What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

HenryTatana

Juniors
Just finished watching nrl 360. All think that the appointment is good and will be a big positive for the club. Absolutely bagged Fairfax and Nine (Webster and Gus) for the slanderous campaign last week to discredit him.

As a hater of News Limited and a very strong Fairfax supporter, Webster just blew my mind last week with his two pieces. Very disappointed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

redVinme

Juniors
That's why he missed the job. Just like two journos on NRL 360 who think our roster is top 8 material. Sorry missing hard nut forwards and greasey backs plus a fullback. Oh yeah the halves need a shake up. There now we are top eight.

Yeh what a load of shit. Ikin sugar coated it but he is right tell me one player in our team that is currently even in the top 5 of their position.

I can't think of any

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yeh what a load of shit. Ikin sugar coated it but he is right tell me one player in our team that is currently even in the top 5 of their position.

I can't think of any
McInnes is at hooker IMO, that’s it. Lomax will be the best or at least in the top 3 or so in 3-4 years time but not right now.

redVinme

Juniors
McInnes is at hooker IMO, that’s it. Lomax will be the best or at least in the top 3 or so in 3-4 years time but not right now.

I love Mcinnes but honestly

Cam smith
Josh hodgson
Harry Grant
Api
Brandon Smith

Probably all ahead on hooker play and vision.

That said a good coach could really unlock him and put him in the top few I agree

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I love Mcinnes but honestly

Cam smith
Josh hodgson
Harry Grant
Api
Brandon Smith

Probably all ahead on hooker play and vision.

That said a good coach could really unlock him and put him in the top few I agree
Cam Smith will be retired when Hook takes over, if put him ahead of Brandon Smith in hooker play, probably equal with Api, they both have different strengths and Hodgson I rate as the best of all of them with Cameron Smith getting on but he’s hardly on the park. Harry Grant may be awesome but he needs to do it for a few years. McInnes was starting to kick a bit last season and add some things. He made over 200 metres yesterday and a truckload of tackles at lock. If he uses the running game more and keeps working on his kicks he will be right up there and is origin and premiership material. We need a heap of talent around him though most importantly some good forwards to play behind.

redVinme

Juniors
Cam Smith will be retired when Hook takes over, if put him ahead of Brandon Smith in hooker play, probably equal with Api, they both have different strengths and Hodgson I rate as the best of all of them with Cameron Smith getting on but he’s hardly on the park. Harry Grant may be awesome but he needs to do it for a few years. McInnes was starting to kick a bit last season and add some things. He made over 200 metres yesterday and a truckload of tackles at lock. If he uses the running game more and keeps working on his kicks he will be right up there and is origin and premiership material. We need a heap of talent around him though most importantly some good forwards to play behind.

Good post.

Can't underestimate how much harder it must be to play at hooker off the back foot. Easy to say run more but it's not often he would even get the chance.

Now the coach is settled of we can't pull a fast one and pick someone up that is on contract I'd be happy if we got Hetherington and maybe Joe o. With Vaughn and Kerr that would get us moving.

Ideally though I'd want someone more in the afb/Paulo mould. A real bully.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Just finished watching nrl 360. All think that the appointment is good and will be a big positive for the club. Absolutely bagged Fairfax and Nine (Webster and Gus) for the slanderous campaign last week to discredit him.

As a hater of News Limited and a very strong Fairfax supporter, Webster just blew my mind last week with his two pieces. Very disappointed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Spot on. Also funny how Soward was quoted criticising his coaching last week and now has a video on nrl.com saying it's a good appointment!

Great to see some members on here let their personal political bug bears with Griffin go and back him as the coach.

We've got 2 years with a good quality coach and let's hope we can see a big turnaround in our fortunes with Hook on board.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Good post.

Can't underestimate how much harder it must be to play at hooker off the back foot. Easy to say run more but it's not often he would even get the chance.

Now the coach is settled of we can't pull a fast one and pick someone up that is on contract I'd be happy if we got Hetherington and maybe Joe o. With Vaughn and Kerr that would get us moving.

Ideally though I'd want someone more in the afb/Paulo mould. A real bully.
No doubt we really need forwards, who knows Hunt may even start really showing his wares behind a good pack. There isn’t any forwards like that on the market though. But all it takes is one good signing ala Ponga at the Knights and other signings may start to flow. I’d be tempted to try to use Saab as a bargaining chip for a player swap for a young beast.

redVinme

Juniors
No doubt we really need forwards, who knows Hunt may even start really showing his wares behind a good pack. There isn’t any forwards like that on the market though. But all it takes is one good signing ala Ponga at the Knights and other signings may start to flow. I’d be tempted to try to use Saab as a bargaining chip for a player swap for a young beast.

Wasn't the rumour Garrick coming home. Talk about a sideways step.

What I would do for stephen Crichton.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Sensible appointment. He will do well as long as you don’t expect him to deliver a premiership in two seasons. It is all about baby steps and making progress.
I think what we all would like is the team to play good footy that’s all and it’s a start the rest can come later:thumbsup:

getsmarty

Immortal
t
griffina-emotional-11091791-b.jpeg

COACH

Dragons appoint Anthony Griffin as head coach
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 7 Sep 2020, 06:14 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/07/dragons-appoint-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons announce Anthony Griffin as new head coach

Australian Associated Press
Yahoo Sport Australia7 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm
466c7900-f0f1-11ea-baff-eb7a6c53ab5e

Former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin has been announced as the new head coach of the Dragons. (Getty Images)
Anthony Griffin will be St George Illawarra's next coach[/a] after beating out Dean Young and David Furner for the top job at the Dragons.

The Red V confirmed on Monday night Griffin would replace Paul McGregor in a full-time capacity, taking the reins from next season on a two-year deal.

The announcement marks Griffin's first full return to coaching since being sacked by Penrith midway through 2018.

His appointment came with the support of both the WIN and St George sides of the board, with unanimous backing required for any head coach selection.

"Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," CEO Ryan Webb said.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin’s defensive record crucial in appointment
The early frontrunner for the role, Griffin wowed the Dragons in a lengthy Zoom interview last Wednesday.

His defensive record as a coach is believed to have been crucial to that.

With the Dragons having fallen away defensively in the past two seasons, a heavy emphasis was put on that area of the game.

Griffin has a 55.5 per cent winning record as a coach, but has crucially never had a team concede an average of more than 20 points a game in one season.

The Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons #redv

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) September 7, 2020
The bigger question marks have surrounded his attack, with the common knock on his time at Penrith being that they weren't allowed to play expansive football.

However, Griffin has experience working with two of the Dragons' most important attacking weapons in Ben Hunt and Corey Norman, having brought them both through the grades at Brisbane.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I'm excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks."

Meanwhile it remains to be seen if Young will stay on as an assistant, however, he has worked alongside Griffin as part of the Tongan set up.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-dragons-announce-anthony-griffin-coach-100743474.html

SAP58

Juniors
I was listening to John Stanley on radio late last night and as we all know he is a Dragons tragic. He stated that he made his own enquires about Griffin Including his contacts at Penrith that he trusts would not string him a line. He said he was pleased to hear the feedback and there was nothing that backed up Websters comments.