What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphins vs Dolphin wannabes – the battle gains momentum

miccle

Bench
Fair enough with Redcliffe being upset, but tough ****. Redcliffe are at least 20 years away from being in the NRL, and even then it would be more of a Sunshine Coast combined team than Redcliffe. Easts Tigers are a very strong club too guys and girls - are they gonna chuck a shit at wests tigers for having their name? What about the Wests Panthers in the QRL? First in, best dressed. Bring on the Gold Coast.

ozbash

Referee
its like the NZ All Blacks can't stop New Earswick calling themselves that (as much as they wish)

wrong there yak, the AB,s is a registered tradename which cant be copied.

the whole issue over the G/C team is crap.
the north sydney bears should be re-admitted in their own right.
not create a new/old/washed up/abandoned sydney team that has no place in the comp.

redcliffe have the history/tradition behind their name to be rightly pissed off.

the sounds of laughter from nz will deafen you sydneycentric stooges when the WELLINGTON ORCAS get chosen. :p

yakstorm

First Grade
ozbash said:
wrong there yak, the AB,s is a registered tradename which cant be copied.

Hmm that then gets confusing as to how many different League and Union sides around the world can still call themselves the All Blacks, and the NZRU hasn't been able to make them change their name, only recommend it.

Examples:
- Neath All Blacks (RU)
- New Earswick All Blacks (RL)
- Redfern All Blacks (RL)
- Gosford All Blacks (RU)
- Launceston All Blacks (RU)
The list could go on and on, and out of all of them except for Neath, the NZ side was called the All Blacks first.

mightybears

Bench
the issue is about that redcliffe and the gold coast will be in the same market [for sponsors/football fans/coverage etc]

for example:
if the afl ever moved the western bulldogs to western sydney they'd have to change the "bulldogs" tag as canterbury are in the western sydney market and are called the bulldogs
it doesn't matter legally that they are different codes

the football kingz of the old nsl , wanted to be the "kings" but the sydney kings basketball team made them use the word football and an extra "Z"

the all black wouldn't "go" the teams mentioned as no one would confused who the media is talking about when they refer to the "all blacks"
and they'd look like bullies

imasharkie

Coach
The Gold Coast has every right to call themselves the Dolphins after all they are based on the Goldy not in Brisbane and the fans who will support the GC by going to their games voted for the name. Who cares about a neville nobody club based in Brisbane going nowhere who think they are going to be a force in the NRL.

Baahaaaaaaaa.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
imasharkie said:
The Gold Coast has every right to call themselves the Dolphins after all they are based on the Goldy not in Brisbane and the fans who will support the GC by going to their games voted for the name. Who cares about a neville nobody club based in Brisbane going nowhere who think they are going to be a force in the NRL.

Baahaaaaaaaa.

Is the rumour true you chose imasharkie as your nickname because imawanker was already taken?

Parra_Eels

Bench
um redcliffe have f**king ages til they get in the nrl. fair dinkum if they wanted to be in the nrl they should have bloody said it. coincidental that after gc is called dolphins they then come out and say they wanna be in the nrl. also as i have previously said - you need to upgrade dolphin oval a shitload.

ozbash

Referee
Examples:
- Neath All Blacks (RU)
- New Earswick All Blacks (RL)
- Redfern All Blacks (RL)
- Gosford All Blacks (RU)
- Launceston All Blacks (RU)

your examples are more than likely right, but with permission.there was a stink about the Neath All Blacks if i remember.

its a bit like opening a corner dairy and calling it "Harrods" .
they would not be amused.

anyways.... :p

mightybears

Bench
parra eels,
redcliffe and the easts tigers have been on about the nrl for a few years now
queensland media has different stories to nsw

bender

Juniors
Parra_Eels said:
um redcliffe have f***ing ages til they get in the nrl. fair dinkum if they wanted to be in the nrl they should have bloody said it. coincidental that after gc is called dolphins they then come out and say they wanna be in the nrl. also as i have previously said - you need to upgrade dolphin oval a shitload.

