What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons player of the year

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
T. Sims by a mile.

Friz was very good in patches but he was used firstly as a battering ram and always cut back into traffic. This showed in the number of tries he scored this year (5). The last couple of games he got the mojo right.

JDB was good but post origin his form dropped off considerably. Evident from him walking back on side.

Widdop was on target until injured.

McInnes had a strong year but needs to run more and take control aka C.Smith

The rest were consistently inconsistent. A few good games followed by a few bad games or games they disappeared.

So for mine Sims was the most consistent player for the whole year. Scored 10 tries, was the focus for opposition halves knowing they'd be smashed (and legally), great hole running and good defense.

JDB always walks...or more accurately, ambles...on side in EVERY game.

TruSaint

Referee
In terms of expectations and game changers, Sims was special this year.. Magnifico.

In the minority but i would also have this fella in the mix...

Cam McInness.

The 24-year-old never missed a game and touched the ball more than any other player in the competition in 2018 with 2794 receipts. He fell second behind Damien Cook for most carries out of dummy half and set up nine tries from close range.

He finished the season with 1147 tackles at a team-high 93.5% tackle efficiency, and doubled his running metres compared to last season with 60.5 on average, offering more flare out of dummy half.

Some amazing stats, with still upside. He is 24. I am a huge fan. With some astutute coaching, he will only improve on these already very impressive stats.

source:-
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/20/st-george-illawarra-dragons-2018-season-review/

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Unquestionably Dufty has a very long way to go, however, he did produce some spark in a backline which, at times, looked pedestrian.
I agree that Dufty has lots of room for improvement. I do also agree that Dufty was our only X factor in our backline. I would like to see him learn to inject himself into the backline like Slater and Holmes do.

TruSaint

Referee
I agree that Dufty has lots of room for improvement. I do also agree that Dufty was our only X factor in our backline. I would like to see him learn to inject himself into the backline like Slater and Holmes do.

He can score points if he injects himself into the game.

His defensive reads, his commitment to the high ball, etc are below par. Slater and Holmes are galaxies away.

Like I said, has talent, but a way to go.

Not sold yet.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

I thought that was one of his regular and positive features for the year.