1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by thebigredv, Aug 14, 2020.

?

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

1. Shane Flanagan (if available)

17.0%
  2. Shaun Wane

24.2%
  3. Wayne Bennett

12.7%
  4. Craig Fitzgibbon

19.4%
  5. Dean Young

4.2%
  6. Geoff Toovey

4.8%
  7. Anthony Griffin

14.5%
  8. Todd Payten

1.8%
  9. Paul Green

1.2%
  1. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

[​IMG]

I'm Hornby and Mjab like this.
  2. denis preston

denis preston Bench

He knows ,like we do , of the shit of the past 8 years and i believe he has raised that Young shouldn't be coach.As far as mates on the board his piece about the club being managed like a pub side would suggest to me that he has no mates on the board !

blacksafake and Dragsters like this.
  3. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

How so ?

The fact that Im realistic and don't expect a top notch coach to come to a disjointed cellar dweller club next season.

I have said Griffin is the "type" of coach we can attract.

PS who's us ?

Blood Shot Eyes and blacksafake like this.
  4. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

5. Wittenberg

Wittenberg Juniors

Agree Objective. I suspect an ongoing feud here. Remember the enemy Griffin made when getting his team finals bound at Penrith? Mr Gould’s mates in the media seem to be falling all in line. Look I have some concerns about Griffin but why not put a similar blow torch onto the merits of Young or Furner. I don’t want our club becoming fodder for a media circus because of bad blood formed in Phil Gould’s failed five year plan.

6. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ns-savaged-by-ex-premier-20200611-p551me.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...overed-by-gould-s-review-20200602-p54yrs.html

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...truggling-nrl-club/14ni9canzjkc21nnpjzb26ntgi

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...on-about-a-year-too-late-20200813-p55lfc.html

7. possm

possm Coach

I imagine you already know that the articles you provide a link to are dated June 2020 - August 2020. After 6 years of incompetence, a little late to the dance don't you think?

The 'not enough cash' statements aren't backed by any facts. A recent article - which I don't have a link to but I'm sure someone else on here can provide - noted that the Gordon's and St George each have approximately 800m in wealth and more than enought liquidity to fund what was the 500k to sack Mary and hire a new experienced coach - Wane or Griffin.

The comment about Bennett's price being around 1m a season rings true however, you pay for what you get and the Dragons need a lot to turn around all of the mismanagement that has occurred over a very long time.

The indications are good now as the Club has not signed any new players for 2021, the Board seems to be waiting until the new coach and his staff have a good look at what they need for 2021 and beyond.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  8. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

possm...there are other articles....I am currently @ work....do a google search yourself and you will find that Mr Webster has at times called out our club. Have a good day.

9. possm

possm Coach

Thank you, I will take a look.

getsmarty likes this.
  10. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

11. ChocOConnor

ChocOConnor Juniors

Yes the Gordon’s are worth somewhere is the vicinity of 800 million

And the St George leagues club is a powerful entity with hundreds of millions in assets and I thinking I’m not wrong 60 million in cash in bank and debt free.

12. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

Griffin = back to square one.
    I hope we don’t get saddled with this dinosaur.

13. St Georgio

St Georgio Juniors

Out of Curiosity who's your Choice?

14. possm

possm Coach

Who ever we get will have to be a magician to turn around this Dragons outfit. With plans to sign De Belin if he wins his legal case and then move McInnes back to hooker and Hunt to five-eighth, our new coach will have his hands full for sure.

For me, I'd rather we off-load both Norman and Hunt and use Clune and Dufty in the halves to begin with. If Dufty does not do well there then try a Clune / Sullivan pairing.

Surely with a number of good young outside backs coming through, out attention must be drawn to refreshing our forward pack. Those forwards who should be let go are K Sims, Merrin, Lawrie and Ellis. With Frizell not with us in 2021 and if De Belin can be selected in 2021, we will need at least two top grade props and a top grade second row forward.

If Ramsey and later Schiller are brought into first grade through a wing position, I'd say we need a top grade fullback on a two year deal as well.

Plenty of work for a new coach to do.

15. Mjab

Mjab Juniors

Whoever gets us has a lot of work to do regardless

the roster isnt the best and we have a few big $ players we get very little from

Many friends asked in past who Id have and I just used to say any one but Mary I dont care
    now mary has gone I think I would add No Young as well

we are left with a string of 2nd tier coaches all with potential issues and significant downsides and I suspect no one will really be perfect or even get us close to a premiership any time soon.

I guess at least its not Mary and I dont want to punch the TV screen as much as before

Wane would at least be free of any horrendous baggage and rumor and may drag some serious ESL talent across but Im just not hearing his name mentioned in media enough and suspect this would be a real shock. He did apply warriors and Cows , BUT ?not us . Says a lot about our club and roster or have we even tried hard to chase him?

all there others have been sacked prob for good reasons Ive been told by people at other clubs , who do know esp Griffin. Furner sacked from an ESL , thats Not good

Henry ?? I have liked him but hasnt done that much for a while

Bennett ? too old now and the games moved on , I suspect JD does most of the actual work there

Anyway better than MARY

just dont sign any of these 2nd tier dudes for a long contract and please have KPIs
    Is this actually asking too much, hopefully Webb has some sense here

16. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

If our club seems to disregard Shaun Wane as a genuine choice then the cupboard is considerably bare. If it’s down to 3 applicants only being Griffin, Furner & Henry, then I really think Neil Henry has the best credentials as a tactician to improve our team.
    From his Wikipedia bio:

He was previously the assistant coach of the North Queensland Cowboysbetween 2002 and 2006, and assistant to Mal Meninga in the QueenslandState of Origin team from 2006–2009.
    In his first season as an NRL head coach, Henry incurred a fine of $10,000 for the Raiders by questioning the impartiality of the referee following a round 19 loss to Melbourne Storm in 2007.[6]

Henry was named Dally M Coach of the Year for 2008, ahead of other nominees Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler.[7]

I recall how he was the brains trust & master tactician for Mal Meninga during the QLD golden period. He has the smarts, but unfortunately his club record was not helped by the clubs he coached that were bottom dwellers. He did however improve them during his reign.
    Certainly a coach that encourages attacking style of play and not hit up boring crap.

ALSGI and Dennis Papaioannou like this.
  17. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

Fitzgibbon - has the right pedigree.
    I know he’s said he won’t break contract but go after him as if we really mean it.
    Bennett - any day would welcome him back.
    Toovey - great footy brain and totally passionate about what he does.
    Something we totally lack.
    Come on let’s be serious.
    There are plenty of alternatives to coaches like Griffin and McGuire.
    “Old school” in today’s game gets trumped by smart coaches.
    We need something better.

Gareth67 and merahputih like this.
  18. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

Wane over that lot of dead wood for sure.

19. possm

possm Coach

Ok then, Wane as head coach and Henry as assistant coach.

Mjab, Gareth67, St Georgio and 2 others like this.
  20. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

I like that Possm and probably the best case scenario of what’s left and who’s willing to join the Dragons.