What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons table three-year deal to Moses Suli

SAP58

Juniors
I think he back ends them instead of front ends them and leaves the next bloke having to release half the roster and not buy anyone for 3 years so they can get under the cap.
Taken out of the Bennett coaching manual, thats how he left us in 2011 and beyond.

SBD82

Coach
There’s a surprising amount of positivity in this thread, given Suli’s history.

He’s an absolute gamble, and not one that I’d be willing to take. We have a club full of underperforming players and a shit culture. Why would we bring someone in that has proven that he struggles at clubs unless they have a rock solid culture?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
There’s a surprising amount of positivity in this thread, given Suli’s history.

He’s an absolute gamble, and not one that I’d be willing to take. We have a club full of underperforming players and a shit culture. Why would we bring someone in that has proven that he struggles at clubs unless they have a rock solid culture?
Possibly because no club voluntarily releases their gun players, so you are almost always purchasing the players that a club is willing to let go. Sometimes you can jag a star by buying them early before they are fully developed e.g. Newcastle and Ponga. Sometimes by paying massive overs a great player can be tempted away, but not often. You have to take the best of what is available.

denis preston

First Grade
So much for the “junior development” policy Griffin has spouted…

Suli is devastating, when he wants to be - which has been rare…Has had multiple problems in the past at other clubs before the Sea Eagles.

Not exactly a beige signing like many of the others, but comes across as desperation for a certain coach to try and keep a job beyond 2022, signing a player that already rejected a previous offer.
FFS, if this means we make the 8 or higher and the coach gets a extension isn't that win win for us ? Why very negative on this ?

Illusion

Bench
FFS, if this means we make the 8 or higher and the coach gets a extension isn't that win win for us ? Why very negative on this ?
Its about getting there , and how they get there don't care , as long as they get there ....

Last edited:
That's a big "IF". Yeah it'd be a win. Will it actually happen or is it hope?

But if you are happy with the situation - good for you.

I've even posted up a happy thread, maybe you should try it.

denis preston

First Grade
He’s “buying hope”, not form..
Are you two in adjoining rooms? Sorry about the negative post on your negative posts but reading some good news for a change and still get posters cann it is not the reason i read the forum. I'm just as frustrated on the directors of the club as you are mate but when there is some light , enjoy it .

SBD82

Coach
Possibly because no club voluntarily releases their gun players, so you are almost always purchasing the players that a club is willing to let go. Sometimes you can jag a star by buying them early before they are fully developed e.g. Newcastle and Ponga. Sometimes by paying massive overs a great player can be tempted away, but not often. You have to take the best of what is available.
Sure.

But I’d rather take a punt on a player with potential to reach a higher ceiling and a demonstrated work ethic, rather than one who appears to lack motivation.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
But with no CC cup the last few years, they’ve completely been left aside… in favour of Beale coming back, and now signing this bloke…

It may work out. Suli has had more starts than Phar Lap but a record like Mr Ed.. We’ll see if that changes.
Yeah, I can’t understand why they brought back Beale. Some of his signings left me scratching my head this year. But I’m just hoping that he knows what he’s doing and has more of a clue than Chinless and McFlop. After seeing how well Suli played against the Faders, I was excited. And if he plays like that regularly, then we have a great signing.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
I sincerely hope that Suli has been allotted a car and chauffeur to take him to training and the games.Being a Sydney boy commuting to Wollongong may present problems.Ala Mr.Jason Saab

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Taken out of the Bennett coaching manual, thats how he left us in 2011 and beyond.
Not Bennett’s fault we gave him a 3 year deal when he wanted 5 years. Not his fault so many players chose to follow him to Newcastle and didn’t want to play for Chinless. Thank Bennett that they got their shit together and won the 2010 GF. Had we been smarter, he would’ve stuck around for longer and I’m sure we would have been more successful instead of the one hit wonders we were.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sure.

But I’d rather take a punt on a player with potential to reach a higher ceiling and a demonstrated work ethic, rather than one who appears to lack motivation.
Suli will be far better as one of our centres in place of Bird. Bird has not done much at all in the position, in fact, he is heart attack material and maybe the reason for this is that he has been moved about too often this year in several positions like a few others!?

Dragon David

First Grade
Suli will be far better as one of our centres in place of Bird. Bird has not done much at all in the position, in fact, he is heart attack material and maybe the reason for this is that he has been moved about too often this year in several positions like a few others!?

Oh and far better than Beale.

This Year?

Immortal
Your clearly a half glass empty kind of guy , eh ? I think his value to the side was compounded by Birds ineffectual efforts at centre the second half of the year & no young kid ready for NRL.
Suli is pretty much of the BJ Leilua mold minus the big brain explosions. At his best which is maybe once or twice a season he will have a great game. Has a history of laziness and a bad attitude which doesn't give me any confidence that he will be the right fit for this club.
Happy to eat humble pie if proven wrong though.

SBD82

Coach
I don’t think he’ll be better than Bird. His early season performances this year were shithouse. Off the back of the momentum that was generated by Turbo he has looked good towards the end of the season. But we don’t have a Turbo.

He’s big and moves well but he’s lazy and struggles to maintain his condition. Hasler has managed to motivate him at various times during his stint at Manly, but Hook isn’t fit to tie Des’ bootlaces when it comes to getting the best out of difficult players.