What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphins vs Dolphin wannabes – the battle gains momentum

Jonotallica

Juniors
I lived at Redcliffe for 2 years about 6 years ago. The Dolphins are a fantastic QLD cup side, they have a great team and alot of members and a great junior development. I even played on Dolphin Oval in my junior league days. :lol:

But they are DREAMING if they think they will ever get into the NRL. I wish I was wrong, if Redcliffe got in somehow, I'd support them alot more then I do currently. Redcliffe have as much chance of getting into the NRL as any other QLD cup side, ZERO.

Look how hard it has been for Gold Coast to get in (for starters they arent even in yet), even if they are admitted it will have been a tough battle against Central Coast, and look what they had to work with in the first place.

I do think it's wrong that Gold Coast have stolen the Dolphins name, but since Redcliffe don't have a hope in hell of making into the NRL in the next 20 years.. it doesn't even matter. It's a non issue.

Jonotallica said:
I lived at Redcliffe for 2 years about 6 years ago. The Dolphins are a fantastic QLD cup side, they have a great team and alot of members and a great junior development. I even played on Dolphin Oval in my junior league days. :lol:

But they are DREAMING if they think they will ever get into the NRL. I wish I was wrong, if Redcliffe got in somehow, I'd support them alot more then I do currently. Redcliffe have as much chance of getting into the NRL as any other QLD cup side, ZERO.

Look how hard it has been for Gold Coast to get in (for starters they arent even in yet), even if they are admitted it will have been a tough battle against Central Coast, and look what they had to work with in the first place.

I do think it's wrong that Gold Coast have stolen the Dolphins name, but since Redcliffe don't have a hope in hell of making into the NRL in the next 20 years.. it doesn't even matter. It's a non issue.

It's not like Redcliffe would be trying to get in on their current budget. They would attract massive sponsorship and business links if they were to become the second Brisbane team.
As mentioned by someone, it would be like Port Adelaide in the AFL.

(A similar thing almost happened in Super League down here in Wollongong, Wests Illawarra, a sucessfull club with a big leagues club, were approached by Ribot to be the Wollongong SL team).

I support the Gold Coast bid, but I think they could of shown some more respect for the choice of name. And it's not like it would be hard to change seen as they don't even exist yet.

It's kinda like someone tells a friend when they have a kid it will be called "x" and then the friend goes out has a baby and calls it "x".

What's wrong with the Chargers?

Hass

Juniors
It isn't really fair to compare this situation to Australian Rules' Collingwood/Port situation.

Port Adelaide had to change their name because Collingwood, the most famous and one of the most traditional clubs in the league were also called the Magpies.

In this case Redcliffe's name would suffer as a result of a team starting from scratch using the name.

The Gold Coast Dolphins at the moment do not exist in a competition at the moment.

Wouldn't it be better for Rugby League in South Queensland if the biggest team in the QLD Cup were able to retain a fair dinkum hold on their nickname? Wouldn't it be good if the option for Redcliffe to enter the comp as "The Dolphins" was kept a possibility.

Come on, let's think about this logically. What's best for Redcliffe, what's best for the Gold Coast, and most importantly, what's best for football in Queensland.

Surely we can find another nickname for the proposed Gold Coast team.

Cheers.[/b]

Bomber

Bench
If an expansion franchise in 1995 had to change their mascot because a shoe company didn't like it (Perth Pumas --> Western Reds), then surely Redcliffe has every right to tell the Gold Coast to pick a different name.

I prefer the Gold Coast Pirates, but that's just me.

Hass

Juniors
How about the

"Gold Coast Ironmen"

With the Surf-Lifesaving inspired colours of Red, Gold and White (it is worth noting that Red and Gold are strangely not held by any team in the comp at the moment).

I think it would be quite fitting for a city that has its identity so closely linked to its wonderful beaches.

Cheers.

Anonymous

Juniors
Then it would have to be the 'Nutrigrain Gold Coast Ironmen' - and that might be a bit of a mouthful. ;-)

Hass said:
It isn't really fair to compare this situation to Australian Rules' Collingwood/Port situation.

Port Adelaide had to change their name because Collingwood, the most famous and one of the most traditional clubs in the league were also called the Magpies.

In this case Redcliffe's name would suffer as a result of a team starting from scratch using the name.

The Gold Coast Dolphins at the moment do not exist in a competition at the moment.

Wouldn't it be better for Rugby League in South Queensland if the biggest team in the QLD Cup were able to retain a fair dinkum hold on their nickname? Wouldn't it be good if the option for Redcliffe to enter the comp as "The Dolphins" was kept a possibility.

