What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door shuts on Lyon

Gronk

Staff member
Lyon poaching claims
By David Riccio
June 18, 2006

NRL officials last night invited Parramatta to make a tampering complaint if they felt Brian Smith had made an illegal approach to Jamie Lyon about joining Newcastle next year.

The controversy came as speculation the St Helens star would be recalled from England for Origin III gained currency once more, prompting officials to again hose it down. Lyon is barred from talking to any club but Parramatta until June 30 but his agent, George Mimis, did not deny Smith and Lyon had met last week in England.

"I can neither confirm or deny that," Mimis told The Sunday Telegraph. "It's not something I can comment on. There has certainly been some expressions of interest from Newcastle. Contrary to popular belief, Jamie did not leave Parramatta because of Brian. Brian has said he does not have a problem with Jamie and Jamie has said he does not have a problem with Brian.

"At the moment we can only talk to Parramatta but after June 30 I would imagine we would have some talks."

The Sunday Telegraph

:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19502863-23214,00.html

Glenn

First Grade
Sunday Telegraph said:
Contrary to popular belief, Jamie did not leave Parramatta because of Brian. Brian has said he does not have a problem with Jamie and Jamie has said he does not have a problem with Brian.

Hmmmmm wonder if Rayyyy read that, and when do we get the apology he was wrong ;-)

parra pete

Referee
Dennis said to BSB on 2KY on Friday when asked about Lyon returning to the Eels said "Highly unlikely".....
and I thought to myself 'good'.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Haven't read through all the posts tbh but just my point

I always had a feeling that it was never going to happen and I honestly never really wanted him back.

There is an element here of coverup not so much from the Manly club but from Lyon and his management.

There was actualyl a similar case in the Tahu chase last year about 2-3 weeks before he was able to talk to any clubs Tahu was on ch.10 and he said "I can't wait until June 30th to talk to Manly" after a pause he then quickly added "and other clubs"

this is similar in the sense that I really only think Lyon talked to Parra to calm the waters that he was also talking to other clubs if that be Manly, Roosters, Titans, Panthers or whoever.

By talking to Parra and getting them to concentrate on the contract negotiations it left them ignoring him haven't already spoken to other NRL clubs before June 30th.

It's the oldest trick in the book get people to look at your left hand while your right hand is stealing their wallet.

strider

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
It's the oldest trick in the book get people to look at your left hand while your right hand is stealing their wallet.

*makes mental note never to stand on hurri's right*

Hurriflatch

Referee
To those who had asked one of the main reasons that Lyon wanted to talk other then to take notice off the fact he had signed/talked to other clubs is to show to anyone out there that he is willing to go back to the club he walked out on by doing so it's an attempt to get more money out of c lubs who may not be willing to risk Jamie walking out on them.

If a club is nervous about Lyon doing the same thing to them that he did to Parra by showing that he is willing to go back to Parra that takes away those nerves.

It may or may not work but if he signs a 4 year 400k per year deal then that deal would've been 300k per year over 2 years if he didn't at least talk to Parra.

Latest posts