What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons considering dropping “Illawarra” from their name

Gareth67

First Grade
They are still around. I played for Scots in 91 when we were struggling to field a A grade side. Some days we had 12 players and were beaten 50+ 0 etc
Scots just provided a SG Ball promoted to Jersey Flegg player at the Dragons in 2022 in Nick Tsougranis who plays backrow
Thank you BLMO1 , I thought that they were in the second division comp. as were Wentworthville , a junior nursery to Parramatta . However I forget that most things change as the decades go by .

Old Timer

Coach
They are still around. I played for Scots in 91 when we were struggling to field a A grade side. Some days we had 12 players and were beaten 50+ 0 etc
Scots just provided a SG Ball promoted to Jersey Flegg player at the Dragons in 2022 in Nick Tsougranis who plays backrow
Loved playing at Cahill Park in the 60's and 70's.
Scots were a powerhouse back in those days and we loved getting a win over them.
So sad to see the decline & in some cases demise of so many great junior clubs.

Qdf

Juniors
Having Illawarra in the name means we serve 2 masters which makes us a bigger basket case.
What do those sad sack Gordon's do anyway. They don't seem to supply any football knowledge, or any financial support, so what do they add to our clubs situation? The Gordon's are only part of our club because they wanted to recoup the $6m loan to the illawara.

Old Timer

Coach
What do those sad sack Gordon's do anyway. They don't seem to supply any football knowledge, or any financial support, so what do they add to our clubs situation? The Gordon's are only part of our club because they wanted to recoup the $6m loan to the illawara.
Well when someone from down that way can tell me that I will be all the wiser.

There is no doubt the St George side of things were errant in their handling of all of this and plenty of blame rests at their doorstep but as I keep asking / pontificating / ranting what is the "attraction" in letting Kogarah go and being based at Wollongong?

Wollongong has done absolutely nothing to warrant an icon such as St George leaving all of its home, traditions and history behind.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Well when someone from down that way can tell me that I will be all the wiser.

There is no doubt the St George side of things were errant in their handling of all of this and plenty of blame rests at their doorstep but as I keep asking / pontificating / ranting what is the "attraction" in letting Kogarah go and being based at Wollongong?

Wollongong has done absolutely nothing to warrant an icon such as St George leaving all of its home, traditions and history behind.
The Gordons are the problem, not having Illawarra in the name. I only hope the new Gordon on the Board is a lot more interested and proactive than Andrew ever was.

denis preston

First Grade
Thank you BLMO1 , I thought that they were in the second division comp. as were Wentworthville , a junior nursery to Parramatta . However I forget that most things change as the decades go by .
Arncliffe Scots we’re so strong in the 60s they even had first & second grade sides in the second division.unfortunately cultural changes in the area forced the licensed club to close.

I try to go and watch as much of the old "A" grade as i can each season.Theres virtually no teams in the St George area anymore. Penshurst RSL,Kingsgrove Colts,Riverwood, Renown,Hurstville United used to have A grade teams, but i dont think there were many left last year. Most of the teams in the "Combined" comp come from the Cronulla area and have been for a few years now. Apart from the Penrith area, most are combined area comps across Sydney now. Most kids in the greater Sydney area seem to get to U16 and finish there. Theres plenty down in Illawarra so whether we like it or not (and i hate it) most of our future juniors will come from the Illawarra. The large migrant intake to many areas of Sydney has converted them to Soccer areas now (dont we know it in the St George area-try even finding a rugby league oval anymore). Times have changed and league is really battling in the whole of Sydney now. We are really lucky that so many Polynesians have come here and play league. Look at most teams and remove the Polynesians and see what you have left. Now you see why Penrith are doing so well. I love watching A grade but i fear in a few years time, there'll be nothing left to see anywhere near where i live. St George really needs to do something to address this, but i wonder if they care anymore when we have Illawarra.
Just my thoughts