Come on, let's think about this logically. What's best for Redcliffe, what's best for the Gold Coast, and most importantly, what's best for football in Queensland.

Cheers.[/b]

I agree 100%.

Le Rouge

Juniors
Hass said:
How about the

"Gold Coast Ironmen"

With the Surf-Lifesaving inspired colours of Red, Gold and White (it is worth noting that Red and Gold are strangely not held by any team in the comp at the moment).

I think it would be quite fitting for a city that has its identity so closely linked to its wonderful beaches.

Cheers.

That name makes some sense.

It wouldn't really be a great start for the GC Dolphins, to be sued, and not having a home ground for a season while cararra is redone.

The First year in exsistance would be critical for a new team and you'd want it to go well.

Le Rouge said:
Hass said:
How about the

"Gold Coast Ironmen"

Cheers.

That name makes some sense.

It wouldn't really be a great start for the GC Dolphins, to be sued, and not having a home ground for a season while cararra is redone.

The First year in exsistance would be critical for a new team and you'd want it to go well.

They will be playing at Cararra. Work will be done in off-seasons (two stages). Even if there is still some work to be done during a few home games, only part of the ground would be off limits to spectators.

Le Rouge

Juniors
In the interview with some guy from the Dolphins (I think it was Michael Searl)that was on the frotpage of LU, he said the re-development will not be completed untill 2007.

A 16th team is due for 2006

Redback71

First Grade
the thing is the people picked the name not the officals its the most popular name amongst the gold coast fans and whose to say some people from redcliff did not select the dolphins as there mascot

Knightmare

Coach
Why not Gold Coast Marlins? I think it was pretty cheeky taking that name from an established side like Redcliffe- actually, all together, I haven't liked the attitude of the people supporting the Gold Cast bid- they've come from nowhere and are acting like they've been crying out for a tam for the past 10 years. No doubt they deserve ANOTHER chance- but not before certain other teams get a FIRST chance!

Pigskin

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Hass said:

Cheers.[/b]

I agree 100%.

exactly right

GC just asking for enemies - its just common decency

Redcliffe would be a strong bid for NRL promotion in the not too distant future

Oink !

yakstorm

First Grade
Just to clarify the points, the Picton and Wentworthville Magpies both came after Western Suburbs which was formed in 1908. Now whilst the team wasn't officially called the Magpies till a little bit later, thee are references to them being Magpies in League publications as far back as 1911 (still before the other two sides) though it didn't become official till later, the nickname was still there. That said if anyone, it would of been Wests who had the right to complain about Picton and Wentworthville's choice of names.

In regards to the Gold Coast Dolphins, there will be really little Redcliffe can do to stop it, its like the NZ All Blacks can't stop New Earswick calling themselves that (as much as they wish) and how no NFL clubs have look at legal action in regards to NRL clubs (Broncos, Cowboys) as Mascot names by themselves cannot be trademarked. You can trademark the logo design, the font/design the name is put in and the colours associated with it, but considering the ones put forward by the GC Dolphins and the ones used by Redcliffe are quite different, it would be hard to say the GC Dolphins are capitalising on Redcliffe's market or being deceptive.

That said, a degree of comon decency could of been used, and Redcliffe could of been approached prior to the announcement to get their blessing, or something else considered first by the GC which would of solved a number of these issues.

DIEHARD

----
It is a damn shame this had to happen, but Redcliffe just can't lockdown the best possible name for a Gold Coast team and sit there and twiddle their thumbs. They had a decade to signal their intention to join the NRL and didn't. The people voted and they wanted the GOLD COAST DOLPHINS.

It is a shame about how it was handled and as Yakstorm says.

yakstorm said:
That said, a degree of comon decency could of been used, and Redcliffe could of been approached prior to the announcement to get their blessing, or something else considered first by the GC which would of solved a number of these issues.

It is a shame but as someone said "YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE!" :D

Someone suggested the Pirates? Well I wouldn't like people calling my team the "Butt Pirates". Ironmen is just pathetic. Dolphins or Gladiators in my mind.

Go the Dolphins!

greeneyed

First Grade
The Redcliffe side will never ever get into the NRL as a standalone entity. If a number of the strong Brisbane clubs got together to support a second Brisbane franchise, then they might have had a chance. Some of the clubs are very successful and their Leagues Clubs operations are also very successful. But none of them have a chance alone....

The other option would be that an existing NRL club decides to merge with one of the Brisbane clubs and they merge.

This would have been a more sensible option for Balmain, than merging with Wests... they could have merged with Brisbane Easts... which also has ambitions to move into NRL - with both clubs called "the Tigers" already.

Latest posts