What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons put red line through Todd Carney, Jackson Hastings joining club

TruSaint

Referee
569809_640x360_large_20161009103457.jpg

Wigan win Super League GF

0:44
Dragons put red line through Todd Carney, Jackson Hastings joining club
  • an hour ago
  • by PAUL CRAWLEY
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph
ST GEORGE Illawarra have put a red line through troubled Todd Carney and Jackson Hastings joining the Dragons.

The club was initially keen to negotiate with both playmakers as replacements for Benji Marshall next year but has made an abrupt about-face.

It is understood the Dragons were warned off signing 30-year-old Carney by the NRL, while they decided not to pursue 20-year-old Hastings due to concerns about whether his personality would fit into their squad.

Marshall’s hopes of playing next season look more doubtful. Melbourne appear to be the 31-year-old’s last hope of an NRL lifeline after talks with Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

Carney is also on the lookout for a new home after he parted ways in mysterious circumstances with French Super League club Catalans with two years to run on his contract.

c5741843e78532b8717facc1fc274929

Todd Carney is on the lookout for a new home.Source: The Daily Telegraph
It was initially indicated that Carney wanted to have one last crack at the NRL, while Catalans have indicated they want to focus future recruitment on “behaviour” on and off the field.

It is understood Dragons chief executive Peter Doust was told by the NRL that the club would struggle to have a contract with Carney registered.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg did not return calls on Sunday, while integrity unit chief Nick Weeks directed inquiries to the media department. But NRL communications head Peter Grimshaw did not return calls.

Hastings is also struggling to secure his future after he finished the year on the outer at the Sydney Roosters.

fcea198bc5cded4162d0bf1f3168018d

Jackson Hastings is struggling to secure his future. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
St George Illawarra recruitment boss Ian Millward told The Daily Telegraph that his club would now concentrate on finding a halves partner for skipper Gareth Widdop from contenders in their system.

Local junior Drew Hutchinson is tipped to get first crack after leading the Illawarra Cutters to a grand final victory, while utility back Kurt Mann has also asked to be considered as a No.6.

Veteran Josh McCrone is the other option and he proved more than a capable partner for Widdop in his appearances with the Dragons this year.

The club also looks set to secure Canberra’s Paul Vaughan on a three-year deal believed to be worth $1.5 million.

hazzbeen

Bench
Well not much left in the halved department . We look like going into 2017 with much the same squad same coach

TruSaint

Referee
Well not much left in the halved department . We look like going into 2017 with much the same squad same coach

I think we are fine up front, and in the backline with Nene, Milne, Flo, Dugan, Aitken etc.
Halves, we lack depth, unless they trial Mann.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We've backed ourselves into a corner here. Banking everything on Hutch is a HUGE gamble.
Mann hasn't played in the halves since juniors so that's an even bigger gamble and would be an act of desperation to play him in the halves.

Carney would have provided us with experience and attacking spark, it's a real shame he's a bit of a dickhead.

There's all this talk that we'll be cashed up and primed for the market in 2018 when a lot of players come off contract, especially in the halves, but even that is a huge gamble for the club. Based on our record of signing players we probably won't come up with anything then either.
Rough times.

Uplifting

Juniors
Personally I like the let's look inside our system for a halfback approach. Might require some lateral thinking but 'look and ye shall find'...

Uplifting

Juniors
Some of our half options (to partner Widdop at 7 or 6):
Nona
Hutch
Mann
Quinlan
Dufty
Payne?

I bet Milne could even play 5/8 but that's not goin to happen.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Personally I like the let's look inside our system for a halfback approach. Might require some lateral thinking but 'look and ye shall find'...

I wonder what Milward, McGregor and Doust discussed with that mentality.

"Right... So we've missed out on every opportunity to sign a quality halfback because it's everyone else's fault and definitely not ours... So let's look at our own system..

We've got Josh McCrone who has been excellent for us and a true leader of the club
(Hasn't played a solid game of Rugby League since 2013 and is at the wrong end of his career)

We've got Drew Hutchison who is our shining star and junior rep who has shown he deserves a shot from Cutters performances
(Is showing signs of being too slow, too big and carries a distinct lack of vision from halfback, not to mention that Grand Final was the first game he's shown up for the Cutters in months)

And then of course there's Kurt Mann! Boy what a versatile marquee signing he was, I bet he will take us to a premiership playing at his PREFERRED position of halfback.
(Hasn't played in the halves since juniors, and that was at 5/8)

Looks like we're sorted in the halves guys! Nothing to worry about"

nrlnrl

First Grade
Some of our half options (to partner Widdop at 7 or 6):
Nona
Hutch
Mann
Quinlan
Dufty
Payne?

I bet Milne could even play 5/8 but that's not goin to happen.
I can take 2 off that list. It's been mentioned on other threads, but Nona has signed with Townsville Blackhawks & Quinlan hasn't been offered a contract by the Dragons or Cutters for 2017. Jai Field looks a better option than Payne at this stage & is a very good goal kicker. He's even been mentioned as someone they think will be ready to make the transition to senior footy in a couple of years. (still eligible for Holden Cup next year too).

mobels

Juniors

"Right... So we've missed out on every other opportunity to sign a quality halfback because it's everyone else's fault and definitely not ours... So let's look at our own system..

