What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Pride

Mr Red

First Grade
The test for the 'newly converted' Mary fans, will be when we go thru a rough trot, its not exactly an amazing feat to get behind a team that's won 5 in a row.

genuine question:
do you think Mary is the difference, or someone like Dean Young telling the forwards to harden up !
i mean after an extended period as attacking coach, and now as first grade coach since mid season last year our attack is still floundering...

the only change on the field seems to be the attitude of the forwards, nothing technically or strategically different at all... still poor in these areas
attitude change i think *could* be more someone like Hornby or Young giving the forwards a reality check...

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
genuine question:
do you think Mary is the difference, or someone like Dean Young telling the forwards to harden up !
i mean after an extended period as attacking coach, and now as first grade coach since mid season last year our attack is still floundering...

the only change on the field seems to be the attitude of the forwards, nothing technically or strategically different at all... still poor in these areas
attitude change i think *could* be more someone like Hornby or Young giving the forwards a reality check...

Could be the case, but you're not giving enough credit to Mary for the complete transformation in attitude, particularly by our forwards. Yes, it helps to have 2 legends in Deano and Hornby in the fold, but don't under estimate Mary's role in this as well.

I don't agree that we don't have talent in this team. Other than the premiership heavyweights (Rabbits, Dogs, Roosters Storm and Broncos), I think we stack up quite well personnel wise.

A recruitment class of Marshall, Widdop, Dugan, and Thompson. 3 bona fide rep players in Nighty, Creagh and Merrin. Frizell was a gun when recruited and is proving to be so. De Belin was NYC player of the year and is finally realising his potential. And finally Aitken who is one of the best young talents in the game. And imagine if we had kept Bird? Teams like the Raiders, Titans, Tigers, Knights etc would be pretty happy with a roster like ours.

Any coach worth his salt should be getting results with this group (hence I consider making the 8 as a pass mark). I think we are all getting excited as we are comparing our recent success to the Price years. But really we need to aim higher.

Not sure if Mary is the messiah just yet, but time will tell.

Minh

First Grade
The test for the 'newly converted' Mary fans, will be when we go thru a rough trot, its not exactly an amazing feat to get behind a team that's won 5 in a row.

Agree, the season is long but it does seem like Mary can get the team up to play irrespective of coaching strategies. He's done far better than I could have imagined turning the team fortunes, I hope he continues to inspire.

genuine question:

I suspect you are on the money, Red.

None of Mary's Cuuter sides showed any form of consistent commitment in defence and would often lose after holding huge leads.

Its most likely Hornby/Young.

Unlikely to be Millward, as his teams were all over the place.

In any event, Mary was good enough to give the entire coaching staff the credit for our recent run, rather than taking the credit for this achievement. This being the case, he should be supported to the max.

Juniors
He would have a big say as to who would be the assistant coaches and support staff. The brisbane game at kogarah had so much 2010 about it from the defence, the crowd the presser. Early days yet but ya gotta give him some credit.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
genuine question:
The answer is in the timing. Exactly when was Dean Young promoted as forwards coach?

Juniors
willow. i get the timing thing. however the rookie coach is responsible for the assistants and oversees the way he wants the squad to develop. he takes the good with the bad just like we do. i didnt expect much this year for a lot of reasons so at this early stage ya have to bang em together for ol mary.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just asking the question.
We all know Dean Young was appointed as an assistant but I was curious if he stepped up to the crease as forwards coach, or when this happened. There was major turnaround in defence between rounds 2 to 3. Let's face it, we were woeful prior to this turnaround, and I'm all for paying credit where it's due.

Juniors
mate the defence has him and hornby all over it. was at the broncs game and the players were buying into it big time. whether its the processes or the belief marys in charge.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
mate the defence has him and hornby all over it.
That's the general view.
was at the broncs game and the players were buying into it big time. whether its the processes or the belief marys in charge.
I was there too, but there was a major turnaround some weeks before. It was a big reversal of form.

When things were going pear shaped, the team just lifted. I'd like to think the coaches and players finally worked it out and they were feeling the pressure from the fanbase. But it's more likely that someone in the coaching staff stepped up.

Juniors
you me n most be speculating but the defence has been there since the start cept the tiges game. accordin to the media we been focusing on tough defence since the pre season. 1st game only 8 points against the storm. pretty sure mary or a team member laid some accolades on young for his defensive patterns mind set. i would back the coaching staff had this strategy well before season start and has to come from the head coach albeit in consult with ben and youngy. either way im sure ya with me that so far so good!

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
It was Bennett who instilled that defensive mindset with young and Hornby. Don't forget Young and Hornby were also part of the brown era when defence wasn't our strong point.

It's obviously working. Last offseason, I was hoping that Mary would focus on our defence and in turn, that would translate to a similar season we had in 2009. So far we are on track to achieving that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks 2217, you speak better than I. lol. But I got the gist of it. :thumn

Get2, from what I recall, Hornby and Young were all over Bennett from the get-go. They told him the players were on board. I feel that Bennett didn't have this same support in Newcastle.

It must have been a two-way street. Playing under Bennett must have rubbed off on Young and Hornby to some degree.

Juniors
mate the feel of 2010 at the game was uncanny. side note bennett had a lot of drags ol squad and most of the knights and still fell short. as ya said willow if ya lost the sheds well..........

Fingerbang

Bench
Tis good to see a new slant on opinions of Mary.....like our turnaround must be due to Young and Hornby, and not Mary.

Gee....I would have thought success would be due to a coaching team, including guys like Cherry Mescia etc. A team which was setup and managed by a head coach who seems to be doing a great job.

Juniors
we only see mary from a fans perspective. hes inherited an average squad. the expectation of this squad by most was low. he is a 1st grade rookie coach. at this stage no matter who you think is lifting the team he is the top dog. the team is performing and at this stage i tips me hat

bottle

Coach
Defence against the Storm was sound.
Was tripe against the Tiges, early on in particular.
Was tripe early on against the Raiders.
Maybe Deano was given the gig at half time against Canberra, because it all turned around from there.:sarcasm:

Elias1983

Coach
Defence against the Storm was sound.
Was tripe against the Tiges, early on in particular.
Was tripe early on against the Raiders.
Maybe Deano was given the gig at half time against Canberra, because it all turned around from there.:sarcasm:

The sin binning of dugan was the turn around for mine.

Latest posts