Unlike Sydney Clubs, Queensland clubs actually care about their tradition and their local roots. For Sydney clubs, who think nothing about moving games out to Cambelltown, or from Redfern to SFS, or Jubilee to SFS, or wherever the Roosters home games used to be to SFS, or from Belmore to the Showgrounds or Aussie stadium or from North Sydney oval to the Central Coast or wherever else sydney teams seem to continuously relocate to. Redcliffe want to play in the NRL but not before they are ready. They could change their name to Brisbane Dolphins and play out of lang park, but then they wouldnt be the Redcliffe Dolphins. Redcliffe they area is growing quickly, but not as fast as the Gold Coast. The area is not ready for an NRL side yet, so they have done the responsible thing and not made a bid. In no way should they be penalised for this. In 5, 10, 20 or even 50 years, this could change. When it does, there would be regret that the NRL had allowed the Gold Coast to use the Dolphins name. In any case, Redcliffe should not be penalised for doing the right thing and not jumping in.

The Dolphins name may have been chosen by GC now, and it is a good thing, but I think the Dolphins emblem could easily fall by the wayside once the side gets the green light and they could use the pubicity of a successful bid to launch a new naming campain and to get the public of the gold coast right behind the club.

Eelectrica

Referee
mightybears said:
the issue is about that redcliffe and the gold coast will be in the same market [for sponsors/football fans/coverage etc]

Redcliffe is north of Brisbane, the Gold coast is about an hour south of Brisbane, therefore they are NOT in the same market.

At one stage in New Yorks sporting history the the New york "football" Giants coexisted with the New York "Baseball" giants without any trademark litigation. The baseball team has since moved on, but to this day the New york giants answer the phone to the New York Football giants.

I notice that the Burliegh Bears are playing Redcliffe this weekend, if Redcliffe wasn't so damn far away I'd wear a GC Dolphins jersey and cheer on Burleigh.

DIEHARD

----
Eelectrica said:
I notice that the Burliegh Bears are playing Redcliffe this weekend, if Redcliffe wasn't so damn far away I'd wear a GC Dolphins jersey and cheer on Burleigh.

That is a good idea. I might do that and see what happens. :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
Redcliffe is north of Brisbane, the Gold coast is about an hour south of Brisbane, therefore they are NOT in the same market.

So, that old NSW-10, QLD-2 Chestnut is invalid by that logic...

Big-Steve

Juniors
bender said:
Parra_Eels said:
um redcliffe have f***ing ages til they get in the nrl. fair dinkum if they wanted to be in the nrl they should have bloody said it. coincidental that after gc is called dolphins they then come out and say they wanna be in the nrl. also as i have previously said - you need to upgrade dolphin oval a shitload.

Unlike Sydney Clubs, Queensland clubs actually care about their tradition and their local roots. For Sydney clubs, who think nothing about moving games out to Cambelltown, or from Redfern to SFS, or Jubilee to SFS, or wherever the Roosters home games used to be to SFS, or from Belmore to the Showgrounds or Aussie stadium or from North Sydney oval to the Central Coast or wherever else sydney teams seem to continuously relocate to. Redcliffe want to play in the NRL but not before they are ready. They could change their name to Brisbane Dolphins and play out of lang park, but then they wouldnt be the Redcliffe Dolphins. Redcliffe they area is growing quickly, but not as fast as the Gold Coast. The area is not ready for an NRL side yet, so they have done the responsible thing and not made a bid. In no way should they be penalised for this. In 5, 10, 20 or even 50 years, this could change. When it does, there would be regret that the NRL had allowed the Gold Coast to use the Dolphins name. In any case, Redcliffe should not be penalised for doing the right thing and not jumping in.

The Dolphins name may have been chosen by GC now, and it is a good thing, but I think the Dolphins emblem could easily fall by the wayside once the side gets the green light and they could use the pubicity of a successful bid to launch a new naming campain and to get the public of the gold coast right behind the club.

Mate don't let NSW V Qld rivalry cloud this issue. Bears people fully understand where Redcliffe is coming from.

I'm pretty much insulted by your accusations that Norths don't care as much about tradition - The Central Coast Bears is what this is all about and great Bears payers of the past such as Gary Larson and Greg Florimo are behind it. Have a look at my website I've included a link to your petition, how much more "understanding" do you want from me? Traditional Sydney supporters are not your enemy the non-traditionalists are your problem.

