What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Fijian Wing Sensation

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah have a theory and what I think is the media love pumping up the price tags of players we sign, love splashing it all over the papers claiming we pay overs, and then for some reason rarely mention other clubs who lure the games biggest names without barely a mention of their price tag.

Except for DCE. but Benny Hunt whilst whatever he is on it may be overs but has been unfairly put out on display, only because he is supposedly and reportingly getting the same as the elite like JT, Slater, Smith & Co, but most of us know that their salaries reported could be unders...believe it or not. They forget about TPA's when reporting stuff...but the media distorting the truth for an outrage or a story......who would of thought. Not in rugby league

BLM01

First Grade
Don't worry BLM it will not happen.
Great Samy, but he played alright last night.
But gee Roosters are boring to watch and they only have a stifled attack, one play down their left side and or a Cronk kick, or past back inside to Teddy. Oops I forgot they put 36 on us recently.
Geez I hope the refs get out the origin mentality and at least ref the ruck or get em back onside. Referring at the moment will suit the Roosters like the change of penalty reduction mid year (no coincidence) and they will beat Melb unless they get back on side

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Yeah have a theory and what I think is the media love pumping up the price tags of players we sign, love splashing it all over the papers claiming we pay overs, and then for some reason rarely mention other clubs who lure the games biggest names without barely a mention of their price tag.
Media grubs

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
How about this thread gets posted correctly
“Yet again Dragon fans put huge wraps on an unproven player at the cost of their existing squad and up and coming yet to be blooded juniors”

Well said OT- While we're signing "Fijian internationals" (Rugby is by far the bigger of the two codes over there so if he was a Rugby international I would be more impressed) the Roosters are signing tried and tested internationals like Brett Morris and Ryan Hall. Dig up Frank Facer.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Cotric and Rapana is the best wing pairing in the comp.

Bit hard to get a run over those two.

Good point-BUT- for the last six weeks or so they played Brad Abbey in place of the suspended Wighton and he had some shockers- and didn't get dropped. M argument is that Rav could have played wing if he was that crash hot and Cotric, who plays full-back well, could taken over from the hapless Abbey.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
L
Good point-BUT- for the last six weeks or so they played Brad Abbey in place of the suspended Wighton and he had some shockers- and didn't get dropped. M argument is that Rav could have played wing if he was that crash hot and Cotric, who plays full-back well, could taken over from the hapless Abbey.
Didn't they know he was joining the Saints so banished him to the local comp

TomRedVRiver

Bench
How about this thread gets posted correctly
“Yet again Dragon fans put huge wraps on an unproven player at the cost of their existing squad and up and coming yet to be blooded juniors”

Understand and agree with your sentiments OT, but if I might ask, who are these "unblooded juniors" that you speak of? Particularly junior wingers?
Garrick? I'd rather have Ken Sio on the wing. He's awful.
Herbert? Not a winger, at all. He played a few matches there in ISP and was dreadful. His potential is best utilised at fullback or centre.
Pereira? He's not a Dragons junior at all, he was bought from the outside which contradicts what you're trying to say. He and Ravalawa can fight it out for the right wing spot if MacDonald stays here.
Marsters? 18, not there yet. Not even close.

That's all our (potential) junior wingers in the squad right now. We needed to buy someone. AT LEAST one winger, perhaps even two.

Let's not write off Ravalawa before we see any of him.

Old Timer

Coach
Understand and agree with your sentiments OT, but if I might ask, who are these "unblooded juniors" that you speak of? Particularly junior wingers?
Garrick? I'd rather have Ken Sio on the wing. He's awful.
Herbert? Not a winger, at all. He played a few matches there in ISP and was dreadful. His potential is best utilised at fullback or centre.
Pereira? He's not a Dragons junior at all, he was bought from the outside which contradicts what you're trying to say. He and Ravalawa can fight it out for the right wing spot if MacDonald stays here.
Marsters? 18, not there yet. Not even close.

That's all our (potential) junior wingers in the squad right now. We needed to buy someone. AT LEAST one winger, perhaps even two.

