What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Me as well- I'd heard rumours of him losing the dressing room at Penrith but I thought these rumours may have been exaggerated to fit the Gould narrative of a falling out between the two and why he had to sack Griffin. When he talks, he does sound a bit robotic but I've been trying to be fair and keep an open mind. Shaun Wane still available?
Mate I wouldnt go on what Gould says....he got rid of Cleary once to didnt he.....my way of thinking was he got rid of Griffin because Hook wouldnt bow to his every whim

I'm glad Webster wrote this article as it sheds some light on what really happened with Griffin at the Panthers and the Broncos before that.

Griffin may appear to fit the criteria laid out by the CEO but it seems it may have been in spite of his shortcomings.

The quotes from Ben Hannant and Sowie are telling.

A creative game plan is something we have lacked for near on a decade.

A coach with rugby league-smarts is what we need and when you couple that with said criteria then Griffin, Henry and certainly Furner and Young fail to tick the boxes.

Wane does...

If Webster is attempting a serious assessment of the candidates, why does he not likewise dismiss Young's credentials?

Can't stand so-called journos writing stories to promote someone's agenda. Webster should be in marketing instead.

Straight Shooter

Dragsters

First Grade
If Webster is attempting a serious assessment of the candidates, why does he not likewise dismiss Young's credentials?

Can't stand so-called journos writing stories to promote someone's agenda. Webster should be in marketing instead.

Straight Shooter

Probably because Young isn't a serious candidate?

I think Webster hears the increased chat around Griffin and tries to temper it here.

Unlike most of the other self-serving hack journos looking for clickbait, Webster is a Dragons fan at least...

This Just In...

Juniors
Unlike most of the other self-serving hack journos looking for clickbait, Webster is a Dragons fan at least...

Webster was among those that treated McGregor with kid gloves... from memory at one point having a dig at the fans for expecting too much in spite of seven seasons of results.

Then after the decision was made, wrote that it was a year too late.

I think he's as guilty of click bait as plenty of the others... Saints fan though he may be.

I think Webster hears the increased chat around Griffin and tries to temper it here.

Unlike nearly every other Dragons fan, he has a platform but instead chooses to tow the party line.

Straight Shooter

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin scouted a young Cameron Smith — but he's no NRL coach
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports WriterLeave a comment

The Storm got their man and, weirdly, the Broncos are trying to entice Smith into one final season at the age of 37 instead of giving him a farewell tour as a one-club legend.

Griffin’s football judgement has never been in doubt but there’s a yawning difference between identifying young talent, even coaching it, and stepping up to NRL level.

On that score, he has failed at both Brisbane and Penrith. It is inconceivable that St George Illawarra are even entertaining the idea of making him their head coach from next year. But this is the Dragons so, of course, they are.

The problem with rugby league is things happen so fast that it’s easy to develop amnesia. The churn of the news cycle means seasons, scandals and sackings blur into one.

99f55941685cb45d85e0090cc6581d7284c93d5f

Phil Gould and Anthony Griffin fell out spectacularly before the coach's departure from Penrith.

People have forgotten why Penrith sacked Griffin in August 2018. The narrative spun by Griffin at the time was that he had a fall-out with then-general manager Phil Gould. Make no mistake: the pair had fallen out spectacularly by then, having not spoken for five months.

But the truth is that Gould had done his best for almost a year to suppress the unhappiness of the playing group, who quickly lost respect for the coach.

Those murmurs had started at the 2017 World Cup, which is always a hotbed of gossip among players away from their clubs and in the company of good mates.

By the time the first week of the 2018 NRL season rolled around, the noise about Griffin losing the dressing room was deafening.

Gould strongly denied it when I put it to him at the time. Perhaps he wanted to justify his decision to sign Griffin from Brisbane in the first place. Perhaps he was protecting his coach.

But, as the season progressed, it didn’t take too many phone calls to too many people to figure out how unhappy that team had become under Griffin's “headmaster” style that was applied to some and not to others.

It may have worked with young players to a point, but most NRL players are adults. They didn't appreciate being spoken to like children.

As for the game plan, it could have been written on the back of a coaster: five hit-ups, kick to the corners, screw them down in defence.

