What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dont be too discouraged if you read this thread

philstorm

Juniors
icewind said:
this israel guy is being talked up as being another inglis. if so im happy even just as a qld supporter.

In all honesty, he's better than Inglis at the same age.

caylo

Bench
Billy Slater 22 Jaryd hayne 18
Greg Inglis 19 Timana Tahu 25
Matt King 26 Eric Grothe 26
Cooper Cronk 22 Tim Smith 22
Ryan Hoffman 22 Nathan Hindmarsh 27
Antonio Kaufusi 21 Nathan Cayless 28
Adam Blair 20 Justin Tsulous 21
Garrett Crossman 23 Zeb Taia 19
Brent White 25 Fuifui Moimoi 25
Cameron Smith 23 PJ Marsh 24
Dallas Johnson 23 Chad Robenson 26
Mick Crocker 26 josh Cordoba 22?? (very young still)
Anthony Quinn 23 Ben Smith 21

And a superstar-in-waiting in Israel Folau 17.

plus super-stars in the waiting like Inu, Mateo, Green, David Willians, Oak, Weller. H, Reddy, Josh David. Although our squad is a lil older than urz in general... trhey are still preety young, and at the prime age. Melbourne has a great squad, but dont kid yourself, their are alot of class acts in the NRL, teams like the dragons, Broncos, Dogs, Parramatta, Manly all have fairly strong squads across the park. remember manly are getting jamie lyon who although i hate what he did to my club, you can not forget how good he was... guys like tate, hodges, tahu, grothe, hayne, gasnier, cooper, bell, tonga, all realy good outside backs, and inglus may be a freak, but they will all trouble teams, just like inglus does. then guys like inu, boyd coming through aswell... there is a wealth of talent in the nrl... dont go counting ur eggs just yet

axl rose

Bench
After Brisbane won in 92 they said they would do a st george and win 11 in a row. They won 1 after that and then had to start super league to win another. Players change, injuries occur. If they win one they should be happy.

smeghead

Bench
Be mindfull also that of recent years the change in the way oficials officiate the game has been distinctly set up to disadvantage the defending premiers. IF the Storm are victorious you can bank on a few interpretation changes to screw you hard

Angry_eel

First Grade
The star squad means nothing if they aren't on the field. Allmost all teams have exciting talent and a consistent good squad(with extra players and JT even souths) . The only thing in Melbourne's favour is less pressure, less expectations from fans and no knives come out if you have a lean year.

caylo

Bench
and to be honest, is it just me or do melbourne have a weaker pack than what it is made out to be. your forwards are all young, and the only real old head is crocker. White and kafusi are desent players but i dont see them as real dominating players. you guys have a great backrow but all work horses, althogh i do rate hoffman i realy think he is a good youn player. i just think manly with players liek watmough, menzies, kite, broncos with civanoceva, thiday, parker, stagg, parramatta with cayless, hindmarsh, moimoi, and robenson, dogs with the big boppers they have etc... these teams can realy dominate melbournes pack on any day. i do think brizzy will win the gf on the back of their forward pack. i honestly think it could be a real thrashing if they get going... i may be wrong and have under estimated the melbourne pack... but wow their are alot of strong pack in the comp

t-ba

Post Whore
If ever there was an argument that there wasn't the playing talent to support another SEQLD side after the Titans...This Storm related argument would show just how wrong you are. Logan, in particular Marsden State high is a virtual production line of talented players.

Ice777

Bench
caylo said:
and to be honest, is it just me or do melbourne have a weaker pack than what it is made out to be. your forwards are all young, and the only real old head is crocker. White and kafusi are desent players but i dont see them as real dominating players. you guys have a great backrow but all work horses, althogh i do rate hoffman i realy think he is a good youn player. i just think manly with players liek watmough, menzies, kite, broncos with civanoceva, thiday, parker, stagg, parramatta with cayless, hindmarsh, moimoi, and robenson, dogs with the big boppers they have etc... these teams can realy dominate melbournes pack on any day. i do think brizzy will win the gf on the back of their forward pack. i honestly think it could be a real thrashing if they get going... i may be wrong and have under estimated the melbourne pack... but wow their are alot of strong pack in the comp

While i'm the first to admit our pack isn't the most star studded, it's without the big names and it's not the most talented in the comp, what we do have is a pack that won't take a backward step to any other, won't get intimidated by any other and will give every bit as good as they can cop.

All the players have heard all season and all the Storm supporters have heard is that their pack isn't up to it, they'll get smashed by the Dogs, they'll get whipped by the Bronco's, they don't have the pack to win this game, that game or the comp blah blah blah. But after all that how many games have we lost this year with this inferior no name pack? How many times can you categorically say we say we got hammered by the opposition pack in a game this season?

You don't get to the GF with and average pack and i'll back our boys to get the job done against any team we come up against and that includes the Bronco's on Sunday night ;-)

ocko

juniors
another thing to consider too is that i think the gold coast titans will start eating into some of the talent base from qld that the storm have been tapping into.

The Colonel

Immortal
caylo said:

While on paper those teams probably should dominate Melbourne, the ladder shows they lost four games all year. You don't need a big name forward pack to win the comp and again you just have to look at the clubs that have won the premiership over the past six or seven years. Only Brisbane, Roosters and Bulldogs can really boast a pack that was a dominate force all year.

The Storm pack do their job and they do it extremely well. At some stage they will get dominated - it may be Sunday, then again it may not.

By the way caylo, capitals, fullstops and commas are your friend.