The Original Eye said:
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
pffft

The Picton Magpies weren't that far from Lidcombe.

Neither were the Wentworthville Magpies. It's been happening for decades. And how long have the Redcliffe Dolphins had their nickname and did they pinch it from Miami...

You're trying to compare some no-name Sydney team with one of the proudest and most famous rugby league clubs in the world ?

PFFFFFT.

Maybe you should have read my post in context instead of shooting from the hip.

And Wentworthville were, on more than one occasion, very close to being in the main competition.

Eelectrica

Referee
t-ba the hutt said:
Eelectrica said:

Two completely different topics not in any way inter-related. One relates to marketing and the other is the dis-proportion of teams in a supposed NATIONAL Rugby league competition.

bender

Juniors
Big-Steve said:
bender said:
Parra_Eels said:

Mate don't let NSW V Qld rivalry cloud this issue. Bears people fully understand where Redcliffe is coming from.

I'm pretty much insulted by your accusations that Norths don't care as much about tradition - The Central Coast Bears is what this is all about and great Bears payers of the past such as Gary Larson and Greg Florimo are behind it. Have a look at my website I've included a link to your petition, how much more "understanding" do you want from me? Traditional Sydney supporters are not your enemy the non-traditionalists are your problem.

The insinuation wasnt so much against Just Norths, but Sydney in general. Okay, I will admit that most of it was just to respond to the ridiculous comment by Parraeel. But, what you need to understand is that Redcliffe, like Wests, Norths, Valleys etc used to be part of a competition that was far more popular than the NRL (in Qld), now they are part of a competition that is probably far closer to the Sydney Premier league or whatever it is that Norths play in now. This has not killed off these clubs, it has actually threatened them. In this regard, I see no reason why Norths (or Balmain, Illawarra etc) cannot be happy with this. Sure, they dont have the TV coverage, high class of players or the casual fans that they used to have, but they are still a club and they still mean an awful lot to the diehards that follow them. I cant believe that those diehards would prefer to travel 100km (or however far that is) to watch the side play than they would to see them play at their home ground in North Sydney.

Now i used to quite like North Sydney (so far as Sydney clubs go) and i think it is was a good idea to improve the club by moving to the central coast. The fact that this didnt work out through bad luck and bad management was regretable. Personally i thought they had more to offer than Souths or even a side like Cronulla or Canterbury, becasue of that Geographic location but they failed, and they have no more right to entry than any other team now. If Norths really are as passionate and tradionalist as you say and if the Central Caost really was the Hardcore league heartland they are supposed to be, They would do a Redcliffe and play the bears in the local comp and bide their time until the NRL is ready for them. They could get a good local following at Premier league level, wooing local fans and promoting rl like mad on the coast, just like Redcliffe have done. When they have proved themselves at this level, and when the area is ready to support a team, they could make it in. AT the moment they are so far behind Gold Coast in terms of importance to the game that it isnt funny. And to be perfectly honest, if Wellington had the financial backing that they have I would also put them behind Wellington. That is not to say that CC/Bears dont have any merit because they do, in fact they are probably more desirable than 3 or 4 sydney teams, but unfortunately for them, no one is going to axe those Sydney teams because of the likely backlash.

If the NRL are serious there best hope lies in a decision to increase the teams by at least 2 and maybe 3 (Would that be enough)?

t-ba

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
t-ba the hutt said:
Eelectrica said:

Two completely different topics not in any way inter-related. One relates to marketing and the other is the dis-proportion of teams in a supposed NATIONAL Rugby league competition.

Oh but they are. How can The CC Bid be considered in the same market as the NSW clubs since they are an hour away from The Sydney Clubs and Newcastle?

Marketing, The Allocation of clubs, it all ties in. The GC bid should have chosen a name not associated with one of the Worlds great Rugby League clubs.

_Johnsy

Referee
It sounds a bit too much like chip on the shouldr stuff to me. I was not aware that redcliffe had the sole rights to use the dolphin name for a rl side in australia. I think you will find that the quandamooka dolphins were the first rl side in aus to use a dolphin in 305 BC and I dont here them kicking up a stink ??

Latest posts