Let's not write off Ravalawa before we see any of him.
I think you are misinterpreting my post a little.
People in here are saying this winger is a sensation and intimating he should be a walk up start for 1st grade in Nighty's spot.
I am suggesting that there is no evidence he is a star what soever and why should he be preference to people we already have on our junior books who are just as credentialed / un-credentialed as he is?
Again the notion that outside players are better than existing players is being pushed when there is no evidence to support the argument.
IF Nene stays then obviously the starting wingers will be N McD and JP.
If Nene goes then the argument of what the backline will be, will start around the question of whether Aitken & Lafai are the starting centres or Lomax & Lafai.
If it is the former pairing then where to for Lomax?
Well if it isn't the wing and the "Fijian Sensation" gets a start the system is f**ked.
If Lafai & Lomax (IMO unlikely knowing you know who) are the starting centres, then there is a wing spot to be looked at but the notion that an untried junior from another club gets the spot automatically ahead of anyone we already have is just ludicrous and a great disincentive to be a junior at our club.
Whilst you say our wing stocks are low which may in fact be correct there is nothing saying what we have purchased is any better.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
I think you are misinterpreting my post a little.
People in here are saying this winger is a sensation and intimating he should be a walk up start for 1st grade in Nighty's spot.
I am suggesting that there is no evidence he is a star what soever and why should he be preference to people we already have on our junior books who are just as credentialed / un-credentialed as he is?
Again the notion that outside players are better than existing players is being pushed when there is no evidence to support the argument.
IF Nene stays then obviously the starting wingers will be N McD and JP.
If Nene goes then the argument of what the backline will be, will start around the question of whether Aitken & Lafai are the starting centres or Lomax & Lafai.
If it is the former pairing then where to for Lomax?
Well if it isn't the wing and the "Fijian Sensation" gets a start the system is f**ked.
If Lafai & Lomax (IMO unlikely knowing you know who) are the starting centres, then there is a wing spot to be looked at but the notion that an untried junior from another club gets the spot automatically ahead of anyone we already have is just ludicrous and a great disincentive to be a junior at our club.
Whistle you say our wing stocks are low which may in fact be correct there is nothing saying what we have purchased is any better.

I agree with you OT in that he should not be a walk up start for first grade and that he is not a wing sensation at this point in time and may never be one. I dont agree that we have well credentialled juniors waiting to become wing sensations. We have no junior who looks like being a Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, Radradra, Cotrick, Rapana, Oates etc. Ravalawa may not be the one either but we have to give up the sentiment surrounding "our" juniors and start rolling possibilities through the system. if we are going to find them.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree with you OT in that he should not be a walk up start for first grade and that he is not a wing sensation at this point in time and may never be one. I dont agree that we have well credentialled juniors waiting to become wing sensations. We have no junior who looks like being a Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, Radradra, Cotrick, Rapana, Oates etc. Ravalawa may not be the one either but we have to give up the sentiment surrounding "our" juniors and start rolling possibilities through the system. if we are going to find them.

Our big wing hope is Jason Saab.
He will join the DS next year and barely 18yrs old.
He's tall and fast and will play JF ans even some ISP next year.

The other one I hope they sign is SSE. He's still eligible for JF but played a fair few games in ISP this year even in the finals and did a good job. Not tall but a nuggety type who can find the line.

So we have a few. The fact we signed Ravalawa (assumed so) would be for cover only. ISP are losing Garrick and posssibly Herbert and have relied on a part-timer fod the other wing spot John Touhi. Add in that Lomax should be playing 1st grade next season, their sticks are short in the backs.

Carlton

Juniors

The other one I hope they sign is SSE. He's still eligible for JF but played a fair few games in ISP this year even in the finals and did a good job. Not tall but a nuggety type who can find the line.

So we have a few. The fact we signed Ravalawa (assumed so) would be for cover only. ISP are losing Garrick and posssibly Herbert and have relied on a part-timer fod the other wing spot John Touhi. Add in that Lomax should be playing 1st grade next season, their sticks are short in the backs.

I also think that Saab, SSE are our two possibilities but this isn't enough and there is no guarantee they will make it. Saab also is young and a way off first grade. I think Ravalawa has been bought as more than just an ISP squad player. I think he has been bought as a possible near future first grader who shows some potential that may result in him being more than just good. Start him in ISP and if he isnt showing whats needed look to move him on and sign the next one.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Absolutely Dragonslayer.

possm

Coach
Absolutely Dragonslayer.

Nightingale has retired so we need a right side winger to replace him.

Macdonald is a left side winger and if he leaves we need a first grade winger to replace him.

Ah Mau has left and K Sims is replacing him.

We have been one good first grade prop down all season.

My suggestions are as follows:

Buy a new first grade winger to play on the right side.
Move Mann to the left wing.
Buy a top first grade prop.

Last edited: