What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons after Hodkinson

Mr Red

First Grade
When you can't beat Kris Keating for a spot in 1st grade (Hodkinson I'm referring too) you know your 1st grade career is just about over.

Hodkinson was painfully slow at the eagles, and even slower now at the dogs since his knee injury..
those complaining that the side already lacks pace in the half back role will see Fien like our version of Usain Bolt if Hodkinson signs..

thommo4pm

Coach
Hodkinson was painfully slow at the eagles, and even slower now at the dogs since his knee injury..
those complaining that the side already lacks pace in the half back role will see Fien like our version of Usain Bolt if Hodkinson signs..

Agree, and everyone would be begging Hornby to come out of retirement.

TheRev

Coach
To some of those comments, yep our spiral began a few years back, and we are probably past the point where we can buy our way out of it with a bit of luck, timing and astute talent scouting.

Only way out I see is either:
1) Club gets a reboot (doust/price and the rest), this is important because were lacking forward thinkers
2) We focus on developing our own youth (they are cheaper and more motivated), and hope to reap the benefits in a few years

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Hodkinson--------------------------------------------------------------------> Fiensy.

Sam Williams won't be going to Canterbury.

He'll be going to another Sydney club though.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You might have missed the bit where i said 400 thousand

Few things here counting against us -

1. Sam can't cop Jamie Soward.
2. Paul Sutton is his manager - Sutton won't deal with Young, even though he works for Mimis.
3. He's already agreed to terms elsewhere.

I'd drop 350k on Williams without blinking an eye, personally. He's 21 years old. Played 30 odd games. Was best player on the ground in both finals last year. One in a badly beaten side.

Pure halfback as mentioned elsewhere. He'll be worth a lot more than 350k in two years time.

Last edited:

rainman44

Bench

2. Paul Sutton is his manager - Sutton won't deal with Young, even though he works for Mimis.

I'd drop 350k on Williams without blinking an eye, personally. He's 21 years old. Played 30 odd games. Was best player on the ground in both finals last year. One in a badly beaten side.

Pure halfback as mentioned elsewhere. He'll be worth a lot more than 350k in two years time.
I would punt soward for this kid. Is it the panthers ronnie?

Mr Red

First Grade

agree with 350k being a no brainer for him..
can you please elaborate on points 1 and 3?
as for point 2 - this seems to be a re-occurring theme.. managers not wanting to deal with Young... time to go Young.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I would punt soward for this kid. Is it the panthers ronnie?

No mate.

agree with 350k being a no brainer for him..
can you please elaborate on points 1 and 3?
as for point 2 - this seems to be a re-occurring theme.. managers not wanting to deal with Young... time to go Young.

Yep. Point 1 - He hates Sowards guts. Most do.

Point 3 - The source for the statement that he's signed elsewhere and is basically being shown the door at Canberra (WTF was my reaction. This will be a blunder of Thurston-esque proportions for those idiots) is impeccable. I've known the guy my whole life and he's played a big role in Sam's development. Its a Sydney club as far as I know, but its not us.

Just on the whole way we deal with managers. I think that Doust & Young probably feel the same way most do about them. Leeches. But, and this is the essesnce of the problems I fear we face at present, we don't play ball with them, as is a basic necessity in the modern game.

I suspect, as many on here do, that they are too old school in the way they do things. Young is an old school copper FFS. They've been in the system too long and, after our golden era has ended, they find themselves not aware of the predicament thats (only in my opinion) on the horizon.

We need fresh blood in those positions in order to thrive. The clubs power base is arrogant and out of date, which is not nearly so frightening as being out of the loop with player agents.

The Dinosaurs, as history has so often displayed, drag organisations down. Doust has been there for 13 years. No CEO stays in a job for 13 years. They move on themselves when they start getting comfortable.

Our Board are old school Dinosaurs, who are used to getting their own way, which, in a freer market, is potentially catastrophic for a business when they negotiate along those lines.

