What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I dont think Young is going to be coach in 2021.

The rumour was the coach they want is not available atm. Take that as you wish.

Gareth67

First Grade
9A92CAA4-E5B1-4A7B-80F4-428B291C53C8.jpeg

“ Gid eh Dragon fans one and all , I know that my name is not on the list however I wouldn’t mind a chance to become the new coach .

I must confess that I am a bit thick , but apparently that’s par for course for your mob , however on the plus side not only am I a snazzy dresser , but with this nose of mine I can also smell talent a mile off - plus it can sign as many blank cheques that are placed in front of me ! “

“ Oh you are of course wondering my name. - you may call me Mr. Woody - I am everybody’s friend , but I can promise you all one thing - if the lads do not perform then they shall get the very pointy end of my pencil ! “

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
For a club like the Dragons that has limited success over the past 3 decades, it’s amazing how many of our ex players are in the coaching ranks.

McGregor - Out
Barrett & Brown - In
Young - Appointed interim
Fitzgibbon & Ryles - in demand & anointed as next inline Head Coaches
Hornby - Assistant under the Bennett apprenticeship

Even Flanno started his career with the Dragons as a hooker, before moving on.

Hopefully the club find the right Head Coach for 2021 to build some great foundations to take us forward & UP.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Sorry I might have missed this but because McGregor resigned does that mean we don't have to pay him or pay him out the remainder of his contract?
If this is the case then coaching options for next year are more open right? i.e. with money available.

Gareth67

First Grade
^
I may be wrong , but I am sure that one of the papers mentioned a payout of $400k ?

And if that is the case then as you have said Saint Peter , there would be more $’s available to get the best man for the job of resurrecting the Dragons .

Gareth67

First Grade
Looks like maybe nice work by the new CEO.
Could have saved the club a packet.

Apparently McGregor and his agent met with Webb again on Thursday - the day after Mary was told that he would not be given any assurance that his position was safe - until next year.

That was when they settled on the payout figure , but you are right , it was good work by the CEO to pay only that amount .

Last edited:

jak

Bench
For a club like the Dragons that has limited success over the past 3 decades, it’s amazing how many of our ex players are in the coaching ranks.

McGregor - Out
Barrett & Brown - In
Young - Appointed interim
Fitzgibbon & Ryles - in demand & anointed as next inline Head Coaches
Hornby - Assistant under the Bennett apprenticeship

Even Flanno started his career with the Dragons as a hooker, before moving on.

Hopefully the club find the right Head Coach for 2021 to build some great foundations to take us forward & UP.
i like what tod payten has be doing the last few weeks

Mjab

Juniors
^
I may be wrong , but I am sure that one of the papers mentioned a payout of $400k ?

And if that is the case then as you have said Saint Peter , there would be more $’s available to get the best man for the job of resurrecting the Dragons .

Don’t know payout

Webster wrote that he was given a generous payout, more than they had too !!

I hope not

Gareth67

First Grade
Don’t know payout

Webster wrote that he was given a generous payout, more than they had too !!

I hope not

Mate as I said I could be wrong as I , like yourself am merely going by the reports in the media and they would vary from one journalist to another . But what is worth it’s weight in gold is that the maestro is finally of to the big paint shed . :blush:

possm

Coach
Sorry I might have missed this but because McGregor resigned does that mean we don't have to pay him or pay him out the remainder of his contract?
If this is the case then coaching options for next year are more open right? i.e. with money available.
I'm sure the agreement would have included to payout of 400k lump sum. And yeas plenty of cash there to pay a top line coach only with Millward at General Manager football (new position 500k) and Young getting Mary's old salary of 800k, all of a sudden the cooky jar is empty. I say, hire the Bellamy coaching staff at 1.75m instead; we will get more done and have greater success on and off the field.

Cam Smith to coach the Storm in 2021, Bellamy to the Dragons!

George Sancti

Juniors
I'm sure the agreement would have included to payout of 400k lump sum. And yeas plenty of cash there to pay a top line coach only with Millward at General Manager football (new position 500k) and Young getting Mary's old salary of 800k, all of a sudden the cooky jar is empty. I say, hire the Bellamy coaching staff at 1.75m instead; we will get more done and have greater success on and off the field.

Cam Smith to coach the Storm in 2021, Bellamy to the Dragons!

You always aim high Possm.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Possm
How do you know their paying Dean Young 800K ?
I reckon he would do it for a lot less.
The CEO would be aware of this and would be mad to pay him with the full coaches salary when he is only in a relieving role.

possm

Coach
Possm
How do you know their paying Dean Young 800K ?
I reckon he would do it for a lot less.
The CEO would be aware of this and would be mad to pay him with the full coaches salary when he is only in a relieving role.
Sorry, I meant to refer to next year if/when he is appointed and Millward takes up the new position of Football Manager. Contrasting the money spent against that of hiring Bellamy. Payments are usually kept quiet but I can assure you Dean's father would be demanding he get the same as Mary got.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints cannot get Flanagan then having him be an assistant to a rookie is not ideal. Flanagan will be allowed to coach in 2022 so why would he make a rookie look good at his job when he knows that if the rookie fails they will turn to him to give him the job in 2022. I know he will try hard to help the rookie, but how hard and if the rookie fails the rumour mill will go crazy with this notion that Flanagan is backstabbing etc.

I think the only solution is to give Flanagan the job for 2022 from now and let a rookie get a year under his belt in NRL for future job. Whether that be Young, Fitzgibbon, Ryles, etc. As a rookie looking to get experience why not take the 1 year as an apprenticeship type experience to coach in the NRL.