What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

<.....> Dolphins?

All their income and assets won't mean a thing if they can't attract a significant fan base. They'll just be a husk of a club that continues to exist off their riches but nobody cares about, like a lot of RU clubs around the world.

And you mean like how the Seagulls rebranded from Tweed Heads to the Gold Coast. How'd that workout for them...
The reality is that as long as they are running out as the Dolphins people will associate them with Redcliffe and all the other history that is associated with the Dolphins brand, just like people on the Gold Coast associated the Seagulls with Tweed Heads and all their history.
Weren't the Gold Cost Seagulls originally the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants, based in Tweed Heads?

Dolphins have been sited in the Brisbane River all the way up to Victoria bridge. Actually saw some from my office once.
I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change the fact people are more likely to encounter a bullshark in SEQ's waterways and canals. To get an idea of just how common bullsharks are in SEQ, billabongs within Logan and Brisbane that were temporarily connected to the Logan and Brisbane Rivers during floods now have populations living within them. A golf course in Logan has bullsharks living in it and breeding.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Weren't the Gold Cost Seagulls originally the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants, based in Tweed Heads?
The Giants were an independent club that the Tweed Heads Seagulls bought.

It's complicated and I'm simplifying it a bit, but initially the Giants were a bid headed by John Sattler that was bidding for the Brisbane license. Obviously they didn't win that license, but the NSWRL offered them a GC license to even the number of teams in the competition. Because of the exclusivity deal that the Broncos negotiated with the NSWRL the team couldn't be based in Qld, hence why they were based at Tweed Heads, however that exclusivity deal ran out early into the Seagulls tenure of the club (i.e. the Seagulls could have relocated the club to the GC proper).

The Giants were a shitshow that were broke before they had even really started, and it became pretty obvious that they never should have been given the license in the first place, Sattler even admitted as much in his book.

After some convincing from the NSWRL the the Tweed Heads Seagulls were convinced to initially become the Giants major sponsor, and then buy the Giants, at which point the Seagulls rebranded the team to the GC Seagulls. In other words they rebranded to their historic brand while still trying to incorporate the GC as well. They even introduced one new colour to their scheme in a tokenistic gesture like the Dolphins are planning to do (I told you the similarities were striking).

All the same arguments that people make for the Dolphins were made for the Seagulls; 'they have a rich leagues club' (one of the biggest at the time), 'they own their own ground', 'they have a "historic" brand with a strong support base', 'a strong juniors nursery', etc, etc. But all of it was meaningless because Tweed Heads (and northern NSW) wasn't big enough to support the club independently, and the people from the GC refused to support the Seagulls, whom they still viewed as Tweed Heads and didn't really like, or travel down to Tweed Heads for the privilege to do it.

If the Gold Coast club was going to work it needed a well run club with a brand that could truly represent all the Coast (i.e. a neutral brand), and they needed to be based out of Carrara Oval (i.e. in the heart of the GC).
Low and behold once the Chargers took over and relocated to Carrara it was working, until SL ruined it, but you get my point.

The Great Dane

First Grade
How about Brisbane River Dolphins?
I've been thinking about an alternative brand for the Dolphins for a while now.

So I thought about it and decide it needs to fit a few parameters; firstly it needs to maintain an aquatic animal theme, secondly it needs to make sense for the Brisbane market, thirdly it needs to be unique in major professional sports, and most importantly it needs to be at least as marketable as a Dolphins brand.

Anyway after some further thought I cam up with a bunch of ideas but, IMO, one stood out- the Sawfish.

Sawfish are charismatic, and badass, aquatic animals, that no other major sporting franchise that I know of is using as their mascot.

They used to be common in the Brisbane river until as recently as in the 50s, however due to habitat destruction, over fishing, and pollution they've seemly gone extinct in the Brisbane river (the odd unconfirmed sighting in the Brisbane River still pop up from time to time). That opens up massive marketing opportunities by getting involved with, and helping to raise money for, conservationist that are trying to grow sawfish populations in Australian waters.

Use a logo that looks something like this-
sawfish-86296750.jpg

Call them the Brisbane Sawfish, and Bob's your uncle you've got the makings of a brand that is just as marketable as Dolphins, but isn't going to alienate people like the Dolphins inevitably would.

