What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Brian Smith deserve The Chop?

Should Smith Go?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Only if we don't make the finals

• Total voters

Suitman

Post Whore
Sadly, a lot of people here will support Smithy because he wears the Blue and Gold, and will defend him till the day they die.
Thats great.
I'll still support Smithy next year, cause I know he will still be there, and what is the point in demanding his resignation or sacking now. It won't do any good cause it won't change.
But, if things don't improve by then, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually goes himself.
And by then, (8 years) I would expect that the heirachy at this club would deserve better than what has been dished up over the past two seasons.
If they are satisfied with the same result next year, then it might be about time the heirachy goes as well.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Parraen and Suity's comments on this page sum it up nicely for me.

I think getting the team up for big games has been a/the problem since gf 2001, but changes have been indicated for 2004 and these must have been based on some assessment of what the team/club is lacking. One more year of grace, we need to finish deep into the eight with realistic chance of going further, otherwise then I can see the major changes (coach/office etc)happening.

Misty, I don't give ALL the credit for the Warriors last two years to Daniel Anderson. I think it has something to do with the players' own confidence and attitude as well as his coaching. If all a team needs is a master motivator to get them up for a game, then every club would just hire someone to do that and that alone, and that aspect wouldbe a level playing field.

We may have 11 rep players on the books, but how many "current" (past twelve months) rep players did our 2003 side contain? By my count it's two (Lyon, Vaeliki), and that reversal in many players' form since 2001 is a realistic reflection of the team perfomance/results on the paddock. (Though I think Hindy deserves a UK tour spot as well.)

So let's not compare apples and oranges, that is 2001 with 2003, anymore. Let's analyse, hope, suggest and support so that 2004 can be the improvement that everyone wants it to be.

El Diablo

Post Whore
bartman said:
Parraen and Suity's comments on this page sum it up nicely for me.

I think getting the team up for big games has been a/the problem since gf 2001,

What about our two finals chokes in 97 and that game in 98?

Even in 99 we had a handy halftime lead and lost again.

He also couldn't get Saints up in 92 or 93 and in 93 they were probably favourites.

Didn't he lose a ESL GF as well?

Suitman

Post Whore
I think many of us are pacifists, and will continue to hang onto one last season of hope for Smithy.
As I have said many times on the Eels board, he is a hero of mine, and has been for many years now.
I say this because I listened to his words of deep thought on the ABC footy call for years with Peter Wilkins and the Wok.
It was just such fascinating radio.
There is no doubt Smithy is a deep thinker.
Whether he actually has the ability to put it into fruition is my only doubt.
And, until such time as he proves otherwise, I will continue to have doubt.

Come on Brian. You have the squad, the support team and the management team to acheive this. You also have the best fans in the League.
One more year. That will be 8. After that, I do not think you will be entitled to another.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, maybe a history of chokes... But 97-99 we hardly had the form up to claim any finals favouritism? We made the semis, and damn well hoped and expected for expected for something, and the end performances were disappointing. We weren't seriously doing anything but making up the numbers in the finals (like we would have been on this year's form).

But we were able to recover from those disappointing finishes in the years that followed, and undoubtedly the club improved up to the recent pinnacle of that 2001 year! This created the faith that Parra had what it takes (players, coach, club) to come back from adversity (the Newcastle choke) and still develop and progress toward a title.

Though since gf 2001, there has not been this sense of recovery, improvement, development and progression. There has been a sense of going backwards, with the exception of the minor turnaround in form of the second half of this year. Understandibly, that previous faith has somewhat eroded.

But I think Smith has a grand final win in him, as do the players that we have/had/will have. It's not only coaches that can choke, and I'd love for the players that experienced 2001 to turn it around for a gf win too. But I think if the club does not perfom to the high level that it can next year (top four finish, contenders in finals), then Smith and certain contracted players who haven't produced since 2001 will need (or be forced) to give the Eels away.

