What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Brad Arthur deserve the hype?

Noise

Coach
I reckon he is going ok, made 131 metres last night. Happy to have him on bench at moment but not with Issac.

It will happen. Last week I posted that BA was a bit slow on the uptake (finally swapping Hoppa and Robbo, dropping De Gois yesterday)and he (Paulo) will get dropped in about round 10 or 11.

souths_pride

Juniors
It now seems JT was the better bet. BA should've been hired as the recruitment manager

I disagree completely. Jason Taylor was and possibly still is a complete asshole - that is why we got rid of him a Souths! Yes there are positives to him in that he sets up his teams reasonably well and attempts to foster a winning culture, but his inter-personal skills, from all reports, are below average. Before it happened to Jason Taylor, when was the last time you heard of coach being punched in the face by his own player? In saying that, I hope his time at Souths would have changed him.

In saying that, I think there have to be some question marks raised over Brad Arthur and his tactics. I made a post in this thread previously about Brad Arthur and his lack of a game plan and nothing I saw in the game last night has convinced me to change my view on this. Evidence of this is shown through Parra's poor last tackle options; I lost count of the amount of times I saw Sandow and even Norman at times attempt to do something on the last tackle and the rest of the team not have the faintest idea about what was going on. Another example is the amount of times you see Parra attempt to execute a back line move and the play would either break down or an error would be made. Want more proof? Look at the amount of offloads - a sign that your just throwing the footy around and hoping. Basically, until this aspect of the Parra's game is sorted, they won't be winning too many footy games.

The forwards are a different story. I think you guys get good go forward up front, its just that Brad Arthur needs to manage his interchange better. I'm not sure if this happened against the Broncos but Brad Arthur cannot afford to have both Danny Wicks and Tim Mannah off the field at the same time. I thought there were times when Parra lacked someone to basically cart the ball up and make meters; there were too many ball players on the field at the same time and erradicating that comes to down to managing your interchanges better. I'm also a bit unsure of what Watmough's role in the team is? I always got the impression that he would bought as a back rower who can play up the middle and make a stack of metres - he doesn't seem to be doing much of that.

Lastly, I think the whole team needs to be more alert. Its alarming the amount of times you guys would make an error and the whole team would just stand there and watch. That has got nothing to do with the coach - that comes down to taking responsibility and having a good attitude. It also suggests that there may be a lack of leadership. I think back to the game at easter vs the tigers, when you guys were leading and got a penalty right in front of the sicks. Instead of one player taking responsibility and running up to the ref and pointing to the sticks, there was nothing but confusion; Peats held the ball in his hand, looked around and about three or four players walked by and did/said very little. The referee had to ask the team twice, what they wanted to do! That for me was a clear cut sign of a lack of leadership at the club and it could be one of the things that is hold Parra back.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm keen for BA to continue. I don't see we have an option to be honest. It obviously won't be my decision though.

But for those in the know around the club what is the likelihood of major changes on the board at this upcoming election? Because this is really the only factor that's tied to BAs continued tenure at Parra.

I'm keen for BA to continue. I don't see we have an option to be honest. It obviously won't be my decision though.

But for those in the know around the club what is the likelihood of major changes on the board at this upcoming election? Because this is really the only factor that's tied to BAs continued tenure at Parra.
I wouldn't know anything either, but my thoughts are that his position is not under immediate threat. At least, no more than the average NRL coach. We've been shit for years and have become known, rightly or wrongly, for ditching coaches. We're still seen as a team 'on the up'. It's nothing to do with Arthur and he may well be the best thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing since the onset of reality TV, but I don't see too much likelihood that we will be ditching him soon.

zipzip man

Juniors
Arthur's has had one season to recruit and retain players. That's not long enough to judge a coach.

Could have sworn he was the one who signed Anthony Watmough.... I think I'll judge him on the Watmough signing alone.

Ricky Stuart was a w@nker, but one thing I'll give him is he had the guts and the foresight to tell a heap of deadwood players, on ya bike!

Swiftstylez

Bench
^ "Arthur's has had one season to recruit and retain players. That's not long enough to judge a coach."
stone-cold-laughing_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Tell that to our last few coaches that only got 1.5 years to make a finals series.

Spoiler alert: Some of them still did.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Hayne has carried us for years and we have still won spoons it is now time to witness the true colors of the blue and gold.

Last edited:
Interestingly, in games we have won this year we've averaged an 84% completion rate (88/105), while in the games we've lost we've only averaged a 78% completion rate (138/178), suggesting that completion rates are critical to our success. And to think some of you merkins reckon you know better than Arthur.

Noise

Coach
Interestingly, in games we have won this year we've averaged an 84% completion rate (88/105), while in the games we've lost we've only averaged a 78% completion rate (138/178), suggesting that completion rates are critical to our success. And to think some of you merkins reckon you know better than Arthur.

Is the variance significant enough?

*I don't know shit about stats but for some reason a 2.5% variance rings a bell from my stats days at uni, which would indicate that it is....

And in all the games we've won this year we've had exactly 35 sets of six, suggesting that we should kick the ball away in future if the opposition tries to make us take a 36th.

Noise

Coach
And in all the games we've won this year we've had exactly 35 sets of six, suggesting that we should kick the ball away in future if the opposition tries to make us take a 36th.

Hmm...as soon as we touch it it would be our 36th set. We need to just walk off the field

Avenger

Immortal
Everyone was saying that Trent Robinson was the best coach to come here in years and he is now in charge of a side with a superior roster to ours who are also coming off 4 losses in a row. Are they questioning him? Same thing happened to Paul Green before he started his streak. It's just Arthur's turn now and I am confident he will eventually rise to the challenge.

My extensive perusal of all the facts and figures has also revealed that three of the top four teams this year have kicked exactly two field goals. This means that we should be aiming at kicking 0.28571429 field goals per game if we ever hope to match it with the top teams.