Dark clouds on the horizon. We're stale & detached from the reality of modern business life at the top.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I don't profess to know Craig Young or the inner workings of our club personally, but this re-occurring thing with player managers is quite serious. Yes I'm sure we all agree that they are only concerned with themselves and obnoxious people to deal with. But you just have to play their game to be successful!

rainman44

Bench
No mate.

Point 3 - The source for the statement that he's signed elsewhere and is basically being shown the door at Canberra (WTF was my reaction. This will be a blunder of Thurston-esque proportions for those idiots) is impeccable. I've known the guy my whole life and he's played a big role in Sam's development. Its a Sydney club as far as I know, but its not us.

Just on the whole way we deal with managers. I think that Doust & Young probably feel the same way most do about them. Leeches. But, and this is the essesnce of the problems I fear we face at present, we don't play ball with them, as is a basic necessity in the modern game.

I suspect, as many on here do, that they are too old school in the way they do things. Young is an old school copper FFS. They've been in the system too long and, after our golden era has ended, they find themselves not aware of the predicament thats (only in my opinion) on the horizon.

We need fresh blood in those positions in order to thrive. The clubs power base is arrogant and out of date, which is not nearly so frightening as being out of the loop with player agents.

The Dinosaurs, as history has so often displayed, drag organisations down. Doust has been there for 13 years. No CEO stays in a job for 13 years. They move on themselves when they start getting comfortable.

Our Board are old school Dinosaurs, who are used to getting their own way, which, in a freer market, is potentially catastrophic for a business when they negotiate along those lines.

Dark clouds on the horizon. We're stale & detached from the reality of modern business life at the top.
99.9% of saints fans are on the same page as you ronnie. What can we do about it ?

Mr Red

First Grade

good point.
i think this sums things up pretty well... we all know most player managers are unethical, but its the nature of the beast in the modern era.

TALENted

Juniors
No mate.

Wow why isn't guvner and co giving it to you over this post? Come on guv rip in haha
Do u have it in u?

Welcome to the dark side lol

Minh

First Grade
Hodgekinson's done nothing since his Manly days, I would rather we develop drinkwater but Hodgekinson would be a good fallback option I guess.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Wow why isn't guvner and co giving it to you over this post? Come on guv rip in haha
Do u have it in u?

Mate, its not the dark side. You're just a lover of the melodramatic.

These are just my takes on things. Guv and the rest are free to rip and tear as they please. I don't profess to know Doust or Young personally and I don't berate them as such, I just comment on my observations from the outside. I'd love to be totally wrong and torn to pieces in here.

Godz Illa

Coach
Do u have it in u?

I don't necessairly agree with Ronnie's posts on this or a few other matters, but perhaps his comments retain a greater level of gravity to yours (ie unridiculed) because he has contributed to a range of different topics in different ways. You post the same shit on the same shit over and over.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
99.9% of saints fans are on the same page as you ronnie. What can we do about it ?

Be measured. Don't let the emotion of results sway you emotionally - either way. Winning papers over the cracks and losing leads to ridiculously over the top reactions - reactions of biblical proportions.

Just observe as much as you can. Talk about it in here. We are all on the same page after all. There's no need for concieved splits in here. No one has ever said Doust should be in the job for life, but, on the other hand, he's done some good things on the surface. Basically - lets play the ball and not the man & lets not rush in to it. There are examples in recent history of the Nights of the Long Knives at Board level and you often end up with worse than what you've already got - Look at Parra.

Better the Devil you know.....................................for now.

Its what happens after Price leaves that will dictate our course of action. I'm no politician or manouverer of politicians, but I know enough people who will think of Saints as a good story (they do anyway) in a serious journalistic fashion to warrant some coverage of what happens behind those locked doors, should the club hit the wall. I for one sincerely hopes that NEVER happens.

Anyway - here's hoping for the second coming, or the more miraculous event of Sowie stepping up to take on the line over the first six rounds.

Last edited:

furball

Juniors
Doe's anyone have an opinion of Shannon Crook. I only saw the last 15 minutes of U20 on friday night. Understand that he is probably a couple of years away as he will only be 19 this year. Looking at his bio he has represented nsw at under 15s and 16s. Has anyone seen enough of him to make a prediction that he could make it at the next level.

Latest posts