What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I must admit Dean learnt from the master regarding press conferences......blunt, tough talking and promising action......media respond that he ‘has a refreshing approach’ .....’tells it like it is’....,classic Mary. Oh the team is supportive of him and respond to his ‘ honesty and man management’ ......god save us all.
Interesting, I found it a bit average. I’ve enjoyed listening to Young as a preference to McGregor discourse so far, but “ same shit different day” ..he’s still representing the club, sponsors etc, and in my opinion should be better than that, irrespective of the statement’s truth.

George Dragon

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/07/dragons-appoint-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/

st shaneoh

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/07/dragons-appoint-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/
Good to see they made a decision
Hopefully he has some input into selecting the team for next few weeks

ALSGI

Bench

Well that’s some positive news we are desperate for.
I’m feeling better about 2021 already.

TruSaint

Referee
Sensible appointment. He will do well as long as you don’t expect him to deliver a premiership in two seasons. It is all about baby steps and making progress.

Yeah, well said.

I thought he would get the job, but as I posted numerous times we are not " at present " in a premiership window.

He has 2 years to show he can handle the job, and bring some discipline.

Dragsters

First Grade
Whilst I would have liked to see what Shaun Wane could have done with this club, Griffin is of a similar mould in that he is an experienced disciplinarian and we all know that is what is needed here right now.

Congratulations Anthony and welcome to...

THE MIGHTY DRAGONS!!!

borat

Bench
Firstly Borat, it was Furner’s brother that was CEO at the Raiders , whom had to sack him for not bringing success just like Mal Meninga as previous coach..
In regards to the Leeds failure in the ESL, they were a team on the slide downwards.
I’m not saying Furner is the right answer, based purely on his success rate.

What I do believe is he is a hell of a lot better than Price, McGregor and Young whom have zero experience outside of the pigs trough sheltered work shop.

At least Furner left his comfort zone of Canberra & his family connection to learn and improve himself at other clubs.
He’s an improvement on our L-Plate inbreeds.
Moot point now......but you call getting sacked after years of under achievement......that “he just left”........ok

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Let’s see if we can sign some players now and if anyone leaves. He give Seggy the arse at Penrith which I thought was stupid, turned out a good move.

borat

Bench
Ahhhhhhh nothing like the positivity of a new coaching appointment. This will last all of a week.

the best you can say about Griffin is that he is the least worst option. Just