What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon's Den: Peter Doust

Godz Illa

Coach
We don't know when it was recorded, but regarding Dugan, I found it interesting that the Doustmeister's tone seemed to be more one of disappointment that he didn't sign the first time around.

willzy91

Juniors
We don't know when it was recorded, but regarding Dugan, I found it interesting that the Doustmeister's tone seemed to be more one of disappointment that he didn't sign the first time around.

yeah i think he has definitely hinted that he wants to replace the injuries that we have gotten already this season with some mid-season purchases. Also stating that they have money in place to purchase these players as well, its just a matter of getting past the little agreement issues that both players have. I would say we will have both Dugan and Chase either next week or the week after.

TheRev

First Grade

Yep totally, tbh it sounded like he expected the Dragons Brand to do the talking for him around Dugen, regardless of our performances on the field... I dont think hes exactly in touch with Gen Y!

The bit I thought was ridiculous though was blaming the early retirement of 3 players for 2013 as to why we were in crisis, I think all retirements were pretty obvious ahead of time, and all of them were on their last legs (Young especially), I dont think there is any excuse for skipping out on recruitment these past few years, obviously Cronk was one of the targets that feel through, which is a 600-700k gap.

Tbh in 30 years supporting the Dragons, ive never seen us go on a recruitment drive like this, I think this might be the first time we genuinely found ourselves in a talent crisis, and it took Doust and co 12-18mths to realise... granted that 2013 and the salary cap and loyalty system is a far reach from the old days.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Yep totally, tbh it sounded like he expected the Dragons Brand to do the talking for him around Dugen, regardless of our performances on the field... I dont think hes exactly in touch with Gen Y!

The bit I thought was ridiculous though was blaming the early retirement of 3 players for 2013 as to why we were in crisis, I think all retirements were pretty obvious ahead of time, and all of them were on their last legs (Young especially), I dont think there is any excuse for skipping out on recruitment these past few years, obviously Cronk was one of the targets that feel through, which is a 600-700k gap.

Tbh in 30 years supporting the Dragons, ive never seen us go on a recruitment drive like this, I think this might be the first time we genuinely found ourselves in a talent crisis, and it took Doust and co 12-18mths to realise... granted that 2013 and the salary cap and loyalty system is a far reach from the old days.

You need to remember that we were hunting and very close to snaring Bellamy and that he would have both had a player roster agenda and the ability to pull elite players to the club.
I know that what he said about Kyle Stanley being pivotal (pardon) was true.

So when it became obvious that Bellamy was out of the picture and Price redeemed himself to a degree, Doust and Albert ramped up recruitment and you?d have to say, have been pretty successful in so doing.

Dugan has been in our sights for more than a year but only now (apparently) have the forces of nature aligned to seem him join the club. Rangi Chase is definitely in the mix.

The signings of Widdop, Thompson, Farrell and Dugan (assuming he?s in) are all very capable players so you?d be entitled to believe that Mike Cooper is also a good buy.

Farrell was a Culburra Dolphin like Quinlan and Jack Buchannan for that matter so it?s more like one of our own coming home.

TheRev

First Grade
Yeah I really like that the players we are going after are actually dragons juniors in some way, coming back home... much prefer that...

And yep agree on the Bellamy play, it was a bit of an all or nothing move, I wish there had of been a Plan B, but it is tough.. you cant seriously talk to other players when your courting Bellamy at the same time, but we were still definitely short on our roster in 2013, Kyle Stanley has had all of 5 minutes in the halves and he was our go to player for this year?

Godz Illa

Coach
The Bennett years also had a part to play, as we've discussed on here before. We won the comp, making it all worthwhile, but in the process a lot of our young talent were let go, and the development/succession process took a hit. All this together necessitates the recruitment drive we're seeing now.

edit - it also seems pretty obvious that any sentimentality about 2010 is well and truly gone. Soward moved on, and other big decisions pending around members of that team. The club is looking ahead

Last edited:
Rangi Chase is being held up by Castleford trying to swindle more money from the Dragons they are pretty much broke and need the transfer fee if the rumours I have heard are true about the 400-500 mark that's ridiculous.

At that Price you go after Williams or Townsend even Robson as a fill in till Crook is ready and he will be in a year or two after an off season training with the first grade team next year.

Dugan is a funny one Doust certainly wasn't happy he decided the Broncos over us then that blew up in Dugan's face now they go back to the well try again this time the NRL is showing its hand by slowing the process down so he doesn't make them look like fools if he acts up again.

I see these two contract negotiations dragging on while others that have already happen and others that will happen will be smooth.

