What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

boardlumps62

Juniors
I was listening to John Stanley on radio late last night and as we all know he is a Dragons tragic. He stated that he made his own enquires about Griffin Including his contacts at Penrith that he trusts would not string him a line. He said he was pleased to hear the feedback and there was nothing that backed up Websters comments.
Never took anything notice of what Webster says.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Never took anything notice of what Webster says.

Will be interesting to see if he keeps throwing stones from the sidelines now, my gut says he will.

Hopefully Griffo can borrow a line from Trump and label Webster as FAKE NEWS and not engage with him or feed him stories.

denis preston

First Grade
The clause that threatens to divide Dragons on coaching saga
Andrew Webster
September 7, 2020 — 12.01am
View all comments

The simmering tension between St George and Illawarra directors threatens to the drag out the Dragons' coaching saga as Phil Gould broke his silence on the matter and details emerged of how the club botched the signing of Craig Fitzgibbon.

A decision on whether interim coach Dean Young, Anthony Griffin or David Furner has the job seems unlikely when the joint venture's board meets on Monday to discuss last week's round of interviews.

That means an appointment could be weeks away given the considerable distrust between some St George directors and WIN Corporation appointees, who were installed after Bruce Gordon’s television network bought out Illawarra’s remaining 25 per cent stake in 2018.

The reports coming out of last Thursday's interviews suggests there is a long way to go.

There are plenty of people both inside and outside the Dragons who believe Dean Young is more than capable of doing the job with the right support.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...dragons-on-coaching-saga-20200906-p55ssn.html

Webster has been found out with his blind support for Goulds reputation. Last night he defended his öne article " and blamed News ltd for their concerted campaign against him ! This article has since been shown he is way off the mark with accuracy and he should be embarrassed about it. Even though a "Dragons tragic " it wont help his access to the Dragons & Griffin so we should be careful on anything he writes about our coach and the club in future.

Mjab

Juniors
Maybe all the criticism of Gould was unwarranted.
Seems like he did identify all the issues, but wasn't allowed act on them.
He didnt recoomend sack Mary which was the obvious requirement so no I think Gould full shit wanting some easy cash and doing his mate Mary a favour , even though I know thru others he didint respect him as a coach but says publically otherwise

Old Timer

Coach
I'm just glad that the Price and Mary saga are over ..... It will now be a rebuilt , and for me the horror show is over ..... What ever happens from here can't be as bad as we had it ......
Too right Hazza we will be able to sleep a lot better once AG has his feet under the desk.

It will not take very long to see the imposters on the outer and those willing to put in the hard yards, to also listen and learn being rewarded.

I truly look forward to actually seeing the best of our young players actually getting a shot at showing their ability rather than us being left to wonder what might have been.

A real coach with a real voice and not a media megalomaniac is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I don't have a problem if Deano is learning something.

I wouldn't even mind Hornby coming back as I suspect he will be the better of the two in the long run.
Me either. In fact, the Dragons ironically could have a plather of options available to them in a couple of years with the amount of movement in the NRL e.g Fitzgibbon, Ryles, Bennett, Young, Hornby, Barrett, Bellamy..; wouldn’t all be my choice but interesting to see whose careers develop over the next few years.

That’s what I like about the 2 year option. Keeps everyone on their toes. I wasn’t a fan of the Nathan Brown Newcastle arrangement and the ‘building stage’ was way overplayed in my opinion.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Too right Hazza we will be able to sleep a lot better once AG has his feet under the desk.

It will not take very long to see the imposters on the outer and those willing to put in the hard yards, to also listen and learn being rewarded.

I truly look forward to actually seeing the best of our young players actually getting a shot at showing their ability rather than us being left to wonder what might have been.

A real coach with a real voice and not a media megalomaniac is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Yep no more , " But he is a good bloke" ...... No more friends you put in or your out .....

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm just glad that the Price and Mary saga are over ..... It will now be a rebuilt , and for me the horror show is over ..... What ever happens from here can't be as bad as we had it ......
Let's hope not. A lot depends on the squad we will have for 2021 as I think that Griffin will do a good job if the players are decent enough.

since77

Juniors
Webster has been found out with his blind support for Goulds reputation. Last night he defended his öne article " and blamed News ltd for their concerted campaign against him ! This article has since been shown he is way off the mark with accuracy and he should be embarrassed about it. Even though a "Dragons tragic " it wont help his access to the Dragons & Griffin so we should be careful on anything he writes about our coach and the club in future.

I’m pretty sure Webster had a long track record of saying criticism of McGregor was unwarranted too. Zero credibility.

blacksafake

First Grade
Spot on. Also funny how Soward was quoted criticising his coaching last week and now has a video on nrl.com saying it's a good appointment!

Great to see some members on here let their personal political bug bears with Griffin go and back him as the coach.

We've got 2 years with a good quality coach and let's hope we can see a big turnaround in our fortunes with Hook on board.
I heard a grab on the radio this morning wher Soward said that the reason he'd be good for us is that Hook was the one that moved him on so that Cleary could come through , Which is what we need to be doing & he's the man for that.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m pretty sure Webster had a long track record of saying criticism of McGregor was unwarranted too. Zero credibility.

This was the same Webster that quoted one or two weeks before Mary was sacked on the same show how he thought “Mary has done a good job turning things around” since the board issued Mary’s death sentence publicly earlier in the year
Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story Andrew
Just face other facts that you were sucking up to Gus as was Weidler.... why was that?

have you ever heard of a coach potentially reinventing himself after a small time away from the game learning from past mistakes.
You same journos were happy to welcome back Des, Brownie, Madge and Cleary and many others that have had a small break from coaching without throwing mud
Just because Griffin doesn’t suck up to journos and gives you nothing.

He may be a good choice, it may not work out. but you Webster don’t know either and have no credibility when it comes to your opinion and even getting out your crystal ball

Andy_P

Juniors
He didnt recoomend sack Mary which was the obvious requirement so no I think Gould full shit wanting some easy cash and doing his mate Mary a favour , even though I know thru others he didint respect him as a coach but says publically otherwise
You obviously are not aware that Gould was TOLD what the review would cover and it certainty didn't include reviewing their operations - I wonder why - and as Gus revealed later - it wasn't a proper review and he wasn't paid for it. Dragons boss just wanted to look like he was 'taking action'. It was all for show. Now you got Griffin. Good luck with that.

possm

Coach
Well all that negative stuff should be over now. Saints fans have at last seen glimpses of improvement and the Board hopefully will get on with improving the off-field things that also matter to the fans.

I have not doubt our plight will improve under Griffin's guidance in 2021. I am very excited that Griffin is taking charge of recruitment/retention/ pathways, even if he allows Millward to stay on in a job reporting to the head coach. I am looking forward to seeing the cleanout completed over the next two seasons and the signing of some hard nosed forwards to stiffen up the our forward pack. That is one thing Griffin and Bennett have in common, they both really appreciate a tough forwards.

Webb as our new CEO is doing a fine job and find it all more easy going with Griffin aboard.