What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Brad Arthur deserve the hype?

Noise

Coach
While not doubting Arthur's ability, how in the hell is our defence still so bloody crap yet the dragons so bloody good. How do the dragons win 5 in a row, something we could only dream off - yet looking at their side on paper, there would be very few players in their side we would want in our side.

There is something wrong with our culture, we are so mentally piss weak !!!!!!

Agreed. Their coach is getting a lot out of them in regards to defence.

fair calll

I could give you reasons...but I doubt I could be bothered dealing with the fallout.

Also agree

BennyBoy

Juniors
While not doubting Arthur's ability, how in the hell is our defence still so bloody crap yet the dragons so bloody good. How do the dragons win 5 in a row, something we could only dream off - yet looking at their side on paper, there would be very few players in their side we would want in our side.

There is something wrong with our culture, we are so mentally piss weak !!!!!!
I was thinking the same while watching the game. McGregor has totally transformed that side, makes me envious.

Bigfella

Coach
One thing the dragons do have (especially with benji's return to form and fitness) is one of the better spines in the comp. that's a very good start.

Widdop and Dugan at club level are probably two of the most underrated players in the comp.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
One thing the dragons do have (especially with benji's return to form and fitness) is one of the better spines in the comp. that's a very good start.

Widdop and Dugan at club level are probably two of the most underrated players in the comp.

Yeah agree there spine is pretty good. But they still have trouble scoring compared to us, yet their defense is pretty bloody good which isn't just contributed to their spine.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the main problem with our defence is our ball control. Nobody drops the ball in their own half more than we do.

As for why we drop so much ball? I think patience is a problem. You see teams like the Dogs, they might only make five metres per carry on a set (or even a couple of sets in a row). Instead of panicking they just grind forward, take their measly gains, kick long and fire up their own defence.

But if we ever find ourselves in the situation where we're going nowhere we panic and start throwing stupid offloads or spreading the ball too soon. We drop the ball and don't even get to our kick and so our defence is under pressure straight away.

Noise

Coach
I think the main problem with our defence is our ball control. Nobody drops the ball in their own half more than we do.

As for why we drop so much ball? I think patience is a problem. You see teams like the Dogs, they might only make five metres per carry on a set (or even a couple of sets in a row). Instead of panicking they just grind forward, take their measly gains, kick long and fire up their own defence.

But if we ever find ourselves in the situation where we're going nowhere we panic and start throwing stupid offloads or spreading the ball too soon. We drop the ball and don't even get to our kick and so our defence is under pressure straight away.

Agreed. And it's been happening for years. You can see it, I'm sure the coaching staff can see it but nothing changes. What is it about our team that makes them panic and go for miracle plays and then give up in defence?

Parraren

Bench

Pou that is dead set spot on.

It's so frustrating to watch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. And it's been happening for years. You can see it, I'm sure the coaching staff can see it but nothing changes. What is it about our team that makes them panic and go for miracle plays and then give up in defence?

Parraball. That's what.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Yeah it is. Did you know the opposition have gotten to their kick more than us in every game this year? The only ones that came close were the Bunnies, who made one more kick than we did.

emjaycee

Coach
Pou has nailed it above - I sit next to (and am mates) with a bloke that played Reserve Grade for Nths and Manly in the 80's and we are forever discussing the fact that Parra seem to panic whenever they make a break regardless of the tackle. It's like "oh shit, I made 30 metres we better score of this play" so we then see stupid kicks, hail mary passes or just under 8's mistakes and turn the ball over.

Maybe that's what BA means when he talks about our shit completion rates.

Eelsman87

Juniors

x2.

I do think Foran goes a long way to fixing this. Our 5th tackle options have been rubbish, and our ability to build pressure is non existent. (Which is all similar to what pou has said)

Chipmunk

Coach
Parraball. That's what.

The "Parraball" theory has now gone through 4 coaches and none of them have been able to change it.

I find it laughable that coaches have tried to "negate the Parraball theory", yet one of those coaches procured Sandow, a player who is incapable of doing anything but propagating this theory...

Another coach is yet to coach an NRL match without the second biggest propagator of the "Parraball theory", Joseph Paulo...

As they say, you reap what you sew...

Off the top of my head I can't think of a game where we've completed our first set in both attack and defence in the same game. There is an error , a penalty, or both..every single week.

To start the 2nd half last week Joseph Paulo threw a 3 metre forward pass and gave away a penalty next set. The consequence for repeat offenders is a permanent spot as Arthur is big on continuity.

Bigfella

Coach
The issue coming out of our half is largely due to our weak outside backs.

The most frustrating thing I continually see on this forward is "don't pay money for wingers" and "they are only wingers".

We have a weak fullback, and with semi out, hopeless wingers and we have very poor quality centres even without injuries.

But those players are absolutely crucial to starting your sets off and then allowing your forwards to get over the advantage line.

Our recruitment people have never made it a priority at all.

We continue promote or extend very average wingers and centres.

With Hayne gone, the problem is even more glaring.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's true enough. There were plenty of sets in last nights game where both the Broncos and Dragons forwards made only one or two runs at the back end of the set.

Particularly the Broncos, who often had Vidot taking the first and third "hit up" in the set.

Both teams forwards end up doing a hell of lot less running when coming out of their own end, either with the ball or just getting back into the attacking line.

Leaves more energy for hitups in their own half, and more importantly for defence.

Semi is a huge loss for us in this regard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The "Parraball" theory has now gone through 4 coaches and none of them have been able to change it.

I find it laughable that coaches have tried to "negate the Parraball theory", yet one of those coaches procured Sandow, a player who is incapable of doing anything but propagating this theory...

Another coach is yet to coach an NRL match without the second biggest propagator of the "Parraball theory", Joseph Paulo...

As they say, you reap what you sew...

I think you're missing the point regarding Parraball. Or you're failing to see the distinction. Structuring your attack where most of the players play their roll, with only key decision makers 'playing what they see' is not the same as structuring your attack so that every merkin on the team has that freedom.

Noise

Coach
So what is it about our particular players that think they can all throw the ball around whenever they feel? How does this happen? Even Watmough is doing it and he's only been here for an offseason and 6 games....What the f**k causes 'Parraball'

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's definitely a lack of leadership somewhere in there, or in Watmough's case dumb leadership. Nobody likes to be told not to pass the ball, especially a senior leader like Watmough. And so while he does have a history of throwing some good passes, he also has thrown plenty of bad ones in his career - this was the case long before he joined Parra.

Arthur's singled him out in the presser last week so hopefully he's managed to put the brakes on him this week. Peats is the other one who threw a terrible pass that was intercepted for a try, but there's less concern about throwing risky passes close to the opposition line.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Id say the pass thrown by Peats was a result of our halves not wanting to take control in the opposition red zone. Am very much looking forward to having a half that takes responsibility.
Watching the Dragons last night I was so impressed the way they worked to get back into the defensive line once they had made a tackle. Generally tacklers 2 and 3 remain in place until tackler one has gotten to his feet and sprinted back into the line. Rarely were the dragons caught out at the play the ball with either a player left laying on the ground or poor positioning by the markers. Simple stuff but goodness they do it well. They peal out of the tackle with such control. Interesting how this can be coached into a team as quickly as it has.
This is opposed to Parras method which nearly always has tackle one left on the ground (Paulo) and markers not set for the next play. Why is this so? (To coin a well used phrase)

Latest posts