What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruit's Spine Dilemma

possm

Coach
New Dragons hooker Jacob Liddle admits the lack of time with his spine in pre-season will be a challenge heading into his first season with the Red V.

Fullback Cody Ramsey has battled illness, while Ben Hunt and Talatau Amone have been on leave after the World Cup, meaning Liddle will have about a month before pre-season games start to nail down his combinations with his fellow spine players.

“It’s hard at the moment with Cody being out and having a hard time,” Liddle told The Daily Telegraph.

“Our halves Ben Hunt and Junior aren’t here yet due to the World Cup.

“That’s going to be the most important thing, getting that relationship with my halves as soon as possible. There won’t be a whole lot of time going into the season.

“I’ll sit down and have a coffee with them and go over things as soon as possible – I’m keen to see where we can go this year.”

Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is excited for a new challenge at the Dragons.
Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is excited for a new challenge at the Dragons.Source: The Daily Telegraph

After scoring 12 tries in 74 games for the Tigers since his debut in 2016, Liddle is excited for the challenge of becoming the Dragons’ long-term No.9, despite only signing a one-year deal.

“The boys have been great, it’s new scenery and a change,” Liddle said.

“There was a bit of a brick wall at the Tigers and with Api (Koroisau) coming across, I was due for a change.

“I’d love to be a long-term hooker down here. McCullough has retired, so it’s opened for me to take.

“Zane (Musgrove) has come over with me. Moses (Suli) was at the Tigers, so was Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye.

“I’m just having a red-hot crack and working hard every day. There are no more excuses – it’s all on me.

The simple solution is to start the season with Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback. See how Sullivan goes at NRL level and how Liddles goes as the reserve grade hooker. Put Mbye at 14 in the NRL team.

838881_640x360_large_20221207090312.jpg

Mam bulking up to avoid 2nd year slump | 01:58

“There’s some familiarity here, but it’s also been so refreshing to get going at a new club.”

Liddle revealed the fitness levels of the Dragons squad had impressed him after switching from the Tigers following the 2022 season.

“I’ve never been to a club where everyone has been this fit,” Liddle said.

“We do a lot of running. The boys can run, I’ll tell you that.

“I was trying to keep up with them at the start of pre-season training, but now I’m getting back up there.

“I don’t know what’s really happened over the past few years at the club.

“But at the moment the vibe and the positivity around the club has been good.”

Crush

Coach
Haha, love his honesty.
There was a "brick wall" at Tigers with a better hooker than him so he knew he wouldn't play first grade.
So he came to the Dragons (where he's assured a spot)
Oh and its all cosy at dragons now too because there are lots of familiar tigers faces.

My favourite quote “I’ve never been to a club where everyone has been this fit,”
He's played for Wyong Roos and Wests Tigers....

Walpole

Juniors
Haha, love his honesty.
There was a "brick wall" at Tigers with a better hooker than him so he knew he wouldn't play first grade.
So he came to the Dragons (where he's assured a spot)
Oh and its all cosy at dragons now too because there are lots of familiar tigers faces.

My favourite quote “I’ve never been to a club where everyone has been this fit,”
He's played for Wyong Roos and Wests Tigers....
There's a better hooker than him at the Dragons too, but luckily for Liddle that bloke won't play hooker...

justadragon

Bench
New Dragons hooker Jacob Liddle admits the lack of time with his spine in pre-season will be a challenge heading into his first season with the Red V.

Fullback Cody Ramsey has battled illness, while Ben Hunt and Talatau Amone have been on leave after the World Cup, meaning Liddle will have about a month before pre-season games start to nail down his combinations with his fellow spine players.

“It’s hard at the moment with Cody being out and having a hard time,” Liddle told The Daily Telegraph.

“Our halves Ben Hunt and Junior aren’t here yet due to the World Cup.

“That’s going to be the most important thing, getting that relationship with my halves as soon as possible. There won’t be a whole lot of time going into the season.

“I’ll sit down and have a coffee with them and go over things as soon as possible – I’m keen to see where we can go this year.”

Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is excited for a new challenge at the Dragons.
Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is excited for a new challenge at the Dragons.Source: The Daily Telegraph

After scoring 12 tries in 74 games for the Tigers since his debut in 2016, Liddle is excited for the challenge of becoming the Dragons’ long-term No.9, despite only signing a one-year deal.

“The boys have been great, it’s new scenery and a change,” Liddle said.

“There was a bit of a brick wall at the Tigers and with Api (Koroisau) coming across, I was due for a change.

“I’d love to be a long-term hooker down here. McCullough has retired, so it’s opened for me to take.

“Zane (Musgrove) has come over with me. Moses (Suli) was at the Tigers, so was Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye.

“I’m just having a red-hot crack and working hard every day. There are no more excuses – it’s all on me.

The simple solution is to start the season with Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback. See how Sullivan goes at NRL level and how Liddles goes as the reserve grade hooker. Put Mbye at 14 in the NRL team.

838881_640x360_large_20221207090312.jpg

Mam bulking up to avoid 2nd year slump | 01:58

“There’s some familiarity here, but it’s also been so refreshing to get going at a new club.”

Liddle revealed the fitness levels of the Dragons squad had impressed him after switching from the Tigers following the 2022 season.

“I’ve never been to a club where everyone has been this fit,” Liddle said.

“We do a lot of running. The boys can run, I’ll tell you that.

“I was trying to keep up with them at the start of pre-season training, but now I’m getting back up there.

“I don’t know what’s really happened over the past few years at the club.

“But at the moment the vibe and the positivity around the club has been good.”
That will never happen Possm whilst Hook is HC

possm

Coach
Surely, the Dragons would have to have one of the least expensive spines in the NRL (about 2m) so, where is all of the salary cap money spent?

Sloan / Ramsey 350k
Armone - 400k
Hunt - 900k
Liddle - 350k

Crush

Coach
Surely, the Dragons would have to have one of the least expensive spines in the NRL (about 2m) so, where is all of the salary cap money spent?

Sloan / Ramsey 350k
Armone - 400k
Hunt - 900k
Liddle - 350k
JDB, Su’a, Lomax, Suli would be eating up a fair chunk.

possm

Coach
JDB, Su’a, Lomax, Suli would be eating up a fair chunk.
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Still well within the cap and not much in comparison to what is paid at other clubs. The Club must have a couple of marquees forwards on the hook or, have been front-ending some key player's contracts in preparation for 2024.

Remember we have let go of Sims 800k and replaced him with....? We also must make it so that Dean Young gets a top-line squad to ensure first-year success.

Old Timer

Coach
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Still well within the cap and not much in comparison to what is paid at other clubs. The Club must have a couple of marquees forwards on the hook or, have been front-ending some key player's contracts in preparation for 2024.

Remember we have let go of Sims 800k and replaced him with....? We also must make it so that Dean Young gets a top-line squad to ensure first-year success.
You forgot about the $900k for Hunt

Crush

Coach
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Were you getting these numbers from?
I’m sure I read JDB was on 700K, Suli and Su’a too are on more than that I reckon too.

Old Timer

Coach
I
Is it not over $1 mill for Hunts last year on a back ended option he took
900 is the 24 and 25 salary I believe
You could very well be right

I thought I read somewhere it was supposed to be $900k plus a $100k in a TPA

Crush

Coach
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Just had a look, according to zerotackle website
JDB 750K
Suli 565K
Su’a 600K

Latest posts