Ice777

Bench
ocko said:
another thing to consider too is that i think the gold coast titans will start eating into some of the talent base from qld that the storm have been tapping into.

Every other NRL side has had every opportunity to eat into the talent base from Qld that we've been tapping into but they either haven't or they don't have the right scouts to notice the talent that Peter O'Sullivan has. If the Titans have an eye for talent then it may give us a bit of competition but if they don't then i can't see it being much of a problem because it hasn't really been in the past.

The Colonel

Immortal
ocko said:

Brisbane Norths have become a feeder for the Titans or for Brisbane next year? That could impact quite heavily on what happens in coming years for the Storm.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Brisbane Norths have become a feeder for the Titans or for Brisbane next year? That could impact quite heavily on what happens in coming years for the Storm.
Yeah, I think they're gonna be a feeder for the Broncos.

caylo

Bench
The Colonel said:
By the way caylo, capitals, fullstops and commas are your friend.

No they are not!
why expend so much energy on such insignificant tools :D :D

and yes i have t agree the melbourne pack has held it own very well... they do have class about them, kafusi reminds me very much of asotasi. hoffman, as i said has amazing skill, crocker no more needed to be said, kidwell amazing skills, cam smith etc. they have a good pack, but i just think the broncos tested them when they lost 18-10, and they are a much more complete team now then they where then. webkey, civanoceva, thiday, and parker may realy just dominate. then hannat, carlaw, thorn, carroll etc are all very good players. i just can't see them dominate the forward pack, but i must admitt melbourne look like the fittest team, and i dont think they will capitulate like the doggies did so brisbane goin 2 have be on their game from the get go

Ice777

Bench
caylo said:
No they are not!
why expend so much energy on such insignificant tools :D :D

and yes i have t agree the melbourne pack has held it own very well... they do have class about them, kafusi reminds me very much of asotasi. hoffman, as i said has amazing skill, crocker no more needed to be said, kidwell amazing skills, cam smith etc. they have a good pack, but i just think the broncos tested them when they lost 18-10, and they are a much more complete team now then they where then. webkey, civanoceva, thiday, and parker may realy just dominate. then hannat, carlaw, thorn, carroll etc are all very good players. i just can't see them dominate the forward pack, but i must admitt melbourne look like the fittest team, and i dont think they will capitulate like the doggies did so brisbane goin 2 have be on their game from the get go

Brisbane are playing better now than when we played them, but at the same time they had a great first half against us when we went into the sheds at half time 10-0 down and came out and beat them 18-10. Personally i don't think Sunday night will be won or lost in the forwards, you need a much bigger arsenal to beat Melbourne than just a big strong pack as has been proven time and time again this year. Even if they do get beaten in that area, they have other ways to counter that and win with their strong defence and attacking options.

I'm not for one minute saying that Brisbane don't have the weapons to beat the Storm because they have them in spades and can win no worries. But what i am saying is they'll need to win more than just the forward battle to win the game.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ice777 said:
Brisbane are playing better now than when we played them, but at the same time they had a great first half against us when we went into the sheds at half time 10-0 down and came out and beat them 18-10. .

18-12.
I knew if Brisbane could do well agains the Dogs pack that the Broncos backs would kill it and they did.
With the Storm, it is is different as their backs are sensational

Parra Guru

Coach
Balmain_Boy said:
Have a look at the age of our squad last year. Things have a habit of changing and changing fast. The Roosters, Penrith, Bulldogs and Tigers have all mentioned the D word after their grand final wins. All have had reasonable claims to saying it as well.

Not one has succeeded.

Storm should concentrate on winning one first, I'm sure that's what Bellamy will be telling them.

Agreed

Parra Guru

Coach
Ice777 said:
Every other NRL side has had every opportunity to eat into the talent base from Qld that we've been tapping into but they either haven't or they don't have the right scouts to notice the talent that Peter O'Sullivan has. If the Titans have an eye for talent then it may give us a bit of competition but if they don't then i can't see it being much of a problem because it hasn't really been in the past.

It's a no brainer mate.

The Sydney teams obviously have their own junior depth and don't have the need to venture to QLD for the talent, whereas Melbourne do.

You're a young rising QLD player, and you have a choice - Melbourne or Titans??? I think the Titans will definately challenge you guys, as it will be hard to crack first grade at Melbourne with the current talent.

Ice777

Bench
Parra Guru said:
You're a young rising QLD player, and you have a choice - Melbourne or Titans??? I think the Titans will definately challenge you guys, as it will be hard to crack first grade at Melbourne with the current talent.

Yes it'd be hard to crack first grade ATM with the talent we have, but we're talking about kids here who are at least a couple of years off playing first grade anyway. Why haven't the Bronco's or the Cowboys picked up these kids yet we have? They've had every opportunity to grab these young kids haven't they?

Also i don't think it's as simplistic as saying Titans or Melbourne? Of course staying closer to home would be a lure but there's so many other things to factor into it than that. If i was a young kid from Queensland and i've seen where the likes of Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis and Dallas Johnson ended up at the Storm then it'd be a serious attraction for me.

You have to think of what's best for your footy, not just where you live and if Melbourne happened to offer a better deal and better program then i'msure they'll look at that seriously at it. I'm not saying Melbourne does or will have the better program, but they spend the first couple of years developing in Qld playing there anyway so it's not like they're away from home. Yes we might lose out on a a few to the Titans, but that can happen to any team and not just the them. If it does then it does there's enough to go around. But i'm more than happy with our recruiting staff and have no doubt they'll continue luring them down to Melbourne.