<.....> Dolphins?

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by Brutus the Bulldog, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

Yeah I looked at maps but didn’t know boundaries.

2. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

Cheers and yeah, Red black n silver would be a cracking combo. But as their “tradition” is the red n white, dunno if they’d go that route.

3. MugaB

MugaB Juniors

Traditional colors means squat if they are going to be a new SEQ based team,
    When penrith started they chose brown and white, as their colors of blue, black, white had already been used by the sharks, redcliffe can be the more dominant with its colors, but if you wanna be "sunshine state" you have to be more than just red and white.
    I would go Red, Gold, Silver, and white
    Mainly Red and Gold, this would seperate the stigma of redcliffe colors
    A bit like WESTS tigers with their use of orange, generally paying in a more magpies home jersey

4. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Maybe something like this but with silver instead of gold 5501236496_7e47616276.jpg

5. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

I think that's a pretty good chance.. maybe even red with black V and silver trim... but red, black & silver seem a pretty good bet.

There's lots of appealing combinations of those 3 colours, home mostly red - alternate mostly silver or mostly black.

6. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

It's amazing to me that somehow RL manages to make the same mistakes over and over.

By even contemplating the Dolphins bid at all we are making all the major mistakes (with one exception) that the NSWRL made with the Gold Coast Seagulls, and look how that turned out.

7. Brutus the Bulldog

Brutus the Bulldog Juniors

I hate the idea of adding grey “silver” to the red and white.

this is a shirt they are selling that’s part of their “NRL Bid Merchandise”, it”s not quite a jersey however I really like the colour combination they’ve gone for with the red, white, gold and black, I think a Jersey with the same colour scheme would also look great. Similar to the Reds jersey above but gold instead of yellow and not quite as bright.

D81D1F25-A4D1-42C0-8455-224B742AFE50.jpeg

683EB70B-E3FA-4D98-8295-3AC25682D3BD.jpeg

8. Santino Patane

Santino Patane Juniors

Read my last post- Moreton Bay is a physical location that stretches from Bribie Island in the North to South Stradbroke Island in the south. It encompasses 4 LGA’s (Gold Coast, Redland, Brisbane and Moreton), not just the newer council that was formally Pine Rivers and Caboolture prior to 2009. Also, the SEQ LGA’s west of the above four (eg Scenic Rim, Ipswich, Lockyer etc) are a defined region called “West Moreton”. So “Moreton Bay” doesn’t just represent the outer northern suburbs- try telling that to the locals especially on North Straddie and you will hear some push back....

9. Santino Patane

Santino Patane Juniors

Problem is, South Queensland isn’t a defined term that anyone uses outside of the Crushers. The area is usually South East Queensland, or other regions (eg Darling Downs). North Queensland has always been a region that people and government use, but the opposite hasn’t.

10. MugaB

MugaB Juniors

This type of gold is usually called "Old Gold" its been used for a few NFL teams, like SF 49ers, and New Orleans Saints, its a great way to seperate from all the other teams who use yellow as a 3rd strip or trim, I've seen Gazf designs for the WA pirates a few years ago, with this same old gold color with red and black, looks great, although im not a fan of the dolphins associated with black, i feel Red, Gold and white is the way to go, San Francisco 49s colors.

if Perth ever got the Pirates bid, the Black, with DarkGold/Orange and Red, similar to the Tampa Bay Bucceneers would suit them better than the dolphins

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    toomuchsoup likes this.
  11. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Camsmith Dolphins

12. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Quarter Radius Dolphins

13. Dragonwest

Dragonwest Juniors

Looks like the Pirates might need to be looking for new colours if they want admission.now

14. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

hahah yeh them shorts are very west coast lol.
    Sadly looking at the weird and wonderful sg ball Pirates jerseys of last few years, if we ever get a club, I can see them being like Titans and constantly messing with the kit and colours rather than creating a strong iconic brand from day one.

15. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Bench

16. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Juniors

The problem with the Seagulls is they played their games in Tweed Heads, (NSW) despite being called Gold Coast (Queensland). Tweed Heads has a tiny population.

What hurt the Seagulls was the introduction of pokies in Queensland by Wayne Goss. Before that date the oldies from Gold Coast would travel across the border to play the pokies at Seagulls Leagues Club. That ended when they finally had pokies on the Gold Coast and it sent Seagulls broke.

flippikat likes this.
  17. toomuchsoup

toomuchsoup Juniors

I’d make red the main colour with touches of white and gold. Making the majority of the kit red would not really clash with the Dragons. The white with red V vs a red strip would not clash at all

Get Rid of The Donkeys and MugaB like this.
  18. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

Yeah like I said all the same mistakes that would be repeated in Redcliffe.

They'd be a team based on the outskirts of a market that only represent it in name only, that's actual audience isn't big enough to support a team, and that only has the license because they have a rich leagues club that everybody assumes will be able to support the club for an extended peirod even if it's a failing business.

The only differences are that, unlike the Seagulls, the Dolphins seem to at least be smart enough not to insist on playing in their stadium that's out of the way and not suitable to support a professional team, and they're unlikely to be effected by sudden changes in pokie laws that suddenly send them broke, which probably means they'll be able to support the NRL side significantly longer. But aside from that those those things the resemblance is striking.

19. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Juniors

You make some good points. One thing in Redcliffe's favour is they have a stadium that I presume is making them money from deals with the Brisbane Roar. I think if they're serious about making a fist of this they'll need to rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins at all levels and try to build a fanbase from Moreton Bay Region through Redlands.

20. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

All their income and assets won't mean a thing if they can't attract a significant fan base. They'll just be a husk of a club that continues to exist off their riches but nobody cares about, like a lot of RU clubs around the world.

And you mean like how the Seagulls rebranded from Tweed Heads to the Gold Coast. How'd that workout for them...
    The reality is that as long as they are running out as the Dolphins people will associate them with Redcliffe and all the other history that is associated with the Dolphins brand, just like people on the Gold Coast associated the Seagulls with Tweed Heads and all their history.