What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Standards Hasler on Gallop

Eels Dude

Coach
Des ain't too bright. Does Des remember that the only reason the NRL intervened with Stewart was because Manly wouldn't?

Spot on. Manly had themselves to blame over that. They didn't even need to punish him but they refused to even aknowledge there was an issue so the NRL intervened and used the "drunk at an official function" as an excuse for his punishment to save face.

Garts

Bench
Des ain't too bright. Does Des remember that the only reason the NRL intervened with Stewart was because Manly wouldn't?

Maybe Manly had all the facts and knew they didn't need to do anything as Stewart did nothing wrong. It is admirable they backed their player and did not cave to media pressure.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Maybe Manly had all the facts and knew they didn't need to do anything as Stewart did nothing wrong. It is admirable they backed their player and did not cave to media pressure.
Getting back to the question in the tread. My understanding is as belo, please correct me if wrong as I am not as close as some of you to the situation:

- The kid was at a team mates house overnight, not out in the pubs?
- He was obviously drinking at his mates place, as we all have done ourselves, and more often than not prob overdid it and went ot bed late, but was still at his mates place;
- He got up the next morning early and drove over the limit.

Not perfect, but hardly can be construed as anything like a continuation of his previous behaviour if the above facts are correct. I agree what he did was wrong, as someone could have been hurt, but I don't thisnk this can be classed with previous offences. I am not a Roosters fan, infact they are very low down on my scale of like.

My perception is Carney has been genuinely trying to change his ways since he has come back, and this is an unfortunate glitch rather than a return to old ways.

I hope the kid keeps on the same path and works things through. If he goes back to old ways, I will be the first to agree he needs to be outed. But who on this forum has not gone ot a mates house, spent the night having a few too many, and walked out the door the next morning under the weather?

Eels Dude

Coach

Manly had all the facts? FFS maybe we should get rid of the police all together and just let individual businesses deal with criminal activities regarding their own employees.. :crazy:

effnic

Bench
We shall see now how wrong you all think des is when we see what Gallop does with the new "face of the game".

Garts

Bench
Manly had all the facts? FFS maybe we should get rid of the police all together and just let individual businesses deal with criminal activities regarding their own employees.. :crazy:

What I am saying is that Manly would have made a informed decision based on the facts at hand at the time. Do you think the club would not have got Stewarts side of the storey? If a teams star player has that sort of accusation levelled at them of course they are going to hear his side of the storey. Or do you think Manly should have automatically suspended a player who had no history or prior form based on the lies printed in the paper to keep to the media happy?

gronkathon

First Grade
Simple facts which I am sure even you can agree on Garts is that if Manly hadn't run a piss up with zero effective control the day would have gone very differently for Chocmough and Mong eyes

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This "the NRL is out to get Manly" attitude is really boring.

Garts

Bench
I am not saying the NRL is out to get us at all. I do see some Manly fans who think that, not me though. All I am saying is I can see why some get frustrated with "perceived" inconsistencies and why someone might feel the need to speak out. For the record I do not want to see Carney or Benji suspended at all. It is not warranted. Maybe I should just tell people who have a different opinion to shut the f**k up and move on. Is that acceptable with you Timmah?

And Gronkathon, yes I completely agree. However that was not what I was talking about when responding to Eels Dude.

Eels Dude

Coach
Many companies already do.. :crazy:

When criminal charges are involved they really shouldn't.

What I am saying is that Manly would have made a informed decision based on the facts at hand at the time. Do you think the club would not have got Stewarts side of the storey? If a teams star player has that sort of accusation levelled at them of course they are going to hear his side of the storey. Or do you think Manly should have automatically suspended a player who had no history or prior form based on the lies printed in the paper to keep to the media happy?

It's spelled story. But yeah you do make some good points. But there are two sides to every story and by simply taking into account his version of events after speaking to him, well then was the wrong thing to do given the media attention about the situation. Anyway it's over now. So while the NRL acted wrong, the situation could have been handled better by Hasler and the club. And there is no need for Hasler to keep acting like a sook in regards to it.

Garts

Bench
Thanks for the grammar lesson but I'm sure the incorrect use of the word did not confuse you. Just as well I'm paid to count, and thank f**k for spell check in word!!!!!

Hopefully it's the last we hear from Hasler or the Manly club on it!!!!! Be interesting to see if they speak up after the Benji incident. Hopefully not.

_Johnsy

Referee
Imagine my surprise, the manly club having a whinge.

As a club that has been on the receiving end of unjust/harsh/unfair treatment from the governing body you would have thought they would have some understanding/compassion regarding the plight of beni/WT. But no, we're talking about Manly here.

OR, maybe Manly had no intention of handing out any punishment regardless? I'll be asking Des Hasler when we host Manly what punishment the NRL gave out to Tony Williams for his DUI.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Garts, the hardest thing to swallow with this situation is Dessie's complete avoidance of the Watmough speeding incident - which to me is far worse than Carney's DUI charge.

Flapper

First Grade
Garts, the hardest thing to swallow with this situation is Dessie's complete avoidance of the Watmough speeding incident - which to me is far worse than Carney's DUI charge.

Of course it is, one was intentional, one wasn't.

aqua_duck

Coach
To be honest alot of the time you have no idea of your BAL the next morning, I mean most of the time you feel completely sober if a little hungover and at 0.052 I know from personal experience I'd feel pretty right. If he wasn't a P plater it'd be a nothing story, he broke the law fair enough but people getting all high and mighty over drink driving in regards to this incident need to take a good look at themselves. Thousands of fully licensed drivers drive home after one or two beers after work, those one or two beers is enough to get them close to the limit, now if Nathan Hindmarsh (for example) got caught with 0.002 over the limit after having 2 beers at dinner time would there be a big drama? No, the big drama is because A. It's Todd Carney and B. He hasn't done a computer test that somehow makes him a much better driver.

Des should shut up. Watmough, high range speeding, Tony Williams, high range DUI, no suspension, did he conveniently forget these 2 incidents?

typicalfan

Coach
Carney has a bad reputation because of Todd Carney, Nathan Hindmarsh has a good reputation because of Nathan Hindmarsh.

Carney is a repeat offender with a history, Hindmarsh is a clean skin.

And Carney was 0.052 over the limit, a bit different from being 0.002 over.

Garts

Bench

Won't get any disagreement from me there.

Latest posts