Cagey Mac

Bench
The Bennett years also had a part to play, as we've discussed on here before. We won the comp, making it all worthwhile, but in the process a lot of our young talent were let go, and the development/succession process took a hit. All this together necessitates the recruitment drive we're seeing now.

edit - it also seems pretty obvious that any sentimentality about 2010 is well and truly gone. Soward moved on, and other big decisions pending around members of that team. The club is looking ahead

Great point Godzy. Bennett swept in with bunch of preferred signings and left with them and a others including Scott and McKinnon. When you consider from 2010 that Smith, Costigan, Boyd, Scott, Gasnier and now Sowie are gone and that Coops and Fein will most likely retire. Renaissance is certainly the order of the day and so far the club appears to making very sound decisions.

STG 002

First Grade
Great point Godzy. Bennett swept in with bunch of preferred signings and left with them and a others including Scott and McKinnon. When you consider from 2010 that Smith, Costigan, Boyd, Scott, Gasnier and now Sowie are gone and that Coops and Fein will most likely retire. Renaissance is certainly the order of the day and so far the club appears to making very sound decisions.

i second your thoughts. we had great up and comers - whare, mackinnon, linnett, beau henry - numerous others.
bennett came for the quick kill and succeeded and left knowing we'd fall in a heap fast.
we've dug out of it well now.

TheRev

First Grade
Hmm we kept most of our junior talent, lost a couple.. Henry turned out to be a flop, which is teh case with so many young halves.. seems like such a big jump to make it in 1st grade.

BennyV

Referee
Hmm we kept most of our junior talent, lost a couple.. Henry turned out to be a flop, which is teh case with so many young halves.. seems like such a big jump to make it in 1st grade.

Agreed. I think the halves require more maturity and experience than any other position. You need to not only be able to read the game but also have the confidence to direct your team around. Guys like Reynolds and Cherry Evans even had to wait a few years after graduating from NYC, and even then were given a very simple game plan to ease them in (moreso Reynolds) and they need top players around them to make it work. Hence, I dont mind what we are doing with Drinkwater at this stage...

Mr Red

First Grade

out of interest do you have a list of all the "junior talent" we lost in 2010/2011?

i would be interested to see which of this talent has gone onto bigger and better things elsewhere the last 3 years....

Godz Illa

Coach
Of the Bennett era the key young losses were in the backs: Josh Morris, Linnett, Whare, Faifai Loa. Beau Henry & Rangi Chase in the halves. Lagi Setu in the forwards

HDragonsFan

Juniors
Rangi Chase is being held up by Castleford trying to swindle more money from the Dragons they are pretty much broke and need the transfer fee if the rumours I have heard are true about the 400-500 mark that's ridiculous.

At that Price you go after Williams or Townsend even Robson as a fill in till Crook is ready and he will be in a year or two after an off season training with the first grade team next year.

Dugan is a funny one Doust certainly wasn't happy he decided the Broncos over us then that blew up in Dugan's face now they go back to the well try again this time the NRL is showing its hand by slowing the process down so he doesn't make them look like fools if he acts up again.

I see these two contract negotiations dragging on while others that have already happen and others that will happen will be smooth.

Is a transfer fee the issue? I heard Rangi needed to settle money owed to his former manager before he could sign a new contract?

bottle

Coach
Both issues seem to be bubbling along, so it could be a column A / column B thing.

inside_pass

Bench
I think Doust and Young had Bellamy in their sights a fair while ago and didn't really sign to many players thinking they would get him and he would then have room in the cap to bring in who he wanted.
Anyway it backfired in their faces and we ended up with an average roster that we are only now starting to fix in regards to recent signings.

gorilla

First Grade

Rev, the largest ships can take a while to turn around if the change is kept too long.

Mr Red

First Grade
Of the Bennett era the key young losses were in the backs: Josh Morris, Linnett, Whare, Faifai Loa. Beau Henry & Rangi Chase in the halves. Lagi Setu in the forwards

pretty certain Morris leaving was more to gasnier staying rather then anything to do with Bennett.
and when you have an international backline such as B Moz, Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale you will always lose some other backs irrespective of the coach.
Beau Henry..LOL

Rangi Chase is an intersting one though... given current form yeah i think we could have kept him, but playing under Nathan Brown he wasnt really delivering much so i can understand Bennett not wanting to keep him.

Lagi Setu we would have lost for 2 years anyway due to his Mormon mission requirements..

so all in all i dont see how Bennett caused much of the above really, i think its just at the time we had a world class backline so players simply left looking for a chance elsewhere..
i think the real problems occurred 2 years later in the second half of 2011 where some of the players such as Hornby, Fien, Cooper, Young were all showing signs of starting to struggle week in week out at NRL level. the warning signs were starting to appear, however the club has failed to do anything about it until this season... 2 years too late IMO.