We've got Josh McCrone who has been excellent for us and a true leader of the club
(Hasn't played a solid game of Rugby League since 2013 and is at the wrong end of his career)

We've got Drew Hutchison who is our shining star and junior rep who has shown he deserves a shot from Cutters performances
(Is showing signs of being too slow, too big and carries a distinct lack of vision from halfback, not to mention that Grand Final was the first game he's shown up for the Cutters in months)

And then of course there's Kurt Mann! Boy what a versatile marquee signing he was, I bet he will take us to a premiership playing at his PREFERRED position of halfback.

While the options within our own system aren't superstars I'd say they're the best options available for at this point in time for us. Hutchinson will be serviceable in the top grade but however not a superstar.

We'll most definitely be signing a halfback for 2018 - whether it be for overs or not. The best case scenario for the club is to frontload some of the contracts next year with the spare cash we have from offloading Benji, Rein etc. And getting very active in the marketplace next year for a halfback.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
While the options within our own system aren't superstars I'd say they're the best options available for at this point in time for us. Hutchinson will be serviceable in the top grade but however not a superstar.

We'll most definitely be signing a halfback for 2018 - whether it be for overs or not. The best case scenario for the club is to frontload some of the contracts next year with the spare cash we have from offloading Benji, Rein etc. And getting very active in the marketplace next year for a halfback.

Luke Brooks, Fa'amanu Brown, Zach Dockar-Clay, Jaelen Feeney, Jackson Hastings, Ato Hingano, Ben Hunt, Ryley Jacks, Shaun Johnson, Kyle Laybutt, Mason Lino, Josh McCrone,Anthony Milford, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Mitchell Pearce, Jordan Rankin, Adam Reynolds,Tyrone Roberts, Johnathan Thurston, Gareth Widdop

These are the halfbacks off contract at the end of next year. Out of this cluster, I would sign the following:
Shaun Johnson: We should go all out for him but let's be honest... It's a VERY good chance he'll re-sign with the Warriors and I think every club in the NRL would be chasing him.
Ben Hunt: Pretty sure he's already a done deal locked into the Eels.
Anthony Milford: Again, a lot of clubs will be after him, including the Broncos. I also think he's not exactly a halfback anyway.
Mitchell Pearce: I mean... We could make a play for him.. But I probably wouldn't.
Adam Reynolds: Reynolds is the most realistic option out of this bunch, we'd have to pay overs for him though and there's no guarantee of what his form will be like at this stage
Johnathan Thurston: No need to even go here, he'll stay with the Cowboys.

So in response to your comment, we're going to have to play hard if we are to sign a quality halfback for 2018, there are a lot of variables playing against us. We would need to start negotiations on the f**king 1st of November THIS year. Reynolds is the most realistic, Johnson would be the most desirable.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I can take 2 off that list. It's been mentioned on other threads, but Nona has signed with Townsville Blackhawks & Quinlan hasn't been offered a contract by the Dragons or Cutters for 2017. Jai Field looks a better option than Payne at this stage & is a very good goal kicker. He's even been mentioned as someone they think will be ready to make the transition to senior footy in a couple of years. (still eligible for Holden Cup next year too).

Nona has a get out clause in his Blackhawks contract if he is picked up by an NRL team, so technically he's still an option and JD calls him the best 5/8 not playing NRL.
Agree with Field but he'll be the one in 2018 after a year integrating between the U20's and Cutters system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hutch in 7 and Mann is 5/8, with Widdop back to F/B and Dugan moved to centre.
McCrone has been playing hooker rotation in the Cutters, so he's a back-up only.

Uplifting

Juniors

"Right... So we've missed out on every opportunity to sign a quality halfback because it's everyone else's fault and definitely not ours... So let's look at our own system..

Point taken about those players mentioned - thanks for the reality check. Still I think we must have viable option in-house.

There are 16 teams in the NRL, and to believe that there are only 32 players good enough to play first grade in the halves is far-fetched.

Also, the view that all the potential FG halves are at other clubs/systems is a paradox. Our club is another club to the other 15.

loose arm

Juniors

I think Hutch is a huge upgrade on barge barse

FlameThrower

Bench
What a joke, as usual we end up with zero.
With now a suggestion of wholesale change of positions, and going by previous attempts, they'll train off season, then a few games into the season...it fails, we panic and go back to more or less 2016 squad makeup.
Finally, Garney is a goose, but he did not have a Jail term against him...
NRL playing games and as someone stated, if it was the Bulldogs...there would be some 'offseason' counselling realignment on player behaviour and he would be playing next year...
On Hastings...opportunity lost he is unwanted, we were only likely choice, could have been a handy utility player off the Bench, ie Hooker or halves...a 1 year deal to prove himself with an option for a 2 year extension. Would have been a low risk signing...

Latest posts