What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Fijian Wing Sensation

Drag Queen

Bench
I see your point, however I’d say Vaughan is not a good example. We paid top dollar 750k which was a lot at the time. (Which caused a forum melt down) Had a form, slump prior to us getting him. Canberra had two 2 good props at this time, one a current test player (Boyd).

But as you say Pereira and others like Dufty, Lomax, Lawry, Luc maybe similar examples, and given the chance shows recruiting from ISP can be cost effective but I say it can be hit and miss.
Apologies. I had no idea we paid that much for Vaughn. Crazy money for a Raiders/Mounties outcast Belta.

possm

Coach
Apologies. I had no idea we paid that much for Vaughn. Crazy money for a Raiders/Mounties outcast Belta.

I feel sure it was reported to be around the 600k. Remember we refused to pay 700k for Packer at the time. In my opinion we could have had both.

Drag Queen

Bench
Nah Vaughan is a gun, worth every cent and then some. He’s a good exponent of the concept that you get what you pay for, quality doesn’t come cheap. But I do agree with u on Ravalawa, nothing to lose
I agree that Vaughan has been an absolute gun for us. I guess I'm a little surprised he wasn't wanted in FG at the Raiders hence the initial price tag.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I have this feeling McGregor (who unfortunately, will coach us in 2019, no doubt about that) will start 2019 with Lafai and Aitken as the centres.
Lomax will start on Nighty's wing.

Nene will be the other winger (atm) with JP and Ravalawa as the back-ups.

BLM01

First Grade
I see your point, however I’d say Vaughan is not a good example. We paid top dollar 750k which was a lot at the time. (Which caused a forum melt down) Had a form, slump prior to us getting him. Canberra had two 2 good props at this time, one a current test player (Boyd).

But as you say Pereira and others like Dufty, Lomax, Lawry, Luc maybe similar examples, and given the chance shows recruiting from ISP can be cost effective but I say it can be hit and miss.

We did not pay that much for Vaughan. I found the article and it was reported 1.75mill over 3 years. Then after a flying start in his 1st year got an upgrade and extension and maybe now to 750K, even that I am not sure off. I thought I heard 650-700K now....but really no one here would really know..it is all guesswork
But when Merrin was signed for reported again 750K and Tamou for about 700K by Penrith, nearly that for Packer by the Tigers we all thought that was overs too

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
We did not pay that much for Vaughan. I found the article and it was reported 1.75mill over 3 years. Then after a flying start in his 1st year got an upgrade and extension and maybe now to 750K, even that I am not sure off. I thought I heard 650-700K now....but really no one here would really know..it is all guesswork
But when Merrin was signed for reported again 750K and Tamou for about 700K by Penrith, nearly that for Packer by the Tigers we all thought that was overs too
Yeah have a theory and what I think is the media love pumping up the price tags of players we sign, love splashing it all over the papers claiming we pay overs, and then for some reason rarely mention other clubs who lure the games biggest names without barely a mention of their price tag.

JDHD

Juniors
Look, let’s get real here: Ravalawa isn’t a ‘wing sensation’, he’s a 20 year old who hasn’t played grade yet and may well still be learning his trade. Wait until preseason is over and then we’ll start talking about throwing him into the grade lineup.

Crush

Coach
I have this feeling McGregor (who unfortunately, will coach us in 2019, no doubt about that) will start 2019 with Lafai and Aitken as the centres.
Lomax will start on Nighty's wing.

Nene will be the other winger (atm) with JP and Ravalawa as the back-ups.
Yeah I could see Mary doing that.
Or he might move Mann to wing and Lomax to sit on bench for 73 minutes every week.
Either way, nobody will dislodge his first picked centres (Euan and Tinman)

barry

Juniors

750k for Vaughan ? I think you’ve been mislead.

We paid 1.75mil for 3 years with Canberra paying 100k of the first year of his deal.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...act-value-revealed/1fbfl6i1rqp4x1ezxstrqsbv8x

dannyt

Coach
How about this thread gets posted correctly
“Yet again Dragon fans put huge wraps on an unproven player at the cost of their existing squad and up and coming yetvtibbe blooded juniors”
Yep. This gives me the tom tits no end