What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons statement: Player breach

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Yeh the more I thought about it they should have tanked 2 games against Manly & Souths resting 6 and 5 respectively as were allowed to do it that way and then been just about full strength for the other 2 more winnable games
2 out if 4 wins during this period would be acceptable
IMO the coaching staff have made errors trying to spread over 4
Apparently the NRL had to approve the team selections to ensure the Dragons didn't do as you (and i) suggested. The NRL wanted to ensure the Dragons filled a so-called "competitive " team each week. Hasn't worked so far, but maybe the players are more to blame than the selections. I just want it over.

BLM01

First Grade
Apparently the NRL had to approve the team selections to ensure the Dragons didn't do as you (and i) suggested. The NRL wanted to ensure the Dragons filled a so-called "competitive " team each week. Hasn't worked so far, but maybe the players are more to blame than the selections. I just want it over.
NRL did have to approve but it was also them that said we can take 2-4 weeks to use them up

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Does NRL approve teams when they are rested for Finals like the Storm did last year against Saints? Wow.

I think the suspensions have been poorly managed to be honest. Having JDB & Maguire serve the same week is poor. JDB/Sims playing 1 round and Maguire/Sims the other is a more steady backrow rather than a week with none of those 2 in the back row. They are the key to the backrow. Manly rested a few and Saints went in with a stronger side and lost anyway. They should have gone in with the same attitude and wore a brunt of the key suspensions in that game. As for Dufty and Norman? Why pick them at all seeing they were involved in the BBQ as they were not part of the plans. Sad thing is, it was the perfect opportunity to sack Norman for being a repeat offender off the field like they did to Vaughn. Didn't Norman do the runner and they found his wallet? Same with Dufty? Enough said.

As per above Saints should have been able to beat those sides but did not due to poor attitude. Hook started well and I thought he would be more of a harder task master but proving to be like Mary to be honest which is disappointing. I was sick of Mary picking out of form players in the hope they will come good and that is what we are seeing with Hook and his choices of Norman, Dufty and poor Billy Burns being stuck in the centres which he continues to fail. I am sure he will be better in his natural position so play him there not one he is not good at and where we have others who can play that position.

As per my point above, I don't care if Vaughn was punished enough or not, but the Saints are now punished for letting Vaughn possibly play against them next season in a different team if the come up against the Dogs before round 8. He is a quality player. As far as the NRL is concerned he serves no suspension and was fined 50k. Saints then forced to follow suit and go hard. Then the NRL buckle and say, it's ok Vaughn, you play for a different team now and no suspension necessary when you come back to the NRL. That 8 weeks is no longer valid. Like they just wanted him out of there so you can join one of our glamour clubs. I wonder what would have happened if Saints changed their minds and offered him a contract that starts next season for much less?

Trifili13

Juniors
If the NRL said we had to spread the suspensions over 2 to 4 weeks, we should have done it over the 2 hardest games and given ourselves a chance in the other 2. I think I read on this forum that the NRL had to approve our team. Very dangerous ground if teams have to get approval from them as to who plays and who doesn't. Not that their players would be as stupid as ours the attend a bbq when the coach told you not to, but can you imagine what Bellamy or Robbo would tell the NRL if they had to pre-approve their teams.

TruSaint

Referee
If the NRL said we had to spread the suspensions over 2 to 4 weeks, we should have done it over the 2 hardest games and given ourselves a chance in the other 2. I think I read on this forum that the NRL had to approve our team. Very dangerous ground if teams have to get approval from them as to who plays and who doesn't. Not that their players would be as stupid as ours the attend a bbq when the coach told you not to, but can you imagine what Bellamy or Robbo would tell the NRL if they had to pre-approve their teams.

The NRL has to protect the product.

If we ran out a team that was deemed uncompetitive, then the whole code and those invested in it would suffer.

I may not like it, but I understand why they need to overlook a team list. Its the same in the AFL and their draft picks. A team can send out a second rate squad late into the season, ( knowing they have a good chance at first picks in the next draft ), and "tank" games.

This was a self inflicted wound and we wouldn't be talking about " ins and outs" had it not been for the 12 players.

Gareth67

First Grade
The damage is done , the players had to be penalized , however the NRL should had made it a monetary penalty only .

By so doing the Dragons would had been able to continue on with their full regular top grade team , the product would not had been lessened and the club would continue to fulfilled their contractual obligations to the NRL sponsors , plus their own .

However it is all water under the bridge now , we are well and truly up shat creek , the team , players and club .

Cannot wait until season 2022 when the Dragons will hopefully possess players with common sense .

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The damage is done , the players had to be penalized , however the NRL should had made it a monetary penalty only .

By so doing the Dragons would had been able to continue on with their full regular top grade team , the product would not had been lessened and the club would continue to fulfilled their contractual obligations to the NRL sponsors , plus their own .

However it is all water under the bridge now , we are well and truly up shat creek , the team , players and club .

Cannot wait until season 2022 !
Sad, but true. Only benefit is being able to see how the youngsters go. Without the mess they may not have got any chances, especially with the lower grades being cancelled.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Knowing our luck, the NRL will link the 3 cases in QLD to the Dragons and suspend them again.

I saw an interesting stat about teams with the most long term injuries. Saints were the least impacted and Roosters were most impacted yet still top 5. Saints have not fielded a full strength team since the Roosters game due to these suspensions. I reckon on average Saints have had at least 2 players suspended every games since then. Are they really that much of a dirty team to others?

Dragon David

First Grade

Cannot wait until season 2022 when the Dragons will hopefully possess players with common sense .
I'm hoping that 2022 will be a much better year for us. This current one I'd like to put well and truly in the bin.

Mojo

Bench
I'm hoping that 2022 will be a much better year for us. This current one I'd like to put well and truly in the bin.
I was born in Kogarah hospital in 1957. Saint George Rugby League is in my blood. I watched the legends play almost every weekend as a kid. I bought my first footy from Norm Provan himself. I went to school with Robert Stone. I just watched Vossy‘s interview of Slippery Morris. What I always believed was unique about the Dragons was the culture, the ’heart’ of the game. I don’t want to knock any of the current players; I just want ‘the belief’ to come back. We’re are a great sports club; we’re a culture. Play with heart and real belief in what this club stands for boys. That’s what it’s all about!

thebigredv

First Grade
It's official. We will not win a single game post BBQ. Sure, we had issues before that event but it has completely derailed us both through suspensions and mentally.

We invest so much passion, love, care, deliberation and time into supporting this club.

Our darkest hour.

Latest posts