Players like Viliame Kikau were sprayed if they dared pass the ball. Witness the difference in the bullocking back-rower in the last two seasons under Ivan Cleary.

13198e8e9960d5325a7b420b057289a9673ffaa5

Griffin's 'headmaster' style put a string of Panthers players offside.Credit:Christopher Pearce

Griffin’s supporters — who also happen to be Gould’s detractors — argue Penrith were coming fifth when he was sacked. In reality, they were coming fifth despite him.

Former Penrith five-eighth Jamie Soward said at the time of Griffin’s departure: “At some stages throughout this year, they’ve played with some of the most boring game plans in the first half that I've seen from any side and only started playing their normal style or the style they’re comfortable with once they're behind.”

Griffin the front-runner for Dragons job
It was a similar story at the Broncos, where things started well in 2011 in Darren Lockyer's final year but then deteriorated into mediocrity soon after.

“Playing under him for four years were probably the toughest four years of my footy career and I was surprised he lasted this long,” former Broncos prop Ben Hannant said. “It came to the point after two or three years of doing that with the game plan that he had, man management, the way he did things, it was amateurish.”

Hopefully, Dragons directors and chief executive Ryan Webb will make some calls before they consider appointing Griffin. Their next move is one of the most significant in the club's recent history.

Some board members are said to favour David Furner, although he has also been sacked from his last two head coaching positions at Canberra and Leeds.

Others prefer interim coach Dean Young to work under Griffin. If that's the model they're considering, wouldn't it be better to keep assistant coach Shane Flanagan? At least he's won something.

It’s little surprise three of Griffin’s former players — Trent Merrin, Corey Norman and Ben Hunt — have said publicly that their old coach would be great for the club.

All three are fighting for the contracts, even their careers. Sorry, but they are not the future of the Red V. Neither is Anthony Griffin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/an...th-but-he-s-no-nrl-coach-20200831-p55r07.html

P.S thanks @citizen

Coffs dragon

Bench

It’s amazing how Griffin & Gould had a big falling out that led to his sacking & ongoing verbal stoush via the media.
Now we have Webster write this article, when him and Gus are work colleagues & mates , both employed by the Sydney Morning Herald & Channel 9.

Another case of Mates sticking up for mates, which our club is very very use too.

possm

Coach

Andrew Webster

The Storm got their man and, weirdly, the Broncos are trying to entice Smith into one final season at the age of 37 instead of giving him a farewell tour as a one-club legend.

Griffin’s football judgement has never been in doubt but there’s a yawning difference between identifying young talent, even coaching it, and stepping up to NRL level.

On that score, he has failed at both Brisbane and Penrith. It is inconceivable that St George Illawarra are even entertaining the idea of making him their head coach from next year. But this is the Dragons so, of course, they are.

The problem with rugby league is things happen so fast that it’s easy to develop amnesia. The churn of the news cycle means seasons, scandals and sackings blur into one.

Phil Gould and Anthony Griffin fell out spectacularly before the coach's departure from Penrith.

People have forgotten why Penrith sacked Griffin in August 2018. The narrative spun by Griffin at the time was that he had a fall-out with then-general manager Phil Gould. Make no mistake: the pair had fallen out spectacularly by then, having not spoken for five months.

But the truth is that Gould had done his best for almost a year to suppress the unhappiness of the playing group, who quickly lost respect for the coach.

Those murmurs had started at the 2017 World Cup, which is always a hotbed of gossip among players away from their clubs and in the company of good mates.

By the time the first week of the 2018 NRL season rolled around, the noise about Griffin losing the dressing room was deafening.

Gould strongly denied it when I put it to him at the time. Perhaps he wanted to justify his decision to sign Griffin from Brisbane in the first place. Perhaps he was protecting his coach.

But, as the season progressed, it didn’t take too many phone calls to too many people to figure out how unhappy that team had become under Griffin's “headmaster” style that was applied to some and not to others.

It may have worked with young players to a point, but most NRL players are adults. They didn't appreciate being spoken to like children.

As for the game plan, it could have been written on the back of a coaster: five hit-ups, kick to the corners, screw them down in defence.

Players like Viliame Kikau were sprayed if they dared pass the ball. Witness the difference in the bullocking back-rower in the last two seasons under Ivan Cleary.

