What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Douglas a Titan?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dougie knows he's a better chance of winning a premiership and getting paid at the Titans

HA. funny.

There is a bit more to this Ima. The dougie issue has been going on for a while & unlike the Idris signing, (where not even high level staff knew he was signed until 10 minutes prior,) was well telegraphed. Teh Sharks had every opportunity to re-sign Dougie & I honestly thought they would have.
I now ask the forum this. How many form players leave a club to take a pay cut, when the TV rights are about to come around during your new contract period?
I also dont believe Rothfields figure of 350k.

meatloaf

Juniors
Sorry to do this to you guys I feel bad poaching him and I loved watching him run around for you sharkies. But man he is an exciting prospect and its a great signing by my club

Eion

First Grade
I now ask the forum this. How many form players leave a club to take a pay cut, when the TV rights are about to come around during your new contract period?
Only 2 reasons:
1) you can't stand the joint
2) you aren't actually taking a pay cut.

carcharias

Immortal
well reefy after being a part of the heritage round the other night, where the sharks took it literally.
i.e
no food
fug all bar staff
chaos
punching on with coppers...etc etc etc

I think it is a money thing.

good luck to dougie....good ..solid...not exactly animalistic though.

cleary89

Coach
How does he leave you guys taking a pay cut?

Thats huge. Guess his parents will be out of a job, now Kane plays for the tahs and Luke will be in QLD. Sharks can give it to someone elses parents.

But seriously f**ked. Your team was just starting to look decent (minus a half). Now you lose probably the two best young front rowers in the comp, one to take a pay cut.

SharkShocked

Bench
well reefy after being a part of the heritage round the other night, where the sharks took it literally.
i.e
no food
fug all bar staff
chaos
punching on with coppers...etc etc etc

I think it is a money thing.

good luck to dougie....good ..solid...not exactly animalistic though.

Hence why i'd prefer to keep Snowden

TheOx

Juniors
There is more to come. Dont write off Snowy just yet though.
As for the Yamba excuse, pharken bullshyte. Yamba is nearly 4 hours away from Robina. Like saying moving home to Newcastle to be near family in Bega.

rubbish...Yamba is just over 200 k's from Robina....alot closer than 700 to cronulla......There's obviously far more to his move than just that...i was just pointing it out.

BrisVegas

Juniors
The news article quoting Douglas from a February, a few days after the Snowden contract drama first started:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/douglas-is-also-weighing-options/story-fn6e0tx4-1226008421516

Douglas is also weighing options
Steve Gee
February 19, 2011 12:00AM

CRONULLA are in danger of losing another key forward with workhorse Luke Douglas revealing yesterday he has a get-out clause in his contract for next year.

The rising Sharks front-rower is only signed until the end of 2011 with an option in his favour for 2012 and admits he could walk out on the rebuilding club in what would be a massive blow in the wake of the Kade Snowden saga.

Cronulla are already facing a battle to re-sign State of Origin prop Snowden, who is on the Knights' radar, and it was believed Douglas was tied up for 2012 at least.

But the 24-year-old told The Daily Telegraph he was free to leave: "I'm happy at the Sharks, but we'll see," Douglas said yesterday. "I'd love to stay, but if it's not to be then it's not to be. I don't know if I should really be saying this, but I have an option for next year to stay if I want to so I'm pretty happy.

"But if something comes up my manager would have to weigh it up."

Douglas, who debuted in 2006 aged 19, has earned a reputation as the Sharks' man of steel with the Yamba-born prop stringing together a record 122 consecutive NRL games - the most of any forward.

Alongside Snowden and captain Paul Gallen, he was a shining light in an otherwise disappointing season in 2010.

The 192cm front-rower was rewarded for his form and promise with selection in Ricky Stuart's 51-man Blues in Waiting squad in a sign he is regarded as a future rep star.

Douglas says his priority is to stay with the Sharks, who he believes are ready to return to finals football under new coach Shane Flanagan this year.

But he admits nothing is certain with close mate Snowden apparently the target of a $1m offer from his former club Newcastle.

"The option is just for 12 months, but the Sharks are trying to re-sign Snowy and all that and they're pretty busy over there so I suppose we'll just wait and see," he said.

Douglas says the Sharks are desperate to prove wrong the knockers who have already written off the side as wooden-spoon contenders this season.

Was this supposed to be interpreted as a 'shot across the bow' as an indication that Douglas wanted to sort his future out sooner rather than later, or that negotiations at the time with Cronulla were't progressing in an adequate way?

Last edited:

imasharkie

Coach
not only are we losing Dougie and Snowy but reports that eels are chasing Mannah, leave us with Vave and Clayton.
Might be time to start these two in firsts.

not only are we losing Dougie and Snowy but reports that eels are chasing Mannah, leave us with Vave and Clayton.
Might be time to start these two in firsts.

Ima, I actually watched the game between us and the Jets. I was pretty happy the way Vave, Clayton, Tautai and Bakuya went. Give them a go.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Phuk, Friend must have been on some coin - he goes and they sign Douglas, Idris and more than likely Champion.

No. About 170. Titans could have had him again for 220 but didnt want him. Well somebody didn't want him anyway.
They have been under the cap for 2 years now & salary banking it.

Frailty

First Grade
Reefy - Our forums' Phil Gould. Claims he knew all along, when he really doesn't have a clue.