So I thought about it and decide it needs to fit a few parameters; firstly it needs to maintain an aquatic animal theme, secondly it needs to make sense for the Brisbane market, thirdly it needs to be unique in major professional sports, and most importantly it needs to be at least as marketable as a Dolphins brand.

Anyway after some further thought I cam up with a bunch of ideas but, IMO, one stood out- the Sawfish.

Sawfish are charismatic, and badass, aquatic animals, that no other major sporting franchise that I know of is using as their mascot.

They used to be common in the Brisbane river until as recently as in the 50s, however due to habitat destruction, over fishing, and pollution they've seemly gone extinct in the Brisbane river (the odd unconfirmed sighting in the Brisbane River still pop up from time to time). That opens up massive marketing opportunities by getting involved with, and helping to raise money for, conservationist that are trying to grow sawfish populations in Australian waters.

sawfish-86296750.jpg

Call them the Brisbane Sawfish, and Bob's your uncle you've got the makings of a brand that is just as marketable as Dolphins, but isn't going to alienate people like the Dolphins inevitably would.
What about Dugongs? They live in Moreton Bay.

Santino Patane

Juniors

sawfish-86296750.jpg

Love the idea and would be definitely heaps cooler! It’s a shame these kind of ideas never get going with the movers and shakers though...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A bit of a different one, but...

STANLEY DOLPHINS

Rather than picking a name, used by any of the current governments, what if we go the "St George" route and pick a historic name.

800px-Queensland_cadastral_divisions_1901.png

(The county map of QLD from 1901)

It covers all of the Greater Brisbane region all the way up to Redcliffe without using "Brisbane _____" again. I figure it is like "South Queensland ______" but with a bit more character and history.

"Stanley" doesnt need to be a widely recognised name now. It would be fairly easy to build awareness of the meaning behind the name.

Stanley Dolphins 2023!!!!!

A bit of a different one, but...

STANLEY DOLPHINS

Rather than picking a name, used by any of the current governments, what if we go the "St George" route and pick a historic name.

800px-Queensland_cadastral_divisions_1901.png

(The county map of QLD from 1901)

It covers all of the Greater Brisbane region all the way up to Redcliffe without using "Brisbane _____" again. I figure it is like "South Queensland ______" but with a bit more character and history.

"Stanley" doesnt need to be a widely recognised name now. It would be fairly easy to build awareness of the meaning behind the name.

Stanley Dolphins 2023!!!!!
The Stanley Dolphins, sponsored by Stanley Tools

https://www.stanleytools.com/explore/product-stories/safety-knives

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane's "Bayside Dolphins"

I know bayside is more east city to beach but if they're looking to branch out the appeal, the word "Bayside" does have a nice ring to it

MugaB

Coach
Theres an article on courier mail yesterday regarding Abdo flying upto QLD to meet with the Dolphins bid, does anyone have access or news about it?

toomuchsoup

Juniors
F8510AD4-78EC-42A3-9E8B-5CADF4F31634.jpeg I really liked this Catalans Dragons 2016 kit. They’ve since had fairly average jerseys, but this one was very simple but bold. I liked the use of gold as the central colour through the range even though it’s not the main colour of each seperate kit.

I think the Dolphins could do something similar but maybe use a sand/beige/faded gold rather than the dark gold on the Catalans range. ‘Classy’ and ‘unique’ come to mind

I’ve noticed the Dolphins have previously used V type jerseys and are also red, which is obviously stepping on the Dragons toes. Making sure none of the actual Vs are red would be enough to make a clear difference between the 2, not just jersey clash wise, but overall identity of each club. Here’s a quick mock-up of what I have in mind.

31E0C3C2-0430-463A-BAD2-4F6F164916B3.jpeg

If the Dolphins do get to join the comp, I think what their name is depends on the future plans of the NRL. Say the plan is for the Brisbane Jets to come in a few years later, you wouldn’t want 3 ‘Brisbane________’ teams. If that’s the case then they should go with ‘East Coast Dolphins’. But if the Dolphins are going to be the only new team, then just ‘Brisbane Dolphins’ would be a more suitable name