What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dragons line up vs eels

Mr Red

First Grade
Aww c'monnn... the la-la sector of the andromeda galaxy in the parallel universe is home to many coaching and other great legends. It's where Freddi Fittler got his coaching licence for example, along with Darren Lockyer's voice for commentary, both graduating from the same academy as Jar Jar Binks back in the early nineties - AND, runour has it, it's where Boney M's Nightflight to Venus oriiginally took off.

:D:D

BennyV

Referee
However, [Rein] is fighting to be fit for Saturday night’s clash with Parramatta at WIN Stadium.

Rolling his ankle in the final moments of the 15-14 loss to the Gold Coast, Rein missed training in Wollongong on Wednesday and will attempt to prove his fitness on Friday.

‘‘The coach will give me up to kick off to prove my fitness, but it’s coming along pretty well,’’ he said.

See your ad here
‘‘I’m feeling confident, but we’ll see how we go.

‘‘Running on Friday, that’s the goal.

‘‘I’ve just been off my feet, doing a bit of rehab and cardio, but the ankle is holding up fine and the rehab is going sweet.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...leader/?cs=302

No wonder Soward never gets injured he never runs, passes to a guy who gets smashed and lays down in tackles well done Sowie good game plan.

Fien isn't a half that's no shock but he has more guts than Soward has a spine.

krispyredv

Juniors
However, [Rein] is fighting to be fit for Saturday night?s clash with Parramatta at WIN Stadium.

Rolling his ankle in the final moments of the 15-14 loss to the Gold Coast, Rein missed training in Wollongong on Wednesday and will attempt to prove his fitness on Friday.

??The coach will give me up to kick off to prove my fitness, but it?s coming along pretty well,?? he said.

See your ad here
??I?m feeling confident, but we?ll see how we go.

??Running on Friday, that?s the goal.

??I?ve just been off my feet, doing a bit of rehab and cardio, but the ankle is holding up fine and the rehab is going sweet.??

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...leader/?cs=302

If Rein doesn't run on Friday and fails the fitness test, we might get to see Drinkwater again on the bench with Cam king as the starting hooker.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Why would Price pick Quinlan at 5/8, when he can keep picking Soward and if they lose blame him for not putting in.

Everyone saw how good Quinlan can go and is definaletly ready for NRL. If that flick pass assist did not impress him enough to give him a run nothing will.

bottle

Coach
You do come up with some shit Slip.
Show us where Price has blamed Soward for not putting in? Some on here have, I haven't seen anything suggesting Price has.

One flick pass doesn't make a bloke an 80 minute 5/8 btw. Throwing him in there when not ready could burn him out at best, ruin him at worst.
Thankfully you're not the coach.

gypsy

Bench
agree if he was playing hooker, but playing halfback defending just inside the winger he doesnt have to put his body on the line very much anymore.. combined with no running at the line and to the point this is why i think he isnt injured as yet this season.

Fien actually ran a bit against the Titans, he played direct for the most part as well (obviously with the exception of Nightingale's first try).

CarssDragon

Juniors
Could say we have been lucky to hit a few injuries, as has forced Price to test new players/combinations. Definitely not ideal being without the likes of Weyman, Morris, Beale, Cooper, but has given the likes of Stockwell, Quinlan and Cook a run. Stockwell would have to be the biggest beneficiary so far.

So what's the chance of Drinkwater getting another shot if Rein isn't fit? Would think a perfect opportunity to see what he's got against weaker opposition.

Dea

Juniors
Drinkwater in would be worth a shot. King to start, Fein at 7 and then moves to hooker when drinkwater comes off the bench. they hype will be all about dugan so that takes some pressure off as well. Be a good game to give him another run IMO.

And if Coops is out, leave Prior on the bench and give Green or Runciman a run.

Having said all that, this would not be the "safe" option and Price doesn't seem to try things so I can't see it happening....