No one has been able to suggest any realistic coaching alternatives that would be better for Parra for 2004. So let's cheer for the club (players and Smith) to conquer the choking next year and take us all the way for a win, knowing that after missing this year's finals the planning and grooming of replacements for the 2005 big changes scenario will now be underway...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
the 1 person that needs to leave the club is fitzy.
for 10 yrs he didnt do nothing for parra and left us at the bottom and when we finally had to get good or die(superleague) he trys to merg the team with anyone who will have us :twisted: i think all the probs with parra start at the top,and the only way the club can go forward is to get rid of that prick.give smith 1 more yr and if we dont do any good with the players we got for next yr then the whole club needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.

what a crap yr we had.been following parra since 72 and this yr must be up there with 1 of the most disapointing of them all.

El Diablo

Post Whore
bartman said:
Yeah, maybe a history of chokes... But 97-99 we hardly had the form up to claim any finals favouritism?

Why not?

In 97 we came 3rd, in 98 we were 4th and had beaten Brisbane in the semis and in 99 we came 2nd and were favourites with sportsTAB in the finals series.

bartman

Immortal
El Duque said:
bartman said:
Yeah, maybe a history of chokes... But 97-99 we hardly had the form up to claim any finals favouritism?

Why not?

In 97 we came 3rd, in 98 we were 4th and had beaten Brisbane in the semis and in 99 we came 2nd and were favourites with sportsTAB in the finals series.

I dunno, I just felt that in those years didn't have the same sense of being "true contenders" as we had in 81-86, and 2001? I was just as wrapped up in it and hopeful, enjoyed the classy wins and expected better than the fianls results... Maybe that's what has soured my memories of our form in those years? Either that or the whole superleague atmosphere.

I felt there was a sense of "building up" in Smith's reign from some pretty dry years back to the high quality stuff in 2001. But it has gone pear shaped since, and needs another turn around and soon.

Eelectrica

Referee
Who'da thought when this was originally posted that Daniel Anderson would be gone from the Warriors while Smith remained. :?
Not much else has changed almost a year on :cry:

GAME FIRST

Juniors
Smithy has lost a fresh and winning touch!!

We have seen this for 2 and 1/2 years now --its too late he must step down- he has lost qualities essential in us winning a premiership-every team has injuries and more than us- and the way he has purchased players and let the wrong ones go -and his obsession with size and tactics and not on speed,skill and fitness shows he has lost the plot and is behind Stuart, Folkes, Bennett, Bellamy,Lang etc in being a peoples person and seeing the RIGHT trends in the way the game is played.

Redback71

First Grade
Of the current crop I would keep Lyon, Hindmarsh, Widders, Solomona, Morris and Cayless. Some of the other players are just not pulling their weight. The first players i'd cut are Vella, Moodie, Heckenburg, Dykes, Green, Crouch and Hodgson. These blokes are taking up huge chunks of the salary cap for little or no return.

If Parra could sign a guy like Dean Byrne, they could start rebuilding. Parra need to go on a spending spree and raid the premier league ranks of teams like St George, Cantrerbury and Canberra. All three have heaps of blokes who could step up and play first grade.

thing is half these guys are already gone

bartman

Immortal
Nice bump El Duque!

I think if the poll restarted fresh now, the ratios would be reversed.

Mine was a yes vote lodged in September 03, and it would no be a no. Standing by my posts, I said Smith needed one more year's grace to see if the changes he was planning would get us in "real" contention for the semis.

It's almost half-way through the season, we're not in real contention, and even if we get our form back with a hrad draw it's hard to see the team doing more than scraping into the eight?

So support him and the team this year, yes! But make sure there's moves behind the scenes to ensure there's some fresh coaching blood for season 2005 please....

Suitman

Post Whore
I also stated in this thread I would give him another season.

Sadly, It didn't even take half of it for me to change my mind.

The writing really was on the wall back then, probably even further back.

How long will it take before Denis or the board reads it?

Suity

Misty Bee

First Grade
I, of course, voted no.

Sadly, it has taken a year for most people tom come around to my way of thinking. I wonder if all this agitation had happened last year, and Smith was replaced, how high we'd be on the ladder now?