Griffin's 'headmaster' style put a string of Panthers players offside.Credit:Christopher Pearce

Griffin’s supporters — who also happen to be Gould’s detractors — argue Penrith were coming fifth when he was sacked. In reality, they were coming fifth despite him.

Former Penrith five-eighth Jamie Soward said at the time of Griffin’s departure: “At some stages throughout this year, they’ve played with some of the most boring game plans in the first half that I've seen from any side and only started playing their normal style or the style they’re comfortable with once they're behind.”

It was a similar story at the Broncos, where things started well in 2011 in Darren Lockyer's final year but then deteriorated into mediocrity soon after.

“Playing under him for four years were probably the toughest four years of my footy career and I was surprised he lasted this long,” former Broncos prop Ben Hannant said. “It came to the point after two or three years of doing that with the game plan that he had, man management, the way he did things, it was amateurish.”

Hopefully, Dragons directors and chief executive Ryan Webb will make some calls before they consider appointing Griffin. Their next move is one of the most significant in the club's recent history.

Some board members are said to favour David Furner, although he has also been sacked from his last two head coaching positions at Canberra and Leeds.

Others prefer interim coach Dean Young to work under Griffin. If that's the model they're considering, wouldn't it be better to keep assistant coach Shane Flanagan? At least he's won something.

It’s little surprise three of Griffin’s former players — Trent Merrin, Corey Norman and Ben Hunt — have said publicly that their old coach would be great for the club.

All three are fighting for the contracts, even their careers. Sorry, but they are not the future of the Red V. Neither is Anthony Griffin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/an...th-but-he-s-no-nrl-coach-20200831-p55r07.html

P.S thanks @citizen
Where was Webster the 'Dragons Fan' during the 6 long hoord years of Mary as coach? Where is his story on the factional dealings, corrupt activity and nepotism which is rife within Dragon management? Where is the story on the decision to go with the lower offer of Gordons / WIN buyout of the Illawarra shareholding?

Wane is now my choice for head coach however, if he is not available, then Griffin is my next choice. Whoever is selected, they should be given to have a clean start and pick their own staff. Gone are the current assistants, gone are the current management staff.

redv13

Bench

Straight Shooter
On the Sunday footy show Webster was basically frothing over Dean Young to be the next coach. Mmm let’s see: 36 years old, no experience in first grade or away from Saints, assistant for many years to the honourable mcballsack, defensive coach when we leaked plenty and ran 2nd last, the only assistant to survive the whole mcballsack debacle. Mmm yeah sounds perfect, just what we need after having 9 years of complete and utter shit rammed down our throats

SAP58

Juniors
It’s amazing how Griffin & Gould had a big falling out that led to his sacking & ongoing verbal stoush via the media.
Now we have Webster write this article, when him and Gus are work colleagues & mates , both employed by the Sydney Morning Herald & Channel 9.

Another case of Mates sticking up for mates, which our club is very very use too.
As I have said previously Griffin’s credentials only increase substantially for me if he doesn’t get along with Gould. Hence why I never watch the channel 9 Broadcast of games.

St Georgio

Juniors

Andrew Webster

P.S thanks @citizen
Seriously are these fkers paid by rival clubs, Ok from all these so called expert Saints should be chasing-
Dean Young, Furner, Fitzgibbon, Let's throw Kearney in for good measures.
God Help Us
Shaun Wane Help Us!

I'm Hornby

Juniors
The more I think about this anti Griffin piece by Webster, the more I think it is a lame attempt to railroad Griffin's chances of getting the gig. Why only write this when we are close to making a coaching appointment?

Interesting that Webster is a saints fan, does he too have a mate on the board or even a mate who is a candidate for the coaching position? Would seem like his preference would be to go with Young and keep the status quo.

denis preston

First Grade
Mate I wouldnt go on what Gould says....he got rid of Cleary once to didnt he.....my way of thinking was he got rid of Griffin because Hook wouldnt bow to his every whim
But what about his style ? How his teams play ( 4 hitups & a kick) is the last thing we need.We get all excited when we hear something on the quiet about a club but these journos , particularly ones like Webster who lean towards the Dragons, they are close to the players and get the inside goss.
It's wane or the highway for me.

Latest posts