What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs on the take?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Article in todays paper

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...market-20100826-13uaa.html?rand=1282830751834

basically the gist is that there was a massive plunge on the Cowboys v Bulldogs first scoring play ... people were throwing big figures on cowboys penalty goal.

except
The plunge did not come off, but as it turned out, North Queensland did have the option of taking an easy shot at penalty goal to open the scoring after the Bulldogs were penalised in the second minute for not getting off the tackled player - Cowboys halfback Grant Rovelli - quickly enough.
The penalty was awarded just nine metres out, and in front of the posts, but the Cowboys elected to take a quick tap and scored a try out wide.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Where in the article are the Bulldogs accused? :?

RufusRex

Post Whore
no where - hence the use of a question mark and not an exclaimiation mark.

however - circumstantially there is a question being asked hence the investigation by the NRL into the betting plunge.

Danish

Referee
IN MY OWN OPINION this points much more to the refs than it does to the dogs.

The penalty (lying on the tackled man too long) is a fairly innocuous one which is often let go when a team is 10 out from the line.

Suck it for all the geese that put money down on it though

Paullyboy

Coach
To me it's very sus indeed (not necessarily at the Dogs, I actually think more at the Cows and at the last minute someone either got cold feet or they didn't have enough sway once it was time to make a decision).

Think about it for a second - it was two teams with nothing to play for other than pride. A penalty goal is never going to be taken in that situation. If the two competition points aren't important, the team will always go for the try. It'd be like betting on Melbourne's first points to be a penalty goal this season - never going to happen.

For several people to put that much money down on it, there would have had to have been someone involved in the game (either a kicker, captain or referee) who suggested they could make it happen. I think they probably realised how much sh*t they'd get into when it came to the crunch though and bailed.

Bman26

Juniors
just watched it then, never seen tandy work someone so much on the ground ever, and that play the ball was horrendous!

Apey

Staff member
This could get interesting.

Surely Tandy could have got off him much quicker..

Danish

Referee
I don't see how it can get much more interesting than it is...

The bets lost, and I'm fairly certain betting agencies have to keep their customers details confidential.

Would be interesting to be able to see who put up the cash though to see if they are connected to any player or official in any way.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Danish - if there is a sugestion of criminal fraud then records could be requested by the police i guess.

Doesnt matter that it didnt get paid out - if there is a suggestion that someone deliberately tried to "fix" a scoring play in an NRL game then it should be investigated.

BM-dog

Juniors
This could get interesting.

Surely Tandy could have got off him much quicker..
It was a bad tackle but I don't think it looked any dodgier than the zillion other tackles that attract penalties every season. God knows we've given away plenty of dumb holding-down penalties this year so this one isn't exceptional.

The whole thing does seem dodgy though - it's hard to believe that you'd get lots of money put on something so unlikely unless they had inside info. On the other hand, even if some scammers told Tandy to give away a penalty in front of the posts, why would they think the Cowboys would choose to take the 2 right at the start of a meaningless game?
*once you get to that point the whole thing starts seeming a bit far-fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danish

Referee
Danish - if there is a sugestion of criminal fraud then records could be requested by the police i guess.

Doesnt matter that it didnt get paid out - if there is a suggestion that someone deliberately tried to "fix" a scoring play in an NRL game then it should be investigated.

I realise that but I don't think a player making a couple terrible errors is enough to warrant criminal charges, so I can't see the records being released.

It looks suss as though.

cleary89

Coach
hahaha wow. i read the article and was like nothing will ever come out of it. But the play the ball was terrible, *

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts