What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door shuts on Lyon

Gronk

Staff member
Tonga wasn't the only player hit with a deadline yesterday, with Parramatta telling Jamie Lyon it will withdraw its offer if he pushes ahead with his plans to test his worth on the open market.

The former Eels centre is in the final year of his contract with English club St Helens and was favoured to return home next year to the club he walked out on to play bush football with Wee Waa in 2004.

However, those plans were turned upside down last week when Lyon announced he wanted to wait until the June 30 deadline passed before making a decision on his future.

Manly is now the favourite to secure his services for next season, although it is believed Penrith is also poised to weigh in with a lucrative offer.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19474250-2722,00.html

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Can someone just set me straight on one thing.

Are we still tabling an offer to lyon, but we arent gonna run around after him
OR
have we told him to take a walk off a short pier?

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
Can someone just set me straight on one thing.

Are we still tabling an offer to lyon, but we arent gonna run around after him
OR
have we told him to take a walk off a short pier?

from what I understand and I found this out a few days ago, that the offer will be there until July 1 where we'll use the money elsewhere if he doesn't sign.

Lyon may be 1000 to 1 to re-sign with us but the theory is that we're not going to use the money before that so we might as well leave it there any way, however if a replacement comes forward before June 30 I would imagine that we would pull the offer straight off the table and use it then, apparently Lyon and Mimis are aware of that.

In the 2 interviews I heard from Fitzy in the past week he has used the term "Highly Unlikely" for Lyon to come back, which to me means the door isn't completely bolted but it is closed.

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
Alright cheers for that eela :p i still wouldnt mind seeing him back but it wont happen by the sounds of it

as i said door is closed but not locked...but imo he's 1000's

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
There is always the doggy door, which would seem fitting for lyon :lol:

that's one Manly continuelly open for players, I'm sure they'll throw the red carpet out for the mongral.

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
Most people would say hes already been welcomed to manly before he even left parra

worst kept secret ever?

well if the reports are correct he was welcome back here too...after he bloody well approached us.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Maroubra Eel said:
Yeah why did he approach us if he didn't want to come back anyway.

To take attention away from him already having a deal done with Manly.. maybe.

I won't hate him just yet, but if he signs with Manly then I will be furious and embarassed for defending him. If we offered $350k and he turned it down then good riddance. He is having a shocking year at St. Helens anyway, I don't know why he thinks he is worth Gasnier money.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gasnier isn't even worth the Gasnier money, he's having an ordinary year as well

strider

Post Whore
there are very few players in the game worth even $500K .... players/managers are just getting selfish cos they see other sports with players getting more and are jealous .... no one should be disappointed getting $300K+ a year to play sport

varion

Juniors
We should offer 350-375k, whats 50-75k with the players we are shedding and the fact the salary cap has gone up more than half a million.

We need good players badly. Obviously if the money was higher Jamie probably would of joined but more than likely his manager has secretly gone to all other clubs who would be offering that and more.

Hellsy

Immortal
Twizzle said:
Gasnier isn't even worth the Gasnier money, he's having an ordinary year as well

He sure is, thats always the way though.......

I still maintain that if a club is going to pay a player that much money then good on the player!!! Why would you turn it down??

parra pete

Referee
I asked a former Eels coach on Wednesday night if he would have Lyon back if he was in charge...His answer was "No Way"...

Latest posts