What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons jumpers - WTF?

gregstar

Referee
no it seems they wear the steelers heritage jersey once a year. they've done this since '04.

apparently the jersey was to commemorate the 1978 illawarra team that played in the amco cup.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Oh ok then cheers fellas. Thought i heard somewhere that the "Red V" was only going to be worn at Kogarah and the "Steelers" were going to be worn in Wollongong.

sydraider

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Oh ok then cheers fellas. Thought i heard somewhere that the "Red V" was only going to be worn at Kogarah and the "Steelers" were going to be worn in Wollongong.

I think they should wear the illawarra strip at every WIN game but the Red V everywhere else.

*Paul*

Juniors
Jobdog said:
I missed it, anyone got a pic of it?
bscap0000.jpg

Danish

Referee
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Nope, they wore that jersey today because it was Illawarra Heritage Day.

That jersey is supposed to somehow have links to the Steelers??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Danish said:
That jersey is supposed to somehow have links to the Steelers??
Sort of.
I understand the Club renamed it 'Illawarra Heritage Day' (as opposed to 'Steelers Heritage Day') to provide wider appeal / recognition to football contributions from the entire Illawarra community, not just the Steelers.

More or less. If it isn't clear already, that is our 2006 alternate jersey. Although out alternate jerseys barely ever get used. The exception being the odd Bulldogs, Wests Tigers or Manly game.

It isn't meant to be a replica of the Steelers jersey. Rather, it's meant to be our alternate jersey inspired or influenced by the Steelers jersey.

If that makes sense.

gregstar

Referee
apparently the 1978 illawarra representatives were introduced to the crowd.

they were semi-finalists in the amco cup & included players such as slippery steve & ross henricks

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo said:
Im good Gregstar, got 5/7 this week, including picking the dragqueens!!
Well we dodged that bullet. If you had of backed the Dragons then we would have something to worry about.
Moffo said:
A team with good forwards would've slaughtered yer team today though
LOL. Yeah, those Webcke and Civoniceva fellas have got nothing going for them. ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And they speak highly of you as well Moff.

Actually I thought the Broncs looked their best when Webcke was on the field. And they certainly looked the goods in the first half. Granted, not enough interchanges for the older fellas though... the younger forwards won out in the end.

nqboy

First Grade
I would have preferred more of an Illawarra scarlet than the St George red they wore.

The Adidas stripes - yuk. Bring back the Steelers stripes. But, I guess, who pays the piper calls the tune. Money talks.

Latest posts