BLM01

First Grade
The Scots club is still open
Their Juniors is as strong as before. They still have Seniors teams under 20's
I try to go and watch as much of the old "A" grade as i can each season.Theres virtually no teams in the St George area anymore. Penshurst RSL,Kingsgrove Colts,Riverwood, Renown,Hurstville United used to have A grade teams, but i dont think there were many left last year. Most of the teams in the "Combined" comp come from the Cronulla area and have been for a few years now. Apart from the Penrith area, most are combined area comps across Sydney now. Most kids in the greater Sydney area seem to get to U16 and finish there. Theres plenty down in Illawarra so whether we like it or not (and i hate it) most of our future juniors will come from the Illawarra. The large migrant intake to many areas of Sydney has converted them to Soccer areas now (dont we know it in the St George area-try even finding a rugby league oval anymore). Times have changed and league is really battling in the whole of Sydney now. We are really lucky that so many Polynesians have come here and play league. Look at most teams and remove the Polynesians and see what you have left. Now you see why Penrith are doing so well. I love watching A grade but i fear in a few years time, there'll be nothing left to see anywhere near where i live. St George really needs to do something to address this, but i wonder if they care anymore when we have Illawarra.
Just my thoughts
It is not just a St george or Sydney thing. It is a NSW problem (or even QLD?) across the board and you can thank the NRL for that with their billions not spent on lower or junior tiers when they needed it most across all comps and areas throwing everything at elite level and still are
It is not easy these days to get enough volunteers to run clubs and then turn around to chase many sponsorships to even pay players in an A grade or 1st grade environment in metro or country areas who expect hefty match payments with little input. Why is that I wonder!.
So many amateur clubs fall away because of it. I can speak from experience re that coming from Group 6 and now part of Group 7 club.
Geez it is even a struggle for some clubs at NRL level and they get gifted some funding.
Has the culture shifted that much between a professional and amateur. Probably.
You talk about Penrith. Go speak to Lower Blue Mountains players / clubs and see how many teams they have let fall between the cracks for all juniors pinched and pushed through or to be funnelled through the Penrith Panthers academy system.
Is the Polynesian influence a good or bad thing? I dont have an opinion either way but the game went through a period (5-15 years ago) where it needed players as rules were adapted to favour bigger sized athletes (wrestle) more than league skillset which affected all levels and ages which ever race, creed or colour played the game.
The NRL heirarchy are now trying to back peddle very slowly and patch things away from that but may be too late as it would need a whole mentality shift.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Arncliffe Scots we’re so strong in the 60s they even had first & second grade sides in the second division.unfortunately cultural changes in the area forced the licensed club to close.
I thought so Dennis , their teams were very good as I do recall them winning their comps. on a regular basis back then .

However I do understand how the cultural change would affect the club , mainly soccer now or perhaps Aussie Rules ? Still sad to see how much has actually changed over the years .

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Loved playing at Cahill Park in the 60's and 70's.
Scots were a powerhouse back in those days and we loved getting a win over them.
So sad to see the decline & in some cases demise of so many great junior clubs.
I used to play for Bexley Kingsgrove in the mid 70s and remember playing against Scots at Cahill Park. If it rained and dried up you needed a skin graft if you happened to get tackled on the cricket pitch area.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A better fate than the current situation
See I find this kind of viewpoint disappointing.

We were sold the dream, that St George would provide a proud history & drive to succeed that would benefit the rich nursery of the south coast..

Instead we have a reality where St George would be happier to play NSW cup than to help build their premiership tally on the coat tails of Illawarra success..

It’s a shame, but perhaps we do have to cut the deadweight free & just focus on the future of the Illawarra Dragons..

And to think of all the time & effort I’ve put in to St George as a brand..

We were sold the dream, that St George would provide a proud history & drive to succeed that would benefit the rich nursery of the south coast..

Instead we have a reality where St George would be happier to play NSW cup than to help build their premiership tally on the coat tails of Illawarra success..

It’s a shame, but perhaps we do have to cut the deadweight free & just focus on the future of the Illawarra Dragons..

It’s not an indictment on St George or Illawarra Muz.

You see the St George brand relates to the history of an area that has changed and will never return to its previous demographics.

The brand lives in the minds of people of my generation. When we older supporters die out, so will the brand.

Illawarra is a wonderful area but has never ever been a Sydney/NSW/NRL footy powerhouse and most likely never will be. It resembles the culture of the Gold Coast franchise. Great beachside holiday location. Nothing more nothing less.

My preferences are:

1. We revert to St George Dragons; or

2. The licence holders call the team “Illawarra Saints” and wear the red V full time.

Old Timer

Coach

"Illawarra success" you say please enlighten us.

Premierships ?
SOO reps whilst playing in the IIllawarra / Steelers jumper ?
Australian reps whilst playing in the IIllawarra / Steelers jumper ?
TPA's for elite players ?
Elite players signed from other clubs ?
Financial security ?

For the record whilst we have people pointing the finger at nepotism within the St George ranks no fingers are pointed at the nepotism within the Illawarra ranks nor their complete inability to keep a club afloat in what some people deem is a "far better" location.