What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

hazzbeen

Bench
Give us a break Possm. The deal is done and dusted my ass!
Who should they have appointed interim coach then?
Dean was the assistant, he has been the assistant for a while now so he has stepped into interim coach. If from here they win the comp then yes he will be coach next year.
If they dont he won't.
Cheers
I agree Crush , BUT , the way our boys club think even if he dosnt win the comp and he wins say 4 games well Im afraid that Possm could be right and they do another in house ex player coach ...... The Bennett endorsement wont help , any excuse for them ... Anyway lets just wait and see how it pans out , I have nothing against Young and he may turn out to be a good coach , but not what is needed now ..... Bennett is all about Bennett , and like I posted before , sick of his dribble and we know how the last coach for us went that he gave his approval to ..... If possible it would be Wane for me , someone that has no ties with the club and players ...... Over to you CEO and board members ...... Go the Saints .....

possm

Coach
I agree Crush , BUT , the way our boys club think even if he dosnt win the comp and he wins say 4 games well Im afraid that Possm could be right and they do another in house ex player coach ...... The Bennett endorsement wont help , any excuse for them ... Anyway lets just wait and see how it pans out , I have nothing against Young and he may turn out to be a good coach , but not what is needed now ..... Bennett is all about Bennett , and like I posted before , sick of his dribble and we know how the last coach for us went that he gave his approval to ..... If possible it would be Wane for me , someone that has no ties with the club and players ...... Over to you CEO and board members ...... Go the Saints .....
Wane has recently had his contract extended in the UK so he is not an applicant. So far, only Young has put his hand up for the job. Just ask yourself, what the first-grade coach would want to report to Millward? Answer, Young because that is the deal.

Crush

Coach
i smell a big finish to this season for us.
We will be a tough team to meet for a while hopefully.
I'd love to sneak into the finals without McGregor. It would be gold.

thebigredv

First Grade
i smell a big finish to this season for us.
We will be a tough team to meet for a while hopefully.
I'd love to sneak into the finals without McGregor. It would be gold.

Mary did already mention the winnable games against the 3 qld teams coming up. I think he was disappointed he wouldn't be part of it. We should win all 3 (and go on a 4 match winning streak) though we would have found a way to lose 2 or 3 of them under the old coach.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
My bet is we will use Young with Flanno as his assistant for 2021 with Flanno to take over for 2022. It’s not what I want but I think it’s what we will get. Unless we can somehow convince Fitzy to come.
Wane is clearly out of the running but he would be my pick. Hopefully we at least court him. I’m not interested in Toovey or Griffin. Paul Green I would entertain but I’d say he’s waiting for Seibold to go.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wane has recently had his contract extended in the UK so he is not an applicant. So far, only Young has put his hand up for the job. Just ask yourself, what the first-grade coach would want to report to Millward? Answer, Young because that is the deal.

According to some, Wane's agent in Aust has already forwarded his application for the job, along with a few others.
Extending his contract with England has not excluded him from applying.

Fitzy also said he 'can't apply' but openly stated he'd be interested 'if asked".

Dragonslayer

First Grade
IMO, theres some interesting times ahead re coaching.

The Cows still havent announced their new coach.

Robinson says 2021 could be his last in the NRL as his wife wants to return to France.

Bellamy is also approaching the end of his coaching career (2021?).

Dragons need a coach.

Flanagan stated he always wanted to coach hia son. He cannot he HC until 2022.

Fitzy cant apply for the Dragons job, but will if 'headhunted'.

Some interesting joining of the dots there.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It’s not so much the Dragons are a boys club; the whole NRL is! Players now leave their playing career and go into media coaching or development related roles etc...they never leave the NRL bubble. Everyone rates someone else because they probably worked with them 5 minutes ago in some other NRL capacity.

I’d love to know what criteria that football clubs have for their selection of coach. Some of the life experiences that you get from other work environments can greatly assist in making you an effective communicator or strategist i.e Roy Masters, Warren Ryan, Jack Gibson etc

Often the current choices always thrown up have ONLY had NRL and I think it shows. I just don’t think that we should rush to get say Fitzgibbon just because Johns say so, or Ryles because x or y say so, or because of their immediate availability or have had some previous average results in the NRL.

Last edited:
I would invite Fitzgibbon to apply

My short list would be:

Fitzgibbon
Wane
Bennett (assuming Flanagan is not available for 2021)

Dean Young has 6 weeks to audition for the job, however I feel he needs to leave the nest and serve an apprenticeship under a top coach before he could be considered at some later stage.

Dragsters

First Grade
According to some, Wane's agent in Aust has already forwarded his application for the job, along with a few others.
Extending his contract with England has not excluded him from applying.

Fitzy also said he 'can't apply' but openly stated he'd be interested 'if asked".

Thank you for helping to dispell the assumption that just because the English Rugby League has extended Wane in the HOPE that he would not apply for an NRL job that automatically means he is out of the running.

It simply does not...

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Let's wait and see , I have this feeling that all Young has to do is win 4 games and they will do a Mary ..... I hope not if it happens that will do me .....

denis preston

First Grade
Bennett has endorsed Young and Wane has had is current contract extended. Flanagan does not look like being given any favours from the NRL. So from what is left on the list it has to be Fitzgibbon but if he keeps to his word, he is not available either.

So who is left? Griffin, Toovey, Walters, and Green. From this list, I would choose Griffin but I would have appointed him now because there is a lot of important work to do in preperation for season 2021.

I'd say that there is only one reason why the Board has appointed Dean Young as an interim coach. It is because the Board fully intend on appointing him head coach for 2021 and beyond. Deal is done and dusted.
Didn't you see our CEO quote which absolutely rules out Young ? The fact his dad has stood down and not resigned from the Board also shows he will be interim only.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I thing poor old Deano is 1000 to 1. Not because of his coaching abilities but the Taj would burn.

As for the moment, I not thinking about next year's coach. I'm still thinking about what I felt like when reading about Mary " stepping down".

The fairytale of Benny returning for 1 year and Flano taking over would be great however, it's 1000 to 1 to happen.

Fitzgibbon has said no according to recent news. Hope it's fake news as he would be a good suitor.

Even coaches awaiting a crack at first grade reject this club, yet Mary was harping on about the strength of the organisation. Pathetic.

If you are capable of it, time to get your act together Dragons board. Although if dopey Andrew Gordon is any measure, I'm not holding my breath. On the coach recruitment front, he said 'let's see what comes out of the woodwork'. Is this guy an actual business man or a daddy's boy - like Dean Young?!!

Straight Shooter

Mjab

Juniors
Bennett has endorsed Young and Wane has had is current contract extended. Flanagan does not look like being given any favours from the NRL. So from what is left on the list it has to be Fitzgibbon but if he keeps to his word, he is not available either.

So who is left? Griffin, Toovey, Walters, and Green. From this list, I would choose Griffin but I would have appointed him now because there is a lot of important work to do in preperation for season 2021.

I'd say that there is only one reason why the Board has appointed Dean Young as an interim coach. It is because the Board fully intend on appointing him head coach for 2021 and beyond. Deal is done and dusted.

I suspect sad but possible
Surely not the 3rd rubbish appointment in a row

Fitzgibbon is a rookie but in a good system , probably won’t leave chooks
Young trained by the peanut

I wouldn’t be against a Griffin and Young Combo