Minh

First Grade
Stockwell he's a great prospect but why is it that we no longer produce big props 110-115kg plus the likes of Ryles, Stevens, Craig Smith. We used to be known for having a big pack of forwards, now our best prospects are around the 105kg mark.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Stockwell he's a great prospect but why is it that we no longer produce big props 110-115kg plus the likes of Ryles, Stevens, Craig Smith. We used to be known for having a big pack of forwards, now our best prospects are around the 105kg mark.

he is still only a kid a couple of pre seasons in the gym he will fill out and be easily 115kg

Dragon10

Juniors
Stockwell is 21.
In the next couple of years he will fill out to 110 to 115.
Debelin will be smaller and I think suited for back row.
So we definitely will need 1 more big prop.
The good thing about Stockwell is he is mobile.

You do come up with some shit Slip.
Show us where Price has blamed Soward for not putting in? Some on here have, I haven't seen anything suggesting Price has.

One flick pass doesn't make a bloke an 80 minute 5/8 btw. Throwing him in there when not ready could burn him out at best, ruin him at worst.
Thankfully you're not the coach.

In itself that's true.

But look at it another way. A player who throws a flick-pass on debut says the HE thinks he is ready. He is at least excited and confident ...and isn't a lack of confidence in a junior the biggest risk a coach takes when 'throwing some-one in the deep end?

Adam Quinlan is showing all the right signs.

The Price-Is-Right has got to respond!

You're right, the blame Soward is not coming from Price, just maybe it should be from him - and not us keyboard experts.

He (Price) is getting a reputation for sticking to a formula that has demonstrated itself repeatedly that it is NOT working, and in the process declining youth sufficient opportunities. It will be to his own peril, and the frustration of our youth - and supporters.

BTW, my take on Jamie Soward is he is clearly not playing well. I don't accept he is not trying, or has not heart. He IS afraid of getting hit, and making a hit. This is likely due to missing this list of people around him that help him, and get in his ear and lift him (Dell, Uncle Wayne et al). Steve Price is not on that list. And his reaction to losing that support is why he would never be a good leader at Dragons. Maybe at Penrith - I hope so.

saint.nick

Coach
In itself that's true.

But look at it another way. A player who throws a flick-pass on debut says the HE thinks he is ready. He is at least excited and confident ...and isn't a lack of confidence in a junior the biggest risk a coach takes when 'throwing some-one in the deep end?

Adam Quinlan is showing all the right signs.

The Price-Is-Right has got to respond!

You're right, the blame Soward is not coming from Price, just maybe it should be from him - and not us keyboard experts.

He (Price) is getting a reputation for sticking to a formula that has demonstrated itself repeatedly that it is NOT working, and in the process declining youth sufficient opportunities. It will be to his own peril, and the frustration of our youth - and supporters.

BTW, my take on Jamie Soward is he is clearly not playing well. I don't accept he is not trying, or has not heart. He IS afraid of getting hit, and making a hit. This is likely due to missing this list of people around him that help him, and get in his ear and lift him (Dell, Uncle Wayne et al). Steve Price is not on that list. And his reaction to losing that support is why he would never be a good leader at Dragons. Maybe at Penrith - I hope so.

I hate how Soward always needs someone to push him along to keep him going, whether it be Dell or Wayne. It's just too paternalistic. He needs to lead himself; he's a grown professional footballer for christ's sake. Adding to that, he needs to back up his third person comments with good performances. He's always moaning about people giving him criticism, but that's because it's warranted. That's why he's quite unpopular with non dragons fans, because he just projects a really petulant attitude when he's being criticised, and when he's winning or in form, he comes across as really cocky and arrogant, with a real hollywood diva demeanour, like in the NSW origin camp. If he wants people to lay off him, he needs to be more physical, which = getting involved with the line. That's what a five eighth needs to do in addition to having a great kicking game, unless they are given an alternative strategy by a master coach like bennett. However though, Bennett only did this because he knew soward was too scared to take the line on in the first place. had he done so, maybe we wouldn't have been a 'boring' team with no x-factor before Gasnier returned. Price clearly isn't going to have the same influence on him, so he needs to stand up and lead himself.

Last edited:

Latest posts