just because he has played more games at Souths who suffer from the same lack of options doesn't make him a priority option.

Suitman

Post Whore
Fishy, Suity has swallowed Weidlers line too!

Regardless of what is being offered, IMO, he isn't a priority signing that will make the team that much better than some younger players for much better value.

LOL.

Anyway, I'm sure you noted that I stated not that long ago that we should be raising the bar and aiming higher than Sandow.

Suity